Hot stamp design? (1 Viewer)

p5woody

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I recently was asked about doing a design for a hot stamp. I have never done a hot stamp before any advice out there for doing this type of design?

I will be designing a hotstamp for 25 cents and 1 dollar chips. Initial thought was George Washington outline and the Statue of Liberty. Out of these Liberty images, would any of these look good as a hot stamp?

hotstamp.jpg

I like the middle one best too but can a hot stamp be that intricate? What are the most intricate hot stamps that have actually been made successfully?

That's an excellent example; the bridge looks fabulous. On the other hand, if you at the denomination, the area by the "2" between the body and the tail has silver, and the area inside the top of the five between the top line and the top of the belly seems to contain silver.

The hot pressing raises ridges in the chip material, and I can't predict, from chip to chip, whether the raised ridge will by base-colored clay, or gilded with the silver or gold. My Paulson Fun-Nite set may not have been the most carefully manufactured set, but I see the same irregularity in every hot-stamped set I've seen. The plainer the art, the less you notice these minor imperfection - you may not notice them at all, without looking for them - but I think art with a lot of detail inevitably leads to more such instances. I'll try to take pics of what I mean.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

Two pictures, same set, the best/worst of the first four chips I picked up:
20150208_194133.jpg

This is both chips on the same flat surface in the same light; picture was reduced in size for the post. The bottom two inset squares are original size, to show detail.

The chip on the right looks better in person, because you don't notice the (green) ridges around the hot stamps. It really looks perfect; the ugly ridges only show on this oversize photo. The one on the left looks even worse in person, like it's smeared. But you can see how the gold foil runs up to the top of the ridges, as well as spreading outside the leading F and the leading N.

Last edited:
Who will be doing the HS Woody?
Not sure at this point it is just in the initial design phase. I am not sure who the hot stamper will be at this point, all I have is an email asking if I could design a hotstamp. Once I have an initial design, I will reach out to a hot stamper to get their input.

Thanks for all the input so far, this is really helping.

The actual chips being stamped will have a lot to do with it, as well. Softer materials (Paulson, TRK, BCC to a lesser degree) will typically take a hot-stamp better than harder materials (CPC/ASM) or older chips (which typically get harder/dryer as they age).

The actual chips being stamped will have a lot to do with it, as well. Softer materials (Paulson, TRK, BCC to a lesser degree) will typically take a hot-stamp better than harder materials (CPC/ASM) or older chips (which typically get harder/dryer as they age).

Would you recommend CPC blanks for hot stamps then? I'm trying to fall in love with hot stamps but I'm playing hard to get.

Would you recommend CPC blanks for hot stamps then? I'm trying to fall in love with hot stamps but I'm playing hard to get.

I have seen many hot-stamped sets by ASM (CPC predecessor) that are excellent - some stamped by ASM, most stamped by aftermarket stampers. CPC is also the only game in town for clay blanks, unless you happen to have TRK or BCC blanks laying around (both are in short supply, and no longer made). Paulson blanks don't legally exist.

Assuming these would be new CPC chips, any idea if these would look good as stamps? I am most concerned about James Monroe on the $1 chip. Also anybody here at PCF doing hotstamps, I would like to get their feedback.

poker club.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom