Hosting cash game at a bar (1 Viewer)

Pinesol13

Flush
Reaction score
I'm trying to plan a poker night at a bar, I'm going to stop in to some of our local bars/restaurants later this week to see if any of them would be ok with us coming in and playing cards at a table. But before I do that I'd like to know more about any potential issues that a business might have with this. We play lower stakes cash game, $0.50 blinds, buy-in up to $50. There's no rake or fees involved, so as far as I understand the game is legal when I host it at my house. But does that change if we host the game at a bar? Has anyone here done this before and had any issues?

Thanks!

NYS Liquor Laws prevent you from doing so. You can ask but they are risking their liquor license if they say yes.

This is important - but more so is asking if you are cool to play poker in the open like that? Seems like you're asking to get robbed.

That's interesting. Honestly that specifically did not cross my mind, probably because of the places that I was planning on going to to ask to host. They're not *that* type of bars.

But I was thinking of handling the buy-ins and payouts all through Venmo. I figured a bar wouldn't want us throwing a bunch of cash around.

I'm trying to plan a poker night at a bar, I'm going to stop in to some of our local bars/restaurants later this week to see if any of them would be ok with us coming in and playing cards at a table. But before I do that I'd like to know more about any potential issues that a business might have with this. We play lower stakes cash game, $0.50 blinds, buy-in up to $50. There's no rake or fees involved, so as far as I understand the game is legal when I host it at my house. But does that change if we host the game at a bar? Has anyone here done this before and had any issues?

Thanks!

In California, you can’t have any form of gambling in a bar or you risk losing your liquor license.

Thanks for the info on the liquor license laws. It still seems a bit crazy to me, I get that the bar itself shouldn't be allowed to plan/host any gambling, but if a patron is doing it on their own what's the problem.

A wad of cash like that is going to attract the wrong kind of attention at some point. People steal/mug for a lot less.

Random people walk into "that" type of place all the time. Hell, we were hosting a Meetup in a hotel conference room when this lady walks in off the street asking for a hot dog.

Oh yeah. I'm glad you brought up the potential danger. Like I said that never occurred to me but crazy things happen, you never know.

10 guys, $50 each. $500 on the table? I'm not saying that's enough for me to rob them, but if you've never met a crack head, let me know and I can make some introductions.

Edit to spell crack head correctly.

I honestly don't see this as a problem.

How about just robbing any one person on the street for their phone and it's worth almost the same as the whole game. And you don't have to fight 10 guys for it.

How about just robbing any one person on the street for their phone and it's worth almost the same as the whole game. And you don't have to fight 10 guys for it.
You don't rob the game, you hang out in the parking lot. You ain't gonna fight a crack head with a weapon, either. I'm just saying avoid the potential. Go play at the Elks Lodge, the VFW, or anywhere that's not off the street. Why take the risk?

On the Old Continent, Marius:D
Again, my phone is less than $20, basilcally for electronic intelligence security purposes:p

Are you seriously asking, because I can think of many.

No, not really. Just venting a little b/c now I realize my plan might be dead before it gets off the ground.

Buuuuuuuuut. Let's say in theory 6 guys go to a place and just want to play cards while drinking some beer. Just a friendly game, no cash or anything. Is that a problem, or does it only become a problem if there's money involved?

No, not really. Just venting a little b/c now I realize my plan might be dead before it gets off the ground.

Buuuuuuuuut. Let's say in theory 6 guys go to a place and just want to play cards while drinking some beer. Just a friendly game, no cash or anything. Is that a problem, or does it only become a problem if there's money involved?
It's the perception.

You don't rob the game, you hang out in the parking lot. You ain't gonna fight a crack head with a weapon, either. I'm just saying avoid the potential. Go play at the Elks Lodge, the VFW, or anywhere that's not off the street. Why take the risk?

Im still not convinced. It's a 50$ max BI game. But maybe you just have a lot more violent crack heads with weapons waiting to rob you in every parking lot in the US, what do I know

That's interesting. Honestly that specifically did not cross my mind, probably because of the places that I was planning on going to to ask to host. They're not *that* type of bars.

But I was thinking of handling the buy-ins and payouts all through Venmo. I figured a bar wouldn't want us throwing a bunch of cash around.

I run $1000 dart tournaments, all cash, all the time. Whoever collects the money is usually walking around with it in their pocket all night until payouts... never heard of anyone having an issue. And these are divebars.

I see it like this instead.

Random drunk guys sees your group playing poker. Says hey I can play better then all you pussies. Put me in.

You say no for whatever reason ( no room etc) and all of the sudden you and your group are in a scene at at bar. He starts a fight and your game is ruined. Yeah sounds fun.

Maybe it's that I live in Dallas and not a small town type of place. But I certainly wouldn't do anything involving more than paying for a drink at a dive bar in my area.

I had attended a Meet-Up game held in bars for the better part of a year, even though gambling in Tennessee is Illegal. One bar even provided fold-out table toppers.

The game was in the open. It was tournament style, so not a lot of digging into pockets like you get in a cash game, and buy-ins and payouts were "discreet".

We had to change venues a couple of times, because the bars were unhappy with the amount the group was spending as a whole. I found this odd as nearly everyone drank and ordered light food. However, by the 3rd venue I had to reconsider...
  • I would go through 3 drinks in 4-5 hours.
  • I had Mrs Zombie with me to be the driver, and she would always have at least 1 drink.
  • The majority of players arrived alone and would stick to soft drinks, a much lower profit margin.
  • Those that did drink only had 1 or 2 drinks
  • Maybe 1/3 the table ordered food.
Now compare that to normal bar drinking
  • Bars figure 2 drinks in the first hour per patron. It is typical to slow down the longer you stay (most states they are "obligated" to cut you off if drunk), but 1 per hour is still slow. In a 5 hour game, that's at least 6 drinks per person. @CraigT78 is the only person I've met that can play cards with that kind of drinking rate.
  • A food serving bar expects even more. We simply couldn't hang - the table was were tha cards and chips go. Bars aren't going to give you side table too. Table tops is how they anticipate their profit.
  • Poker is shitty for bar seating. Let's say you have 8 players. That would take 3x 4-tops to have enough room. Thats 12 patrons worth of tables for 8 people that aren't eating or drinking enough for even 8.
Of course if the bar is dead (say, 2pm on Thursday), the owner will be happy to have anyone vs no-one. 6-11pm Friday night though, and you will wear out your welcome in a big hurry.

Like I said, one venue was happy enough to supply poker table toppers (this was during the poker boom). Soon enough he was also no longer happy, was requesting a drink minimum, and then flat-out said "no more".

In Iowa, a business can apply for a “social gaming license”, which allows for very low stakes games (no individual can lose or win more than $50 in a day o_O), as long the host business doesn't take a rake, and the game otherwise complies with Iowa home game rules.

10 guys, $50 each. $500 on the table? I'm not saying that's enough for me to rob them, but if you've never met a crack head, let me know and I can make some introductions.

Edit to spell crack head correctly.

Potential robbers don’t know it’s a small stakes game. Maybe they see you playing and draw their own conclusions. Could be that people playing poker equals big money opportunity.

Hi @Pinesol13 this "bar game" will 100% NOT happen (legally).
Not trying to be an arse, as I do have a suggestion:
Try hosting your games at a golf course clubhouse (not at the restaurant that serves beer). Often golf lead will be happy to include your in-store game as a cap to the season or something to do during the winter.

Good luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom