Homemade Seating Chips for Starting Stack Tube Caps (1 Viewer)

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I found this idea suggested here on the forum some time ago, and finally acted on it.

When I realized I will have a full house of 30 players for my annual BBQ Poker Tourney next weekend, I decided a better/more efficient method for seating would be needed.

I just didn’t want to deal with using separate seating chips in addition to 30 starting stacks/tubes, and thought that using the tube-caps as a “seating chip” would be a good idea.

I took some photos along the way to share the process. Enjoy!

WHAT'S NEEDED
U-Line Retail Tubes
U-Line Retail Caps
1-1/2" clear acrylic discs
Silicone adhesive/sealant (clear)
@Gear labels

The purpose of the clear acrylic discs is to create a flat surface for the seating label, since the underside of the cap has raised mold markings.

Setting up, with everything laid out:

Peeling protective layer off the acrylic disc (pardon my dirty fingernails):

First label applied to disc:

* Be careful pressing the labels onto the disc! Do NOT rotate the disc between your fingers as you press down. The edge of the acrylic disc is sharp, and can cut into your skin if you're not careful. I speak from experience!

Labels complete:

Apply a dime-size dollop of adhesive in center of cap:

Press labeled disc into cap:

Repeat, and voila!:

Now all I have to do is hand out starting stacks, and players will have their seat number and table assignment at the same time!

Last edited:
Very classy, 'dude... and those AS tube stacks look fantastic. But I couldn't find any blood shots.....
* Be careful pressing the labels onto the disc! Do NOT rotate the disc between your fingers as you press down. The edge of the acrylic disc is sharp, and can cut into your skin if you're not careful. I speak from experience!

Very classy, 'dude... and those AS tube stacks look fantastic. But I couldn't find any blood shots.....

It was in the inside crease of my thumb-knuckle. I was rotating the disc while pressing down on the label, and it sliced right into the skin. Heeled now; just looked like a severe paper cut.

This is really cool but 1.5 inches is 38mm yet 39mm chips seem to fit great. What am I missing? Tubes slightly bigger than listed maybe ...

This is really cool but 1.5 inches is 38mm yet 39mm chips seem to fit great. What am I missing? Tubes slightly bigger than listed maybe ...

Tubes must be a little oversized. They definitely fit... and with a tiny bit of room left over. I haven’t pulled out a caliper, but I’m guessing they’re 1.55” or so.

So how many people just started shaking their tubes up and down and smacking chips around?

You mean the outside of the cap?

Sure, but would be a lot harder to conceal for the random seating draw.
No, under the cap, right where he affixed the disk. It seems to me the inclusion of the disk was an unnecessary step when a laminated label would suffice.

The silicone would fill the gaps between cap and mold markings the same way it would between disk and mold markings.

You mean push the label right on to the caulk/sealant?

You could probably do that. I think it could be a little messy, and also result in an uneven/dimpled label. But it would certainly work.

I’d recommend a heavier stock for the label if you want to go with that approach. The ones I got were pretty thin/flimsy... and I’d worry that they would not apply flat/smooth when pressed into the sealant. And end up looking like a kindergarten craft-time project.

Last edited:
@justsomedude

Dumb question.

What did you use to denote the seat numbers at the tables?
Put down the dealer button and count over from the button?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom