Horseshoe Pesta 1895 pr0n (1 Viewer)

My father's brother had the very, very rare privilege, nowadays, to fight at Thermopylae!:) 2,500 years after Leonidas faced the Persians, there.
It was just a retarding battle, in April 1941, between some still battle-worthy Greek units, rallied around a New-Zealish Brigade, against the 2nd Pz Divizion of the Deutsche Wehrmacht.
He survived, only to die in combat against fellow Greeks (Communists) three years later.:(

Complete with soundtrack now

Dirges were played on graves, during funerals and memorial services. Mostly instrumental 'cause nobody could sing without bursting into sobbing for loved ones.
Most importantly, dirges were the opening musical pieces in yearly festivals, to pay tribute to the year's dead, and also to the expatriates (considered to be in a situation worse than that of the dead).

Of course, there would be some vocal mourning too, by women.
They would point out, while crying themselves, the most tragic and unfair circumstances of the deceased person's life, to provoke sympathy and tears to just everybody, including the harshest men around.

In the old, traditional culture of my country, it was an obligation to cry, for all attendants in a funeral.
In today's Wetern bourgeois tradition, you should not cry, and if in doubt, you should wear sunglasses.
Both "diktat"s are unnatural.

I was able to not cry in both of my parents' funerals; I was even able to read in the church, to my father, his beloved poem by Constantin Cavaffy, about "the feelings of the Dead not having been appreciated".

My New Yorker cousin (born and raised there) severed ties forever with his sister (who wanted to be mainstream American), when she said to their aunt, at their mother's funeral "Vantho, stop this" (she was dirging in the old Epirot way).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom