Hot Take: Small Blinds are Unnecessary in Cash Games (2 Viewers)

How do you feel about small blinds in cash games?

• Small blinds are canon to poker, and must remain.

Votes: 45 54.9%
  • F*^% Josh Kifer and f$%^ the small blind.

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • F%$# Josh Kifer only.

Votes: 22 26.8%

• Total voters

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
I've been stewing on this for a while - and now am ready to declare, small blinds in cash games are unnecessary. It slightly slows the game down with often making an additional denomination or additional chips necessary, and doesn't matter in a live cash game where VPIPing is going to be decently high. So I've gotten rid of them.

So I say down with the small blind, all hail the first blind and the second blind, my new overlord.

What say you?

1668572009398.png

I like SB, it added one more colour to the chipset and for me which I tend to play 50c/$1. I only allocated 4x50c per person so I never really needed more than 2 barrels.

I do added a BB Ante to my cash game so there more reason to play more hands

... making an additional denomination or additional chips necessary, ...

Are you insinuating that additional chips / denominations are not necessary? Here on The Poker Chip Forum?!

I mean, come on, I'm kinda surprised we don't mandate there is a small blind, big blind, a bigger blind, and the-blind-that-has-a-weight-problem-but-we-pretend-it's-not-a-big-deal at this point.

Are you insinuating that additional chips / denominations are not necessary? Here on The Poker Chip Forum?!

I mean, come on, I'm kinda surprised we don't mandate there is a small blind, big blind, a bigger blind, and the-blind-that-has-a-weight-problem-but-we-pretend-it's-not-a-big-deal at this point.
Next, you'll start arguing the pros of a .25/1/5/10/25 chipset :)

But yes, mandatory straddle I think a small blind still has a place.

can we make votes public, I need to know who my homies are

2 blinds, or small big doesn't really matter much in cash, they are only there to encourage people to enter the pot anyways.

Why not just bring back the ante, make poker great again, everyone puts in $1 then deal the cards.

can we make votes public, I need to know who my homies are

2 blinds, or small big doesn't really matter much in cash, they are only there to encourage people to enter the pot anyways.

Why not just bring back the ante, make poker great again, everyone puts in $1 then deal the cards.
A bomb pot where you bet before the flop? What are you, insane?

As much as I enjoy Josh Kifer's posts (especially ones with dog pictures and angry emojis), I really have no desire to f*^% him.

As far as the Small Blind issue, I can happily play .25/.50 , 25/.25 or .50/.50. Doesn't really rise to the level of a burning issue for me. Although from your title I thought that you were lobbying to eliminate the first blind altogether and only have a single (Big) Blind. That would just seem weird...

We often forego the blinds and mandate straddle on the button, 5 to 15, dealer's discretion. As I don't assume there is only one game people are playing, I'll be explicit, this is typically omaha.

It wouldn't work for holdem too many nits, they'd lose 1.50 - 2 an orbit!

I think this might be closer to the truth. Bart Hanson went on a brief tangent recently, saying the no limit games were always meant to be played with antes. I think he meant in addition to blinds. And I’m not sure if that was more to encourage the first person into the pot or the second. But it’s a concept I’d like to hear more about.

Although from your title I thought that you were lobbying to eliminate the first blind altogether and only have a single (Big) Blind. That would just seem weird...
I thought the same thing initially, and began girding my loins for battle. Then I realized he still want to 2 blinds. 2 blinds is okay. 3 blinds is preferable. 1 blind is terrible.

Mostly a tourney player, not cash, thus moar chips is my mantra preference overall. Moar chips can't be a bad thing, within reason.

But yeah, f%$# Josh Kifer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom