How do I get invited Back? (1 Viewer)

OklahomaBill

Two Pair
Reaction score
Filled in for a no show at a recent home game. Most of the regulars have been playing together for 4-5 years. I played well enough to place 2nd and won back my buy in plus enough money to take my wife out to a nice Resturant. I was pleased with my play and made no serious poker faux pas. This was my first game against real live poker players in over 30 years. I have played nearly 50,000 hands of free poker online and a couple of family night poker over the past couple of years... But not cash poker against "poker players". I played tight but aggressive, I won one monster pot calling the bluff of a younger aggresive player, I won one big pot bluffing a really good player and lost one big pot when I had the K high spade flush at the flop... And he won when a 5 spade turned on the river to fill his A high flush... he just had the bigger Spade flush... Oh well... And he eventually was the nights winner. He is the game host.

So back to the original question... I hope to be invited back to play again... I did have the cards fall for me but I also played well, and I dont think I offended anybody.

How do you play a brand new table to increase you're chances to be invited back?

OKB

Last edited:
Be respectful, play well and get along. After the game, thank the host/organizer, express interest to him quietly and wait to see what happens. That's all you can do.

Be respectful, play well and get along. After the game, thank the host/organizer, express interest to him quietly and wait to see what happens. That's all you can do.

Took the words out of my mouth ^^^^

Most decent hosts don't care how well you play, so long as you follow good poker etiquette and are an enjoyable person to have at the table (ie. get along with others). The only thing I'd add to Jeff's advice is to somehow express to the host, that if you are invited back, you're not someone who will flake out. Be reliable. Reliable players are desirable players.

I think what Jeff said is perfectly on point. As a host of weekly games, courtesy goes a long way with me.

Jeff offered good advice. I have three additional things to offer.

Help clean up or put away stuff afterwards, though after the fact that's hard to do if you didn't while there. However, you could offer to come early and help set up or register people, or anything else they need. I had a guy who I met through another game. He seemed nice enough and came to mine a couple of times. One time he just showed up almost half an hour early. I was already set up, but he visited with my wife and I and we found him to be delightful. Somehow, though I'd met him several times, I didn't realize how personable he was. He showed up to help, but starting showing up early to help. Needless to say, he's a guy I love having come. Even offering to sweep the floor would get noticed and is appreciated. My simple rule is when I'm a guest, leave the place better than I found it. I wasn't much of a Boy Scout, but I did learn that.

If you are good at dealing, offer to deal, but if you aren't good at it, don't volunteer unless asked. I have a guy who has been coming to my game. He offered to deal, so I let him on a night I was short of dealers. He wasn't bad at it, but nothing like the dealers I normally have. Now in fairness, he offered on a night we were short, but if we aren't short, I won't have him doing it. I know he can do it in a pinch, he'll just be a little slower and not as good at is as others. I do appreciate his willingness to help.

Offer to bring something -- food or drink is common, but if you have equipment, you can offer that too. Some people are funny about that and don't want someone bringing in other equipment, even if it's much better than theirs.

As you get more established in a game, you have new options available. I have some ad hoc games and one regular game that I provide the cards, chips, dealer buttons, and timers for. If I can't make that game, I will let them borrow my stuff so my not being there doesn't negatively affect the game.

Bring a poker related gift. Bring them a double deck of cards (good quality like Copags, or other quality cards, but not cheap cards). I've given kitchen timers for timing a couple of times. One host was thrilled I was giving them a timer -- they were going to use a phone and the timer was so much easier. I think it was $8-10 at Target. I played at a game where I saw worn folding table toppers. I bought them neoprene toppers that were easier to manage and must nicer than what they had. I contributed to replacing several decks in a game. That host told me once I was the only person who seemed to notice their equipment needs. Other house gifts are nice, but I do something poker related so they will remember me as a poker player they want back. When I play in a game regularly, I'll do something like a double deck of new cards every few months. It's inexpensive, but greatly appreciated.

Courtesy >>>>>>> skill level. Verified. If I like a guy I'll invite him back. That's really about how complicated it gets for me.

Thanks Gents. I did stay and help clean up a bit. I expressed interest in playing again even as a fill in if needed and that I enjoyed the group.

I'll let you know what happens.

Not much to add other than I have not invited new dudes back after their first visit and also not been invited back to a game in which I was a non-regular/outsider. The latter doesn't bother me one bit because a) as a host I can understand wanting a group that feels comfortable with everyone else at the table [I don't want them having them to worry about their shoes ending up in a snowbank!] and b) don't want to be "that guy" that makes other people uncomfortable for whatever the reason. Some new guys turn out to be great additions to the crew and some don't. Just my $0.02 :)

I agree with what you've already seen in this thread.

It's not about your play (within reason) or your outcome. It's all about you, and whether you're a pleasant addition to have around.

As a host I like new people to fit in and either ask to bring something (I always say no) but, nice to offer. Also nice to offer to assist in cleanup. Cards is a fun night with drinks and fun. If you can't do that you probably won't be back.

When I said play well, what I mean is ... pay attention, put your blinds in without having to be told, bet in turn, announce your action and generally follow poker rules.

I host once in a while...if a new player come by and say, Thank you for having me today. I thought you would like these brand new card for your game.

I will invite that person back anytime, of course, like others have said here. You need to be respectful...

You can get Bicycle Prestige Plastic Playing Cards for $10 a set once they are on sales.

Of course, if you were filling in, and the table was full, there just might not be many chances to be invited back. Since you were invited once, you are obviously on their radar. Just be patient, and if the return invites don't happen, buy chips and host your own game - but on a different night.

Last edited:
Good idea Zombie! In fact, you already have an idea of where to get some players. Doing it on a different night means you aren't competing with the host's game, and if you are hosting a game some are coming to, you are more likely to be invited back. One more thing, make your game different than their game. Variety is the spice of life and makes your game even less competitive with theirs.

When I said play well, what I mean is ... pay attention, put your blinds in without having to be told, bet in turn, announce your action and generally follow poker rules.

I guess I must be great to have at the table, as I am often labeled human rain delay...

I do agree in general though.

Don't bitch about equipment...I had a group of guys bitch about my copaqs, so I switched to cheap plastic Royals...then I was so pissed I went and got out a deck of cheap hoyle cards we keep for camping. Bitched plastics were too slippery.

I'm still bitter.

Anyone that complains your Copags are too slippery are the ones to most likely be your donors. Suck it up, and keep the good cards out.

I say suck it up on the complaints, but keep the good cards out.

Let them know that if it's "too much deck" for them, they can ask someone else to deal, but that you don't want to break out kiddie cards and sippy cups.

It's like a sportscar; you need to be careful with it. They'll learn to handle your sportscards eventually.

Anyone that complains your Copags are too slippery are the ones to most likely be your donors. Suck it up, and keep the good cards out.
I think Copags are too slippery, but I'd never bitch about them to the host. I'd just bring him a setup of Desjgn CVs and try to convert him to good cards. ;)

Don't complain that the free pizza doesn't have the specific toppings you prefer. Don't bitch that the free soda isn't the flavor/brand you prefer. Don't bitch in general, a host has enough stress without dealing with more.

Don't be a dick to other players, don't jump up and shout WAHOOOOOO! when your Jacks suck out against someones Aces like it's the first time winning a hand.

Don't share your bad beats, nobody really cares or wants to hear them (unless you are paying them $5 per story)

As for the offering to help clean up thing, I guess that's host dependent. Myself, I prefer when the game is done for everyone to head out so my wife and I can clean up and relax, but other hosts may appreciate the offer to stick around.

Oh, and don't just leave trash/wrappers on the floor or drinks that still have liquid in them lying around.

Don't complain about someones pets, THEY live there, YOU don't (well, unless the pets are eating your face off, then I guess it's ok to complain a little)

solid thread.

I always try to text the following morning just to reiterate to the host that I had a good time, and thanks for hosting/inviting me out.

I agree with gg, thanks for the offer to help clean up. At 2/3 am I'd rather you guys leave if were not playing poker. I'll clean up the mess when I wake up (we play in the basement, most of the time my son has it cleaned up before I get down up). I in turn treat him out to breakfast and lots of coffee!!

solid thread.

I always try to text the following morning just to reiterate to the host that I had a good time, and thanks for hosting/inviting me out.

I agree with gg, thanks for the offer to help clean up. At 2/3 am I'd rather you guys leave if were not playing poker. I'll clean up the mess when I wake up (we play in the basement, most of the time my son has it cleaned up before I get down up). I in turn treat him out to breakfast and lots of coffee!!

(Gasp!)

You don't call the next day! You'll look desperate!

Ha - this is funny. I always text the morning after hosting OR attending to say thank you for coming over or for having me in your home :)

I don't text the regulars the morning after hosting. Hell, they usually just left. If it was someone knew then yeah, I'll do this also.

Thanks...I'll keep that in mind. I shouldn't expect much from them when I put out Makers Mark and Crown and they bitch because it's not Evan Williams.

Update.... I now get to play regularly. Thanks for all the good advice, but I did find a way to get invited back every game.

Offer to supply really nice Royal Yaks to play with instead of dice chips... Worked like a charm.

Nicely played sir!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom