Hotstamping MD50s: buy new CPC or old Spinettis blanks? (1 Viewer)

GenghisKhan

Full House
Reaction score
Since CPC cannot hotstamp MD50s, I'm wondering what would be the difference between buying brand new CPC chips vs old ASM chips sold by Spinettis for example.

Can a hotstamper chime in please?

I just read a thread where it seemed the success rate was the same. Making me question why I'd buy new at perhaps double the price.

Besides cgraham and monkeydog, does anyone closer to me still hotstamp?
As in Canada?

Im in NB right above Maine.

Thanks!

Don't remember where I heard (CPC?), but the older the chip, the more difficult to stamp properly.

For their (CPC's) equipment, yes. Third party stampers seem to have no issue stamping old-ish chips.

Thanks @links_slayer that's the impression I was under as well. That 3rd party can do it on old chips too. Just wondering the finer details such as does it stamp better on newer chips. How much of a difference. Is it so much of a difference it's worth paying double for chips.

I'm going to have 3 or 4 racks of HHR and MD50 to do eventually.

I can "wet stamp" for you... LMK.

full_Photo_on_2012-01-15_at_13.51.jpg

@cgraham86 told me that older and used asm chips are harder to stamp. He stamped some h mold chips for me years ago and definitely had more issues with the old ones. So I will disagree with the above.

I think a lot has to do with which mold/type of chip it is. @cgraham86 stamped 1800 A-molds for me a while back with a 100% rate (not typical probably). The blanks were bought over a period of 5-6 years from various people (mainly Michael D & Jim B). Mostly new originally but old in they had been sitting on the self or in storage for a good period of time.

He said that A-molds were a great mold for stamping. However he did caution me before he started the process that older chips can cause a higher error rate (luckily happened to not be the case in my instance).

greenset01-jpg.59266

Definitely send some samples to your hot stamper before hand to get an idea on how well they will stamp.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom