HORSE Semi-Bubble Decision (1 Viewer)

Moxie Mike

Full House
Reaction score
I'm fine with how I played the hand in question - this is more to start a discussion on risk management and if I really needed to get involved at all.

$50k HORSE Championship at The Orleans. 300 entries; 72 remain. ITM starts at 40 players.

Level 15: 1k ante 1.5k bring in 2500/5000 limits

Game is Stud.

My stack after posting the ante is around 30k. Avg stack is about 60k.

3rd street is the :ac:. I look down at :ah::2s: in the hole.

The bring-in lands two seats to my left. MP (stack ~80k) completes to 2500 with a :9c:.

I raise to 5k. Folds back to MP who calls.

I proceeded to bet every street until I was all in on 6th St with my pair of aces unimproved. Unfortunately, 6th St paired the villian's king that he caught on 4th, giving him two pair (he had a nine in the hole).

7th street bricked and I was out of the tournament.

So I got it in with the best of it and got outdrawn by an opponent who probably should have folded to my aggression on an early street. Nothing really to discuss there. But I wonder if I should have just mucked and waited for a better spot where I could open and be the initial aggressor, giving me a much better chance of winning the pot uncontested.

This was two levels after the dinner break, which saw the remaining players drop from 140 to 72 in just one hour. Min-cashing is never a goal of mine, and my philosophy is that I play to win the tournament.

Thoughts?

If it's about risk management, what was your entry fee and what was a min cash?

Even apart from the tactical tourney situation:

In my experience playing 7 stud, if you go two streets without improving, especially 4th and 5th, you probably shouldn't be putting another chip into the pot.

Hero is short stacked - maybe very short stacked. "M" doesn't perfectly translate to stud, but Hero has something like an M of 3 to 4. He has five big bets left. Ignore the bubble. hero will be stacked and back in his room hours before the bubble pops. While I appreciate the wisdom of taking a cautious approach to an unimproved pair of aces when the bets get big, hero's stack is too short for such considerations.

A (Ax) is a premium starting hand in stud. Much more true when short stacked. Hero isn't likely to get a better hand to risk his stack. GO TO WAR sir. No second guessing, this is your time to double up or go bust.

Go get 'em tiger! Coming home on your shield is better than getting blinded / anted down to dust -=- DrStrange

Yeah, I think you are going with this one as well. It sucks not to improve but you are in good shape, even against kings up. You are too short and there really aren't better starting hands other than rolled up trips. (Unless any of your cards are dead.)

I mean really, you aren't going to outlast 32 people at this stage of the tournament.

The only thing that would make me consider a fold is if the cards to improve were dead.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom