Hot Stamp Experiment (1 Viewer)

AK Chip

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
So I had this idea to counter the concaved shape of the scrown face. The outer edge of the die touches the chip first so to get the center of the die to touch the chip the edges stamp to deep for consistent stamps. My idea is to stamp the same side of the chip twice, I have no idea if this will work or not. It will take a lot of patience to get the chips to line up right but I think I can do it with a little set up time.

I'm going to try doing this on the A-Mold for my personal set but if the chip will stand up to the double stamping it could be a solution to stamping the Scrown and lcrown chips.

For the A-mold denom side I will just use one die and stamp it once. For the swoop side I will use the two dies to make the stamp(seen below on the green scrown)
I will use silver foil for the text but will use the holographic foil to create the aurora on the chip. I hope this will work!!

Thanks @Johnny5 !!!

7F56B29B-631D-4423-AD08-9724F11C2A4F.jpeg

untitled.png

holographic-paper-500x500[1].jpg

If you’re willing to go to so much effort, why not just have a slight radius put on the face of the hotstamp die, matching the curvature of the scrown chips?

I thought I had read somewhere on here that it wasn't an option. But maybe if they could make the center design ridges a bit taller than the rest? Anyhow for $25 and my time I'm going to give it a try.

It also will allow me to use two different colors of foil on the same side of the chip.

maybe, maybe not. If they are at full production capacity spending the human and time capital isn’t a solid option
It will be time consuming to get it close on every chip.

If you’re willing to go to so much effort, why not just have a slight radius put on the face of the hotstamp die, matching the curvature of the scrown chips?
The machine has two guides 90 degrees from each other to get the chip centered for the stamp. If I make a mark on one of those guides and say place the top part of the crown on that mark every time it should be close.

i have a couple different styles I’ll check for that.

Holo foil looks great if there is a large surface of it, so that you can see the colour changing effect.
I am hoping to use the oil slick foil on my next set though. It has the appearance of a colour change, but is seen from the same angle.

The machine has two guides 90 degrees from each other to get the chip centered for the stamp. If I make a mark on one of those guides and say place the top part of the crown on that mark every time it should be close.
How about a thin strip of tape down the side of the barrel, then just separate with an xacto knife. Line the tape up with a mark on the guides or somewhere else on the machine and that should give you a pretty repeatable "jig" without having to eyeball the crowns.

https://www.amazon.ca/TapeCase-2364...ords=thin+masking+tape&qid=1579877469&sr=8-12

Holo foil looks great if there is a large surface of it, so that you can see the colour changing effect.
I am hoping to use the oil slick foil on my next set though. It has the appearance of a colour change, but is seen from the same angle.

You were correct the swoop it’s to small to see the holographic effect.

So almost all fails.
New dies a touch to big for my holder.
Dropped on die and damaged the face.
Not enough A-mold blanks to get the numbers dialed in
As mentioned above the swoop is to small for the holo foil.

All that said stamping twice with different colored foil is going to work

Just half ass trying by eye I was close to getting proper alignment on the chip. With markers and better lighting I will be able to get it correct.

FDE22A45-BED3-4FDC-9706-664C6C7DA39E.jpeg
16AC37DB-34F3-4CB2-BBF5-0CC23CD50706.jpeg
391430FF-240A-4DB2-A436-9AF98D763D23.jpeg
5D334736-C715-452C-8519-4FD50B2EED7A.jpeg
8B6E800D-1BF5-4297-B39A-6CC7F1DCC576.jpeg
96522074-CEFF-47CA-BB73-DAEDA9851B9D.jpeg

You were correct the swoop it’s to small to see the holographic effect.
Yeah, it still looks cool, especially when handling, because then you can play with the chip and see the colour changing happening, but in a static environment, it just usually ends up looking silver (or gold, if it is gold holo foil) The oil slick foil (or rainbow foil?) already has a colour change look to it, but doesn't actually shift colours. It is just printed to look like that, so what you see is what you get. While not as dynamic when handling, it looks much better when it's just sitting there. If you can find some of it somewhere, let me know, because I will be needing a bunch for my next stamping project please!

Also, I'm really happy to hear that the two stamp process is working for you! Back when I did my own stamps, I had started work on a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle hotstamp set, where the turtles heads were all green, but the bandanas were to be a separate stamp, and would get their appropriate colours. Never did finalize the set, but still sometimes think about revisiting it.

Mike

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom