Hosting -- does it make you want to own MORE chips, or FEWER? (1 Viewer)

I guess what I mean is that I love chips too, and between games, it's all about the chips. I love them, I want them all. More more more.
But when actually sitting at the table, hosting an event, it switches to enjoyment of the experience, loving the chips on the table, and I just get a weird feeling come over me, like "this is what it's all about...and you don't need 20 chip sets to achieve this".

Then the next day comes, friends have gone home, and it's back to all being about the chips. :)
Right... note to self, make an offer on Mel's Paulson's midway through the game...

Rationally, having playable sets of chips is meant for hosting. There's just no other use.
If it's just about collecting, one chip of each kind would suffice.

But, as with other beautiful / voluptuous / prestigious objects, chips can be a vehicle for fantasy, as anybody with more than 2 playable sets knows:D; hence:
and I just get a weird feeling come over me, like "this is what it's all about...and you don't need 20 chip sets to achieve this".
Then the next day comes, friends have gone home, and it's back to all being about the chips. :)
No reality, including the most fortunate moments of our lives, can rival fantasy for contentment.:) We should just bear in mind that fantasy is just not real (and in some cases shouldn't even be close to real), in order to keep in harmony with the rest of people and avoid slippery paths.

I would disagree with this statement. There is no way that true appreciation of an edge spot/color combination can be realized without having more than one chip -- a barrel (or better yet, a full rack) is necessary.
Ok, I agree at a barrel :)

Hosting games has made me realize how crappy my chips were.

Buying a legit proper poker table by Chanman made me realize how crappy my chips were.

Sold the chips. Yesterday. Literally.

Now on the hunt for Paulson's. Dreaming. Hoping.

Also hunting for CPC Rounders....can almost afford my own order direct. A dream within reach given enough patience and time.

I can presently afford a full set of Dunes or Pharoah's from Apach but I don't want to regret my purchase.

I got a second Chanman poker table on the way. Couple months away I figure. Need a legit set of chips to throw around on the new custom suede and raised rail

Hosting games has made me realize how crappy my chips were.

Buying a legit proper poker table by Chanman made me realize how crappy my chips were.

Sold the chips. Yesterday. Literally.

Now on the hunt for Paulson's. Dreaming. Hoping.

Also hunting for CPC Rounders....can almost afford my own order direct. A dream within reach given enough patience and time.

I can presently afford a full set of Dunes or Pharoah's from Apach but I don't want to regret my purchase.

I got a second Chanman poker table on the way. Couple months away I figure. Need a legit set of chips to throw around on the new custom suede and raised rail
Make sure you have -and keep- the people for those tables. People you like and love to play with. It's a fine art and a never-ending process, requiring systematic work, diplomacy and luck.
Money can buy the rest.
CPCs, especially off-the-shelf (non custom) are huge value for money and a lot more stress-free and less time and soul consuming, as an option.

I like being able to rotate sets. All of my sets banks are set for meet ups and way bigger than I’ll probably ever need. Think I really only need a Bud Jones tournament set, TRK and BCC set. Last two will probably never be obtained and not too concerned.

Although we rotate hosting, I always bring the chips since I’m the addict. The guys joke that they never seem to play with the same chips twice. Who am I to disappoint?

I guess what I mean is that I love chips too, and between games, it's all about the chips. I love them, I want them all. More more more.
But when actually sitting at the table, hosting an event, it switches to enjoyment of the experience, loving the chips on the table, and I just get a weird feeling come over me, like "this is what it's all about...and you don't need 20 chip sets to achieve this".

I actually know exactly what you mean here. In fact, I had this same experience getting my BTP chips into play just last week. Don't get me wrong, I was super stoked to have the privilege of playing with such an amazing set, but at the end of the day, it was the great time spent with friends that made the evening so enjoyable. I feel this applies to so many things in life and not just in chipping... it can be so easy to get caught up in always buying the next new shiny thing, while forgetting about the things that truly bring us joy.

Don't get me wrong, I love all my chips (and shiny things in other areas of my life), but I think you bring up a great point here.

The best nights I can remember growing up playing were without money and old crappy red, white and blue plastics, time with family. Seems only a dream to get back to that simplicity, I also understand what you mean... Now there are 15,000 plus chips here hoping to find that childhood dream... It's not coming back... Just buy more chips and shut up I say to myself! Haha

The best nights I can remember growing up playing were without money and old crappy red, white and blue plastics, time with family. Seems only a dream to get back to that simplicity, I also understand what you mean... Now there are 15,000 plus chips here hoping to find that childhood dream... It's not coming back... Just buy more chips and shut up I say to myself! Haha
Nice first post. Welcome!

I haven't hosted a game outside of PnBBC in the last 18 months. Prior to that I was hosting 1-2x games a week for years. I found myself accumulating while hosting and selling during this hosting drought. The exceptions to the sell rule have been my Bellagio set, which is more of a labor of love than anything and its taken years to get to this point anyways. The other was the recent acquisition of Horseshoe Tunica chips. However, I can exchange those for $ any week I needed so really its a temporary bankroll placeholder rather than a purchase until I decide what I want to do.

From the survey results of our recent giveaway, one of the questions had to do with hosting games, which over 90% of the respondents replied that they regularly host games. So I think it's safe to assume that chipping and hosting go hand in hand.

The accumulation of chips as far as I am concerned is about providing the best possible experience for my guests. I bought some $3 chips after a few nights of playing a bunch of FL split pot games with $1s and $5s because it was taking too long between deals. The $3 chips sped the game up quite a bit.

For me personally, while I enjoy collecting things, I don't like owning things I won't use. So the idea of owning several sets that serve the same identical purpose doesn't appeal to me.

When you host a game, does it impact how you feel about your chip collection, in that it makes you want to own more or fewer chips than you do?

Every single time I host...it makes me want to sell most of my chips. That's weird, right?

I’m sorry you feel that way. I can’t say I understand it though.

I host 90%+ of our games and each of my meager four sets has been used at least once... with my cpc dragons getting the lionshare of table time. Each time I host it makes me want to expand and diversify my collection.

If, however, you DO sell some of your chips please think of me first if you have any AS tourney hotstamps. :D

Hosting has awoken my curiosity for poker chips.

I find myself addicted to Hobbyphilic videos on YouTube and while I can't afford literally most of the stuff around that's nice, I still love to learn about them.

I never had a care in the world about my trademark dice chips until I started hosting regularly.

Hosting has changed my ENTIRE perspective on chips and how they can effect and affect the game. Both tourney and cash.

But I'm saving money...calculating my options and my next chip purchase will be well thought out. Im sure this is the beginning of a major addiction perhaps even a problem for me, but there are far worst things to be addicted to....

From the survey results of our recent giveaway, one of the questions had to do with hosting games, which over 90% of the respondents replied that they regularly host games. So I think it's safe to assume that chipping and hosting go hand in hand.

Just for us statistic hounds, did you post the survey results anywhere?

I find myself addicted to Hobbyphilic videos on YouTube and while I can't afford literally most of the stuff around that's nice, I still love to learn about them.

I never had a care in the world about my trademark dice chips until I started hosting regularly.

Hosting has changed my ENTIRE perspective on chips and how they can effect and affect the game. Both tourney and cash.

But I'm saving money...calculating my options and my next chip purchase will be well thought out. Im sure this is the beginning of a major addiction perhaps even a problem for me, but there are far worst things to be addicted to....

Next time you're in the area, drop by and I'll show you some samples as well as my Paulson sets. Feed the hunger!

Get samples! :D

And go custom.

1187-moar-for-the-love-of-god-moar.jpg

Next time you're in the area, drop by and I'll show you some samples as well as my Paulson sets. Feed the hunger!

Thanks buddy! Unreal offer that I absolutely cannot refuse...

Definitely will be stopping by...

See you soon!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom