Tourney Hosting my first large organized tournament (2 Viewers)

TX_Golf_N_Poker

Straight Flush
Tourney Director
Supporter
Reaction score
I was asking some questions in another thread, but thought I should just start my own. I have a large family and we are all meeting for Christmas this year. I'm in charge of putting together a poker night. Now that I have enough chips and equipment, I want to host a tournament. I think we will have over 20 interested players, so looks like it's going to be a three table event!!! I'm both excited and scared. (not that scared...) I've never run more than a STT.

Question #1 - Is having both Re-buys and Bounties in the same tourney a bad idea? If so why? If you have done it, any advice? I have 45 matching Bounty chips, so that shouldn't be an issue.

We'll get the tournament structure nailed down first, then I may have another question or two.

My advice have only done multi table tourneys a couple of times is that if you're playing, you want to keep things as simple as possible. I'd have rebuy stacks pre built, would avoid bounties as it's just one more thing to deal with, make sure you have your process identified for dealers at tables, break timing, any other hosting duties (food, drinks, etc.) Simplify/prepare as much as you can.

You likely shouldn't play. Hosting a large event makes playing difficult and not so fun / fair to the people at your table. All sorts of things happen that require you to play host or floor. I found it a disappointing surprise just how busy I was.

Bounties make for extra bragging rights. I think they are fun. How that works with clueless players - - - that I can't say.

I would avoid rebuys. The host has enough work. And truth be told, you'll have more than a few players ready to get on with the holiday. A fast structure without rebuys might fit the holiday better. While some of us think a six hours poker tournament seems like FUN! There are others who share a more casual affinity for the game.

What ever you do, remember the goal is for everyone to have fun. Figure out what that is for your family and do it < and be sure to have a good time yourself> -=- DrStrange

Yeah, y'all are probably right. I'll skip the bounties for this one. Definitely not skipping playing though. I'll draft a couple other experienced players to assist as co-hosts if there's a need for help. But once the money is collected and the app that tracks the blinds kicks off, what duties are there? Coloring up happens at a break. I'll have chips for rebuys at hand so that shouldn't be a big bother.

Only other thing I'm not too sure about is how to keep the tables fairly even as people start to bust out? How do I decide who moves, and where to seat them at their new table?

Tda rules when I was working tournaments was to pull a player from the worst spot at the table, closest or next player to the big blind. And then say them at the worst spot at the short table. Like utg or even come into the big blind.

And you'd be surprised much bs you will have to deal with. Haha. One thing that always makes it hard when you're playing and running a game is having to make a decision, pretty much about anything. I'd try appoint one table captain per table to handle rebuys/ chips/ minor decisions. So you're not running around every other hand.

Yeah, y'all are probably right. I'll skip the bounties for this one. Definitely not skipping playing though. I'll draft a couple other experienced players to assist as co-hosts if there's a need for help. But once the money is collected and the app that tracks the blinds kicks off, what duties are there? Coloring up happens at a break. I'll have chips for rebuys at hand so that shouldn't be a big bother.

Only other thing I'm not too sure about is how to keep the tables fairly even as people start to bust out? How do I decide who moves, and where to seat them at their new table?
If you are using something like Tournament Director then you wouldn't even necessarily need an experienced player as co-hosts. You can show someone how to bust a player out and do a rebuy if they are interested. And it will handle moving players if you want it to.

I do agree that you shouldn't have to skip playing. If it is all family and everyone is having fun you can normally handle things without too much disruption. You might get dealt out/auto muck one hand while handling an issue. But not too bad.

Now having other experienced players as table captains (permanent dealers, if willing) would help, because they can settle any disputes at their table and only involve you if a ruling is needed.

Good luck and sounds like fun. reminds me of our family gatherings growing up. Although we never worried about chips, we just poured a change jar out in front of us and used that. And we played ring games, or as we called it Dealer's Choice....

Keep it simple for a casual event. You are not running the wsop, keep that in mind. In these situations I just grab the first person behind the button in the table that needs to lose a player. That way they can’t bitch about “I just paid the blind” etc….
When they ask “this hand or the next” just decide one way or the other and be consistent. In the big scheme of the tournament it really doesn’t matter much, so what keeps it simple and less concerning to my casual players is my route.
If you’ve got rules nazis just put them in charge of that and let them deal with the fallout.

If you play, and I always did, do not expect to do well. There are a lot of things you will be interrupted about, especially with a large group of inexperienced players, that will disrupt your concentration. As has been said before, do as much prep as possible to lessen your load. Give larger starting stacks instead of rebuys, and if you do bounties don’t worry if someone messes up. Just remember it will be all about fun, for everyone including you.

You really have to get a friend or two to be TD’s
That way you can just say the opening words, and start the clock.
- structure for 4 hour tour (the tour ends in the lvl where blinds+antes make 10% of total chips in play)
-maybe have reentry instead of rebuy (but lots of people mean reentry, when they say rebuy)
-bounties are easy to have in the game, if you guys like them, but make sure to have a “speach” before game starts, to claryfy buyin, bounty, etc.
-when you have to move players to balance the tables, move the NEXT big blind

You Will be surpriced how many rulings you have to make, så make sure your friends are good at the rules, and rule correct.
So your family can play a nice and cozy game

Jobs during game:
-balancing tables
-ruling
-chip up
-collapsing tables
-dealer mistakes (are they dealing themselves? - if yes, expect lots of rulings)
-calculating prices
-how to make a boubbleprice
-deals
-breaks (pause the clock when break starts, and start again when all tables are done with current hand, so everyone gets a proper break)

Have fun

Tournament Director is a must for multi table tournaments. Let the computer handle seating, moving people, round timer, all of it.

My advice have only done multi table tourneys a couple of times is that if you're playing, you want to keep things as simple as possible. I'd have rebuy stacks pre built, would avoid bounties as it's just one more thing to deal with, make sure you have your process identified for dealers at tables, break timing, any other hosting duties (food, drinks, etc.) Simplify/prepare as much as you can.
I use high denom chips for all re-buys. Instead of a standard 10k stack, they get 2, 5k's. Maybe 10, 1k's. Saves so much trouble cutting the chips and coloring up later. There's always change on the table from the bust-out's stack going to another player.

+1 on keep it simple. I wouldn't do bounties or add-ons. Re-buys will keep you hopping.

I was asking some questions in another thread, but thought I should just start my own. I have a large family and we are all meeting for Christmas this year. I'm in charge of putting together a poker night. Now that I have enough chips and equipment, I want to host a tournament. I think we will have over 20 interested players, so looks like it's going to be a three table event!!! I'm both excited and scared. (not that scared...) I've never run more than a STT.

Question #1 - Is having both Re-buys and Bounties in the same tourney a bad idea? If so why? If you have done it, any advice? I have 45 matching Bounty chips, so that shouldn't be an issue.

We'll get the tournament structure nailed down first, then I may have another question or two.
3 tables should be very manageable. I'd recommend dedicated dealers at each table. It keeps the game moving and minimizes dealer errors (hopefully). Those could be your co-hosts. Put yourself dealing at table 1.

Coloring up: Something I've found helpful is during the blind level BEFORE the color up, have your dealers start buying up some of the low denoms. Give each dealer a tray with three barrels of 100's and have them take 25's out of the pot during that level.

Jobs during game:
-balancing tables
-ruling
-chip up
-collapsing tables
-dealer mistakes (are they dealing themselves? - if yes, expect lots of rulings)
-calculating prices
-how to make a boubbleprice
-deals
-breaks (pause the clock when break starts, and start again when all tables are done with current hand, so everyone gets a proper break)
Lol, here’s a few more
  • Deciding if you blind latecomers in or give them a full stack when they arrive
  • Making change, because even though it’s a $20 buyin event four guys only brought $100’s
  • Asking people to move their car because the only place they could park without walking half a block is in front of your neighbors driveway
  • Getting cards for all the tables
  • Explaining why you have fancy plastic cards instead of paper like normal people
  • Getting cut cards
  • Explaining what cut cards are for
  • Helping people because they don’t understand how cut cards work
  • Getting paper cards for one table because they can’t deal without throwing the plastic cards off the table
  • Reminding people about cut cards because they quit using them because they think using them is dumb
  • The ice is out
  • Getting dealer buttons
  • Cleaning up a spilled beer
  • Getting a new chair for someone for one of about five reasons
  • Reminding people who the dealer is because the dealer button is in somebodies stack and hasn’t moved for three deals
  • Turning on the ceiling fans because it’s hot
  • Explaining why dealer buttons are needed, even though the dealer is the guy with the deck in his hand
  • Getting someone a small space heater because they are cold at the table
  • Making sure the decks aren’t fouled and all the cards are there
  • The ice is out
  • Getting a new deck because inevitably one card gets a crease or has a problem
  • Making sure the new deck isn’t fouled or missing cards
  • These plastic cards are slippery
  • Explaining why people have to post blinds
  • Clean up a spilled beer or wine glass
  • Explaining that yes, you have to pay a blind bet every time you are one or two places to the left of the dealer
  • Explaining why the blinds are going up and yes, they will continue to do so throughout the tournament and at larger increments
  • Do you have a lighter?
  • Turning off the ceiling fan because the wind keeps blowing the cards over while they are being dealt
  • Explaining that no, you can’t take your call back because somebody behind you raised without telling you
  • The ice is out
  • The toilet paper is out
  • Herding the group back to the tables after any break for any amount of time
  • Cleaning up another spill and replacing the wet deck and wet chips (see the bullet points about a new deck)
  • Arranging to have people move their cars because the first guy that parked is also the first guy that wants to leave
  • Making change because at the end you only have $100’s in the bank and they need their winnings down to the last quarter
  • The toilet paper is out again and there’s water on the floor in the bathroom

I’ve probably forgotten a few, but that’s the stuff that wears you out, not the starting stack size or the blind level timing.

Lol, here’s a few more
  • Deciding if you blind latecomers in or give them a full stack when they arrive
  • Making change, because even though it’s a $20 buyin event four guys only brought $100’s
  • Asking people to move their car because the only place they could park without walking half a block is in front of your neighbors driveway
  • Explaining why you have fancy plastic cards instead of paper like normal people
  • Getting cut cards
  • Getting paper cards for one table because they can’t deal without throwing the plastic cards off the table
  • Reminding people about cut cards because they quit using them because they think using them is dumb
  • The ice is out
  • Getting dealer buttons
  • Reminding people who the dealer is because the dealer button is in somebodies stack and hasn’t moved for three deals
  • Explaining why dealer buttons are needed, even though the dealer is the guy with the deck in his hand
  • The ice is out
  • Explaining that yes, you have to pay a blind bet every time you are one or two places to the left of the dealer
  • Explaining why the blinds are going up and yes, they will continue to do so throughout the tournament and at larger increments
  • Do you have a lighter?
  • Turning off the ceiling fan because the wind keeps blowing the cards over while they are being dealt
  • Explaining that no, you can’t take your call back because somebody behind you raised without telling you
  • The ice is out
  • Cleaning up another spill and replacing the wet deck and wet chips (see the bullet points about a new deck)
  • Arranging to have people move their cars because the first guy that parked is also the first guy that wants to leave
  • Making change because at the end you only have $100’s in the bank and they need their winnings down to the last quarter

I’ve probably forgotten a few, but that’s the stuff that wears you out, not the starting stack size or the blind level timing.
Exactly! Well put sir!!!

I'll respectfully disagree on the bounties decision. We play multi table just about every two weeks and always offer optional bounties. It's fun and isn't too much extra work. If you want it, you pay the additional bounty fee. If you don't, no worries.

If you bought a bounty and bust someone with a bounty, yay, you get the bounty. If someone without a bounty busts you (and you bought a bounty), yay, you get to keep your bounty. If you have a bounty and bust someone without, boo, you don't get anything for that (except for their stack, heh heh). Ask the same question when people buy in and rebuy: do you want a bounty chip, too? Easy enough.

Just make sure to keep track of buy-ins, rebuys, and bounties as you go. I usually write down all players' names on a sheet of paper and make a column for each buy type: buy in, rebuy, bounty, and add-on if you're doing that. Just put a tally under each column by the applicable player, and you can quickly tally up what your total bank should be and verify it versus the cash you have in hand.

I will agree that if you are the only experienced player, you may want to simplify to the greatest degree possible. If literally no one else knows how to run the table/tournament, you'll probably have your hands full. I also agree that it may make sense to "hire" one of your players to act as Treasurer and exchange cash for chips/write it down, someone else to handle coloring up (perhaps players who may have busted by that point), and a clock master to pause/resume as needed, if you plan to do that.

Have fun!

I'll respectfully disagree on the bounties decision. We play multi table just about every two weeks and always offer optional bounties. It's fun and isn't too much extra work. If you want it, you pay the additional bounty fee. If you don't, no worries.

If you bought a bounty and bust someone with a bounty, yay, you get the bounty. If someone without a bounty busts you (and you bought a bounty), yay, you get to keep your bounty. If you have a bounty and bust someone without, boo, you don't get anything for that (except for their stack, heh heh). Ask the same question when people buy in and rebuy: do you want a bounty chip, too? Easy enough.

Just make sure to keep track of buy-ins, rebuys, and bounties as you go. I usually write down all players' names on a sheet of paper and make a column for each buy type: buy in, rebuy, bounty, and add-on if you're doing that. Just put a tally under each column by the applicable player, and you can quickly tally up what your total bank should be and verify it versus the cash you have in hand.

I will agree that if you are the only experienced player, you may want to simplify to the greatest degree possible. If literally no one else knows how to run the table/tournament, you'll probably have your hands full. I also agree that it may make sense to "hire" one of your players to act as Treasurer and exchange cash for chips/write it down, someone else to handle coloring up (perhaps players who may have busted by that point), and a clock master to pause/resume as needed, if you plan to do that.

Have fun!
You could also take $xx out of each initial buy in. Saves you having to recall who was in the bounty and who wasn't. Bounty isn't collected until the player is truly knocked out (after all rebuys and entries).

Lol, here’s a few more
  • Getting cut cards
  • The ice is out
  • Getting dealer buttons
  • The ice is out
  • Do you have a lighter?
  • The ice is out

Great stuff! Lots of humor. Thankfully many of these won't apply because we're not playing at my home. We're playing at the hotel where we are all staying. Got problems with ice, bathrooms, temperature, parking, etc.? Not my problem. Take it up with the hotel manager! LOL! Most of them have played with me before and already know all about plastic cards and dealer buttons. I will definitely be sure to have plenty of decks of cards.

Tournament Director is a must for multi table tournaments. Let the computer handle seating, moving people, round timer, all of it.
Hey all, I'm revisiting this as it's almost time for my tournament. Question on this software. I've always used Blinds are Up. It's a little awkward to use, but does OK keeping track of the time and the blinds. Regarding moving people around during a MTT, I don't understand how software can help me do that. How does it know who busted out and how many chips everyone has unless I do a bunch of data input during the tournament, which I would prefer to avoid.

How does it know who busted out
You tell it who is busted and who took them out. It is super easy and only takes a second or two. Also, if it is a bounty tournament the software will track bounty payouts as well.

how many chips everyone has unless I do a bunch of data input during the tournament
I never bothered that much.

The whole point of letting the computer handle this is so there are no complaints about who is where, since the computer handled everything.

You tell it who is busted and who took them out. It is super easy and only takes a second or two. Also, if it is a bounty tournament the software will track bounty payouts as well.

I never bothered that much.

The whole point of letting the computer handle this is so there are no complaints about who is where, since the computer handled everything.
So who moves has nothing to do with chip count? There's no attempt to keep things relatively even between tables?

So who moves has nothing to do with chip count? There's no attempt to keep things relatively even between tables?
You gotta tell it what stacks are if you want that. I never bothered and things have never been that far off. It does great at keeping the player count even. Also, if you are worried about keeping stacks even, then handle the moves yourself instead of using the automatic suggestions. It only takes three seconds to do a manual player move. Too easy.

You gotta tell it what stacks are if you want that. I never bothered and things have never been that far off. It does great at keeping the player count even. Also, if you are worried about keeping stacks even, then handle the moves yourself instead of using the automatic suggestions. It only takes three seconds to do a manual player move. Too easy.
I'm a total rookie - first MTT. So I'm going to keep it simple. I'll let the app decide. Plus I like the idea of no arguments. The computer picked you so deal with it!

Anyone remember the first time they used Tournament Director? Is there much learning curve? And can I run a tournament during the free trial period? Not excited about buying software to use once, then who knows when my next tournament might be.

You need to spend at least a few hours on “The Tournament director” before you feel comfortable
Go to the HomePage and read the forumthreads on tipica you need help with

I'm a total rookie - first MTT. So I'm going to keep it simple. I'll let the app decide. Plus I like the idea of no arguments. The computer picked you so deal with it!

Anyone remember the first time they used Tournament Director? Is there much learning curve? And can I run a tournament during the free trial period? Not excited about buying software to use once, then who knows when my next tournament might be.
I think free mode limits you to 9 players if you want to track players. Learning curve can be a bit steep but not overwhelming.

There is very little learning curve for the most basic of functions, and that will get you up and running on a tournament, and that will let you run a tournament because all the software is a available during the trial period - nothing is held back during the trial.

Now if you want more advanced items (events for example) then there is a bit of a learning curve. It didn't take me much to figure it all out once I bothered to try, but effort is required to learn everything. My recommendation is that you use the trial period to experiment with everything in the software, and if you like it then buy it. Your purchase is good for a life. If you don't run another tournament for three years, you can download it again then and your code will still be valid.

There is very little learning curve for the most basic of functions, and that will get you up and running on a tournament, and that will let you run a tournament because all the software is a available during the trial period - nothing is held back during the trial.

Now if you want more advanced items (events for example) then there is a bit of a learning curve. It didn't take me much to figure it all out once I bothered to try, but effort is required to learn everything. My recommendation is that you use the trial period to experiment with everything in the software, and if you like it then buy it. Your purchase is good for a life. If you don't run another tournament for three years, you can download it again then and your code will still be valid.
Thanks! Appreciate all the assistance. I will say if nothing is held back then the best test of whether or not I like and will use it again is running an actual tournament, My tournament is a week from today so well within the 30 day period.

I've already registered for the forums and started looking them over. Even saw a post from some goof named @CraigT78 ! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Only thing Id add to this thread is to be mindful of how long the tourney goes. Everyone will want to play, but most people probably aren’t looking to play a 4+ hour tournament.

In my experience, the two ways to solve this are:
1. Longer initial blind levels and faster ones later on. Maybe 15-20 minutes to start. 8-12 after the first color up.
2. More aggressive blind increases toward the end of the tournament. It’s fine to start with 100/200, 200/300, 200/400… etc, but once you get to 500/1000, just jump to 1000/1500 or even 1000/2000. Don’t drag it out with small percentile BB increases.

Only thing Id add to this thread is to be mindful of how long the tourney goes. Everyone will want to play, but most people probably aren’t looking to play a 4+ hour tournament.

In my experience, the two ways to solve this are:
1. Longer initial blind levels and faster ones later on. Maybe 15-20 minutes to start. 8-12 after the first color up.
2. More aggressive blind increases toward the end of the tournament. It’s fine to start with 100/200, 200/300, 200/400… etc, but once you get to 500/1000, just jump to 1000/1500 or even 1000/2000. Don’t drag it out with small percentile BB increases.
Thanks! Yeah I've already warned them how long it might run and that we need to start on time. My family are all card players and most play poker at least once in a while. We've had impromptu tournaments in past years, but as I've gotten into chipping in the last two years I wanted to do something more formal and planned out ahead of time this year. In past years we would start at 9PM and play until 1 or 2 in the morning. I'm trying to be more organized this year and start it much earlier.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom