Hot Stamp Design Limitations? (1 Viewer)

andrebttx

Two Pair
Reaction score
I've been brainstorming with some friends about getting a hot stamped set inspired by our state seal through CPC. I'm familiar with the limitations set by different molds, but I'm wondering more about the design of the die itself. Is there a recommended minimum thickness for any given line or feature? Are there examples of hot stamps that went poorly because the artwork was too finely detailed? I've browsed a ton of hot stamp posts, but unsurprisingly, the ones people are usually posting here are the ones that look great. So any guidance about what to avoid when making a hot stamped set would be greatly appreciated.

^^ both members have an excellent knowledge about hotstamping ^^

This was borderline in detail:

IMG_20200719_195844.jpg

Started with this
Midnight%20Jazz%20Club%20T1000.png

If you send me a draft of your design I can maybe help point out any problems.
texas state seal.png

Here's the starting point of the seal. The things that we identified as obvious from off the bat were simplifying the borders to a single line, making the star solid, and removing the detail from the branches, leaving them as either solid or just outlined.

View attachment 869594

Here's the starting point of the seal. The things that we identified as obvious from off the bat were simplifying the borders to a single line, making the star solid, and removing the detail from the branches, leaving them as either solid or just outlined.
That bow might become a slight issue, it just may not show up as clearly as what it is without the color, especially when it’s smaller. Sounds good on simplifying the leaves for sure and the solid star
It is busy across the whole face, not normally a problem but on scrowns it may be. With some chips the outer edge of the stamping area can be slightly thicker than the middle and cause uneven stamping unless you burn it deep in the high spots just to make sure you get to the lower spot. An “edge centric” design can sometimes stamp better or a “center centric” design as well, but when combined on certain chips it can an issue to deal with. But most chips are not like this, it’s just something to consider as you plan a busy design.
Thinner ridges can cool faster and cause uneven sticking of the foil if you stamp a bunch fast, but that’s part of the art.

I envision a design like a wheat penny with a Star in the middle. If you could space the “The State of Texas” like with “The State” on top and “of Texas” at the bottom it will also help balance out the heat across the stamp. As is those letters are going to make that side of the stamp a bit hotter and maybe make the letters messy by the time the tip of the bottom of the leaves hits the chip. It’s also going to “tip” your chip slightly as pressure is applied during stamping. That kind of stress can crack chips as well.

Sorry for the book.

That bow might become a slight issue, it just may not show up as clearly as what it is without the color, especially when it’s smaller. Sounds good on simplifying the leaves for sure and the solid star
It is busy across the whole face, not normally a problem but on scrowns it may be. With some chips the outer edge of the stamping area can be slightly thicker than the middle and cause uneven stamping unless you burn it deep in the high spots just to make sure you get to the lower spot. An “edge centric” design can sometimes stamp better or a “center centric” design as well, but when combined on certain chips it can an issue to deal with. But most chips are not like this, it’s just something to consider as you plan a busy design.
Thinner ridges can cool faster and cause uneven sticking of the foil if you stamp a bunch fast, but that’s part of the art.

I envision a design like a wheat penny with a Star in the middle. If you could space the “The State of Texas” like with “The State” on top and “of Texas” at the bottom it will also help balance out the heat across the stamp. As is those letters are going to make that side of the stamp a bit hotter and maybe make the letters messy by the time the tip of the bottom of the leaves hits the chip. It’s also going to “tip” your chip slightly as pressure is applied during stamping. That kind of stress can crack chips as well.

Sorry for the book.
No need to apologize, this is the exact kind of insight I was looking for! Thank you very much, this is incredibly helpful and gives me a lot to work with. Really, really appreciate it.

Good to know, thanks for the example. That level of detail and fidelity is good enough for me. Who did you work with on those?
I worked with Fabian (aka Meatboy) the only hotstamper that Europe had (but he was awsome)...he left the scene a long time ago and sold his gear.
My set was the last he stamped.

@ekricket and @SuckoutKing were also true jedi hotstampers in their day, so if you need help with design..they are your best bet.
@cgraham86 was another oldtimer and great stamper but don't think his very active anymore.
@AK Chip also retired from stamping but @Josh Kifer will be offering HS service any time now (or soon)

Last edited:
I worked with Fabian (aka Meatboy) the only hotstamper that Europe had...but he left the scene a long time ago and sold his gear.

But @ekricket and @SuckoutKing were also true jedi hotstampers in their day, so if you need help with design..they are your best bet.
@cgraham86 was another oldtimer and great stamper but don't think his very active anymore.
@AK Chip also retired from stamping but @Josh Kifer will be offering HS service any time now (or soon)
Soon!

I recommend using a private stamper on a mold that CPC will stamp. These chips will be more forgiving with a die with a lot of detail, if that makes sense.

I worked with Fabian (aka Meatboy) the only hotstamper that Europe had (but he was awsome)...he left the scene a long time ago and sold his gear.

@ekricket and @SuckoutKing were also true jedi hotstampers in their day, so if you need help with design..they are your best bet.

I sold my Kinsley hotstamp setup to cgraham86!

i think hot stamps are executed best when they are kept very simple and limited to text-only.

i'm in the process of cleaning some of mine right now

6D3049F4-995A-416E-B070-3C110D0AB47E.jpg

I recommend using a private stamper on a mold that CPC will stamp. These chips will be more forgiving with a die with a lot of detail, if that makes sense.

I was already operating under the assumption that the CPC-stampable molds were the ones available to work with. But how would that process work - I order blanks from CPC, then find a 3rd party to work with once I've got those acquired, and ship it their way for stamping?

Some of those (above) hot stamps are fuckin hot shit. But of course CPC would make a chip that can't get to that detail...so the question remains of what are the best details and some average, for expectations sake, that is done on CPC? C'mon people let's keep this going ;)

Some of those (above) hot stamps are fuckin hot shit. But of course CPC would make a chip that can't get to that detail...so the question remains of what are the best details and some average, for expectations sake, that is done on CPC? C'mon people let's keep this going ;)
CPC isn’t the only option, though… So why not keep showing great HS designs that push the limits of badassery?!?! :)

My hotstamp CPC set should go in PRD in the next couple of months (around May or June).

the_bank_tournament_cpc_mockup-png.867251

We'll see how it will turn out.
J5 fine-tuned the stamp and David Spragg did not see any issue with it, so i'm confident it'll turn into something nice.

CPC isn’t the only option, though… So why not keep showing great HS designs that push the limits of badassery?!?! :)
Absolutely, didnt mean to imply not to show great stuff, but I'd like to see the differences, like if you know CPC can't get the detail of that "poker room" Stamp how do you know, as I dont know. id like to see the differences from different chips, but obviously have my biased interest in the CPC as Ive put in an order.

My CPC jockeys turned out good, stamps aren’t perfect but I like the character. Id also caution against DG Saturn base, almost every chip has these lines that look like cracks but are smooth. Haven’t had any break though. Not sure what that is

04DA29B3-A2CC-40C4-8554-71ABC43D8047.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom