Hornswoggled by the Mrs.! (1 Viewer)

Strike1st

Straight
Reaction score
We decided to finish part of the basement...roughly 600 s.f. I HAD the green light to buy a poker table...had it narrowed down to 2 used tables. Then bam...Momma changed her mind.:mad:

She decided we needed a table for overflow at dinners and parties and a table that board games could be played on. WTF!? (Apparently a rail is bad for board game play and obviously turkey and stuffing isn't going on a card table). She asked don't they make poker tables with a top?:mad:

So we looked and I puked.

Here is the compromise...

We have a steel framed dining room table with slate tiles. It's a terrible table. The slate is uneven and nothing sits flat and if you spill something it goes straight through. It's in the garage scheduled for craigslist. This is what it looks like: http://site.mawebcenters.com/thebigtinshed/_images//ash_d233.gif

The plan is to replace the slate with ceramic tile and set them in a color match silicone to stop spills. Then build a poker table top (it's going to be a heavy s.o.b.) that can be lifted off and set aside 3 or 4 times a year...I will have a boxed area on the bottom of the table that will slip around the table top to "lock" it in place. Going to be 42 or 44 inches wide by 8 ft long race track style.

I ordered samples of ssc from Yat today.

I'll be modeling this in a 3D cad software prior to construction.

This is destined for the ugly table thread. ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED!

Divorce is my only advice.

Or consider making a tabletop for the poker table. If it's only used occasionally it doesn't need to be the best thing ever. Rectangle box construction. Will probably cost less than making a poker table top.

The plan is to replace the slate with ceramic tile and set them in a color match silicone to stop spills. Then build a poker table top (it's going to be a heavy s.o.b.) that can be lifted off and set aside 3 or 4 times a year...I will have a boxed area on the bottom of the table that will slip around the table top to "lock" it in place. Going to be 42 or 44 inches wide by 8 ft long race track style.

A poker table-top to fit your ceramic top table doesn't need to be particularly heavy, imo. For the playing surface, I'd go with a 5/8" plywood base, with small 2x4 blocks mounted flat in each corner underneath to hold it in place when placed on top of the table -- you don't need to block the entire table circumference. Standard 1/4" foam or headliner with ssc on top, and a separate 4.5" or 5" wrap-over padded rail (1" foam) that lifts off - no need for attachments. Plus you can use the padded table without rail for those board game parties.

If you have the wall space, the table top and rail can be hung when not in place on the table. One person can manhandle a 40" x 80" table top solo, if careful. Anything larger might require two people to maneuver around.

But I'd strongly advise you to reconsider going with a racetrack design, unless it is all felt and no wood. Wood racetrack tables are certainly pretty, but they suck for actual play compared to a flush continuous playing surface. They are also more expensive, more difficult to build, weigh more, can damage poker chips and playing cards, and are subject to wood damage (scratches, marring) that require subsequent repair. You can get the same design effect as a racetrack with printed speed cloth or gaming suede, without any of the drawbacks of using actual wood.

Poker table works great for board games. A sheet of plywood and tablecloth and voila, overflow for the SECONDARY purpose of parties per the original agreement.

Check her purse. She does not need to be toting your testicles around. [emoji22]

Divorce is my only advice.

Or consider making a tabletop for the poker table. If it's only used occasionally it doesn't need to be the best thing ever. Rectangle box construction. Will probably cost less than making a poker table top.

I second this. If you have the means I highly suggest it. Just for size try countering with an offer to build her a table for her walk-in closet. Or wait a couple days and bring home some billiard brochures. Have the biggest snooker table you can find circled and leave it near the counter. Then casually drop the "oh, I found a compromise and it's a little cheaper than I thought" ice-breaker. Your POKER table wont seem so bad now....

I don't understand. You puked because of the design or you puked because of the price? I would check out Chanman and see some of the poker table toppers he has made.

index.php

index.php

I puked at the price...I checked and divorce is too expensive....as was the ugly multiple use tables...not to mention the cost.

My nuts are in my possession...unfortunately I bought a new truck last year...without her seeing it and without her knowledge...I save my kiss my asses for big purchases. We're looking at some hunting/getaway property right now so I'm saving this year's trump card for that.

Dave...no race track will be built or bought. Messed with one today. ..didn't care for it.

I think I'll check out Chan man...if I can do that I will. If not ugly table thread here I come.

Poker table works great for board games. A sheet of plywood and tablecloth and voila, overflow for the SECONDARY purpose of parties per the original agreement.

I use my poker table (oval, no racetrack) for board game night all the time. In fact, I just had one last night. I think it works just fine, and my guests - many of whom are not poker players - have never complained.

My nuts are in my possession...unfortunately I bought a new truck last year...without her seeing it and without her knowledge...I save my kiss my asses for big purchases. We're looking at some hunting/getaway property right now so I'm saving this year's trump card for that....I think I'll check out Chan man...if I can do that I will. If not ugly table thread here I come.
Geez...actually sounds like you got it pretty good. :D I have definitely learned that when/if I ever get a green light to purchase anything on my "want" list, I do everything in my power to make the purchase RIGHT AWAY...before she changes her mind or she decides the money should be spent elsewhere.

That Chan Man table posted by moose above is the perfect compromise IMHO (if you can swing the cost of course).

I don't understand. You puked because of the design or you puked because of the price? I would check out Chanman and see some of the poker table toppers he has made.

index.php

index.php

Even if he can't get something like this to you within your price range (I imagine shipping would add several hundred dollars to this purchase price) He may have an idea for a connection to builder in your area.....he does host a poker table building website you know. ;)

http://pokertableforum.com

You might even find some other examples that the Mrs. likes better

If you are looking at an overflow dining room table from a furniture store ( I know because I have been looking recently). A low tier dining room table might run $400-500 that would fit 4 people. A middle of the road table that fits 8 people comfortable is usually between $700-1200.

Depending on what you need, I dont believe people like T Chan or even BBO are that far off from that figure. It usually comes down to budget first, then aesthetics second

Geez...actually sounds like you got it pretty good. :D I have definitely learned that when/if I ever get a green light to purchase anything on my "want" list, I do everything in my power to make the purchase RIGHT AWAY...before she changes her mind or she decides the money should be spent elsewhere.

That Chan Man table posted by moose above is the perfect compromise IMHO (if you can swing the cost of course).

This was my fatal mistake.

I actually called her while signing papers on the truck...I was scheduled for execution until she saw it. 2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab All Terrain Edition. I traded I my 2012 Crew Silverado for it. That and a GM family discount. She saw Buckets, leather trimmed seats, bose sound and the 7 inch screen and all was forgiven. Gotta love a girl from the south!

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

If you are looking at an overflow dining room table from a furniture store ( I know because I have been looking recently). A low tier dining room table might run $400-500 that would fit 4 people. A middle of the road table that fits 8 people comfortable is usually between $700-1200.

Depending on what you need, I dont believe people like T Chan or even BBO are that far off from that figure. It usually comes down to budget first, then aesthetics second

I'm going to see what Chan and I can come up with...the shipping might suck though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom