Hosting cash game at a bar (1 Viewer)

Last edited:
I run $1000 dart tournaments, all cash, all the time. Whoever collects the money is usually walking around with it in their pocket all night until payouts... never heard of anyone having an issue. And these are divebars.

People nor authorities necessarily associate darts with gambling and potentially large amounts of money. Everyone associates poker with gambling money.

We tried asking around local bars and got laughed at. Our regular bar owner had told us he had previously been arrested for allowing gambling. This was Hoboken NJ though... which has a history with gambling and authorities, and... other types.

The games that I played in at a bar or restaurant were in the back room with either the owner of the bar/restaurant or owner's family member. When I asked around jokingly at other venues, I was told that it wouldn't be a problem, if it wasn't for money... Basically, we would have to do the money digitally or collected offsite.

I host a monthly bar game, and it's a lot of fun.
But it's at a "club". See if you have a local Elks or Eagles organization. There are rules -- everyone has to be a member, etc. However, the cheap drinks pay for themselves in 1 night, and at least in Washington state, they allow poker.

No, it's not ideal. I'm sure it would be much more fun to go down to your favorite brew pub or something. But it could be an option.

We tried asking around local bars and got laughed at. Our regular bar owner had told us he had previously been arrested for allowing gambling. This was Hoboken NJ though... which has a history with gambling and authorities, and... other types.

Mus be talking about Hoboken of the 70's and 80's. It's now mostly wall street types because on the easy commute into lower Manhattan. Diff type of criminals now :)

Mus be talking about Hoboken of the 70's and 80's. It's now mostly wall street types because on the easy commute into lower Manhattan. Diff type of criminals now :)

I was a wall street type :) (But I left that business for a better life). But a lot of the local business owners are still from the old generation. Still lots of families remain from that generation as well even with the yuppies.

I think your best bet is going to be reserving/renting a back room or board room. When our group goes on trips we often play cards in the hotel board room and it works great.

How do home poker game laws relate to private games hosted in a business like a bar or hotel?

Hi @Pinesol13 this "bar game" will 100% NOT happen (legally).
Not trying to be an arse, as I do have a suggestion:
Try hosting your games at a golf course clubhouse (not at the restaurant that serves beer). Often golf lead will be happy to include your in-store game as a cap to the season or something to do during the winter.

Good luck!
I've seen card games happen all the time at our local clubhouses.

Another New York Stater here... I agree with all the comments saying that this is plainly illegal in New York. It’s also the kind of thing that authorities act aggressively against, unlike home games. Unless maybe if the bar is owned by a State trooper or a local judge... it’s going to get shut down.

I even saw a bar in the Hudson Valley get whacked with a violation for hosting a BINGO night, where the prizes were worth less than 10 bucks.

(That said, the one area I thought it might be possible — again only if the owner has a really good relationship with law-enforcement — would be if you rented a private room in a restaurant. Say it’s for a bachelor party, and oh whoopsie, a poker game broke out!)

I run $1000 dart tournaments, all cash, all the time. Whoever collects the money is usually walking around with it in their pocket all night until payouts... never heard of anyone having an issue. And these are divebars.

People one should not attempt to rob: A group of drunk guys carrying fistfuls of darts.

I attend a local game in the men’s lounge at a country club. No issues so far. I don’t think all players are club members but are allowed to play as guests.

would be if you rented a private room in a restaurant. Say it’s for a bachelor party, and oh whoopsie, a poker game broke out!)

Yeah I think renting a room in the back and not even asking the owner is the best route. By not asking for permission you actually protect the owner from liability.

Still not something I would recommend though. Much less hassle and drama to just play at someones house.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom