How about theese edge spot progression? (1 Viewer)

nostan

Pair
Reaction score
nostan.jpg

Hi,

While my first custom ceramic set is under print-production...I'm thinking of what would be the next step in my chipper career. Well, for me, playing live-poker with cents in almost 17 years, I have actually never played with chips having edge-spots progressions. I think it's really nice and a custom set with edge-progression would be a challenge to create, and I nightmare to the designer, because I never seem to be completely satisfied :tdown:;) Even though the "art-work" above is adapted to Clay-chip, the next chipper-progression for me is still far away from CPC, more likely a better ceramic set, but I would appreciate some feedback about this future set (Tournament T25-T25k). Any dirty-stack issues etc :)

With those spot patterns the natural progression complexity wise to me would be blue, black, green, purple, orange, gray

black, blue, green, purple, orange, grey

As for your colors, you need to pick a "theme". do you want somber and hued, bright and vibrant, clown colors? Your purple is like a sore thumb in the rest, and your spot colors dont really follow a concept.

Last edited:
Why even try to have strict progression?

To me, maximum distinguishability between adjacent denominations (which will be on the table together) as well as the nicest designs on the denominations most commonly in play are far more important factors to me, because they increase the practicalness while ensuring the looks are also great. We're not composing music here... mathematical formulas are of little use in designing chips.

I didn't read the post. Just looked at the picture. I think that's a horrible spot progression. It's all over the place.

@nostan, I’m not crazy about the edgespots in this set. I strongly recommend that you take your time and try lots of designs, play with different spots, color combos, progressions, and so on. Look at other’s finished sets and ask lots of questions. Save a bunch of designs in the tool, then in a couple months, go back and look at your originals. I think some of my earliest mock-ups look terrible to me now. Your tastes will develop and change over time.

To me, a spot progression is simply an ascending ordering the of the impressiveness of the spot pattern -- according to the number of spots, the complexity of each spot, and the number of number of different spot styles. As a tie breaker, wider spots are viewed as being cruder than narrow spots.

So my assessment of your spot progression, from lowest denom to highest, would be:

Blue: 3 spots x 1 for complexity of spots x 1 for number of spot styles = 3
Black: 4 spots x 1 for complexity of spots x 1 for number of spot styles = 4
Grey: 6 spots x 1 for complexity of spots x 1 for number of spot styles = 6
Purple: 4 spots x 2 for complexity of spots x 1 for number of spot styles = 8
Green: 3 spots x 3 for complexity of spots x 1 for number of spot styles = 9
Orange: 8 spots x 1 for complexity of spots x 2 for number of spot styles = 16

I would be tempted to swap the grey and purple chips, but I haven't yet come up with a mathematical means of supporting that ordering. :cool

To me, a spot progression is simply an ascending ordering the of the impressiveness of the spot pattern -- according to the number of spots, the complexity of each spot, and the number of number of different spot styles. As a tie breaker, wider spots are viewed as being cruder than narrow spots.

So my assessment of your spot progression, from lowest denom to highest, would be:

I would be tempted to swap the grey and purple chips, but I haven't yet come up with a mathematical means of supporting that ordering. :cool

No need to be so mathematical. We're talking about *art* here.

But, at the same time, I don't entirely disagree with what you're saying here.

Grey chip is 6d18 not 614 and I think the orange chip actually has two different shades of yellow as spots as well

Thank you for all feedback. I'm totally lost regarding theese things.

@Beakertwang spot on. I will have to start study and play with the chip-tools :)

But I think I generally don't like chips with to many colors. And this is a problem when I try my designing "skills".

What is the downside (except the eventual aesthetic aspect) using the same design/edge spots for each chip?

Grey chip is 6d18 not 614 and I think the orange chip actually has two different shades of yellow as spots as well
Interesting! I made that post from my 15" Chromebook in the living room, and absolutely couldn't see either of those -- but here on the 27" monitor of my home office computer, they're obvious.

Sorry, folks! :cool

Trying to order a 312 and 418 for spot progression would drive me insane. I'd have to put the dainty 418's before the beefy 312's. But the truth is that I wouldn't do it at all. I guess I'd make the 312 a 412, and then I could live with it.
Spot progression isn't real, but we love to debate it. It's up to you.

These spots do not "progress". Spot progression should follow the definition of the term. Literally.

"Progression - the process of developing or moving gradually towards a more advanced state."

I’m in the camp that says you take a very traditional base colors, green, black, blurple, atomic yellow, etc. and go from there. If you want to get creative you do it on the inlay, as long as each number is very clearly visible. Every chip should have an inlay clearly marked with a denomination.

Beautiful! I like color progression and the blue/green seems very simple. It would be good for The smallest denomination?

getting my first custom set, would like to get feedback on my colors & spot progression. Thanks.
1623855918069.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom