Horseshoe Cincy Secondaries: Thoughts? (2 Viewers)

DurangoKWest

High Hand
Reaction score
Hi guys, newb here wondering about the Horseshoe Cincy Secondary chips as my first set of Paulsons. What do you guys think? I keep reading people claiming HSI, Horseshoe Cincy, Jacks feel different plastics rubbery whatever. How true is any of that.

It says the secondary $25’s have some warping. Anybody got some that can speak to that?

I also saw something about glow in the dark ink coming off chips, is that a thing with the cincy chips?

Honest review from set owners appreciated

I have sets of both the HSI primary and secondary chips; mint. They are one of the best "RHC" style Paulson's in my opinion. I also have some of the Cincinnati JACK secondaries.

I haven't seen any warping on mine, but it is certainly possible that even new chips could be warped. Flattening them is quite easy, and there are many threads here that are dedicated to that purpose.

With all of this said, yes, the brighter colored chips have that weird yellow film on them. It's very upsetting. Cleaning them is an absolute nightmare to try to get that stuff off. As a result, I haven't put those chips that have been affected into play yet.

I keep reading people claiming HSI, Horseshoe Cincy, Jacks feel different plastics rubbery whatever.
Different than what?
As far as any of us know, Paulson changed it’s clay formulas only once, back in the late 90s, when they decided to remove the lead from their chips. So the clay in the chips you mention should be the same clay used by Paulson for the past 20 years.
Different molds can make chips feel different - RHC chip will feel different from a THC chip. And the amount of wear on a chip will make it feel different too. Personally, I’ve always said that word RHCs feel more like plastic than clay. But thousands of people are thrilled to own these chips, so that’s just one man’s opinion. I’ve handled horseshoe cincys and HSIs and no, I wouldn’t say they’re different than any other Paulson RHCs from the last 20 years.
I also saw something about glow in the dark ink coming off chips, is that a thing with the cincy chips?
I thought this was an issue exclusive to the HSI snappers. But we’ve seen claims that other bright colors are affected as well. I’d love to know more. But I’ll say this - those Cincinnati horseshoes have been around for like 5 years, and nobody was ever talking about this issue until the HSI snappers showed up last year. So I can’t say for sure, but I wouldn’t think you have anything to worry about with the horseshoe Cincinnati’s.

Rubbery or plasticy? Absolutely not. With RHC’s you may feel more label due to the size, but they feel the same. Most of my sets are rhc and I’d never complain about them. I have thc as well.

That said, the hsc inlays and colours are my least favorite of all the recent chiproom sales. I find hsi, jacks etc all much nicer personally.

Most of my sets are rhc and I’d never complain about them. I have thc as well.
Man, I don’t know. My RHC Jack set has only been felted once, and after just a single use by respectful players, I found a flea bite on two chips. Probably a few more if looked hard enough.

The edges, on RHCs, is prone to chipping and isn’t strong or as durable as the THC molded chips. I’ve felted my THC Empress Joliet cash set, on 3 occasions, and don’t have a single chip with a flea bite.

As well, with RHCs, it always seems to be right around the top of the hat, since they are too close to the rolling edge. Anything bangs into it in that spot, and it breaks off.

So for me, there is a pretty big difference durability wise. Perhaps YMMV or I got unlucky with my particular Jack chips.

Man, I don’t know. My RHC Jack set has only been felted once, and after just a single use by respectful players, I found a flea bite on two chips. Probably a few more if looked hard enough.

The edges, on RHCs, is prone to chipping and isn’t strong or as durable as the THC molded chips. I’ve felted my THC Empress Joliet cash set, on 3 occasions, and don’t have a single chip with a flea bite.

So for me, there is a pretty big difference durability wise. Perhaps YMMV or I got unlucky with my particular Jack chips.
Probably just negligent storage ;)

You mean the metal oil drum I got isn’t for the chips?
Those matsui racks are dangerous. ;)

But seriously, I host a lot and never had a problem with my RHC’s. All look excellent. Not hundreds of games, but my HSI’s have probably 10-12 games on them. Maybe more. The fracs definitely do and they are indistinguishable from mint.

Just do what I'm apparently doing; buying one set for every day of the year in order to limit wear and tear. Only 340 more sets to go ...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom