Home Poker League? (1 Viewer)

RiverAce01

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Is this a thing? If you run one of these, how do you do it? My home game has grown to be once or twice a month with 6 or 7 people and then 3 or 4 of those people play an additional 2 or 3 times each month as well. I'm thinking about turning it into a "league" this fall and keep track of everything with points.

Any pointers in how to do this?

Essentially, 11 regular season events. You get points for your finish based on Dr. Neau's formula.

We used to put the Top 8 in the Championship and the next 9 would battle it out in a STT for the 9th Championship seat. So the 12th month would have 2 STT events. This season, we switched to just top 9 in the Championship. Next season, we are considering taking the summer off.

Payouts are based on 4ceps formula.

Just about everything is covered in the rule book (which is heavily based on Robert's Rules).

We have a monthly club, $200 buy in, and average 24-30 players.....this is our 7th year. We send a player to the MAIN EVENT (and other wsop events) every season! These are not the complete rules, by the way!

CLUB OVERVIEW
WSOP Club is a social club made up of friends and invited players only. Our goals include building camaraderie, increasing our poker skills, and staking a group of us to the World Series of Poker in 2018 to play in various events, including the Main Event. All vested partners will share in any 2018 WSOP cashes by our members. There are 12 regular season tournaments, and there is no commitment involved. Members may play in one, a few, or all 12 tournaments. There is no rake for this club, and 100% of all monies received are paid out, used to sponsor members in World Series of Poker events, or put back into the league for supplies.

The winner of EACH regular season tournament will win a seat at the 2018 World Series of Poker, cash, AND get a free roll to the Championship Table in May, 2018. The specific WSOP event size and cash are dependent on the number of players in the current tourney. With just 19 players, first place wins a $1,000 WSOP seat (plus cash). A $1,500 WSOP seat is awarded with 24 or more players. At 30 players, first AND second place win seats! Other places will also receive cash prizes each tourney (based on the number of players). At the end of the regular season (the 12 tournaments), the season points leader will be named “Player of the Year” AND receive $2,500 in WSOP seats. The second place point leader will receive a $1,500 seat, and the third place point leader a $1,000 seat. Players at the May Championship Table will be playing for two more WSOP seats---The $10,000 Main Event and a $1,500 seat. In additional to the tournament winners, there will also be 4 Wild Card players invited to the Championship Table. These will be members who failed to win a tournament, but qualify due to high finishes

I'd really like to see out Player of the Year and/or Champion get staked in a local tournament with the whole group getting a piece of the action... Not for the profit, just for the fun of rail birding. That hasn't happened yet, tho. Our stakes aren't large enough to stake in much more than a local tournament. Our championship is usually about $1000 for first place.

I do have one complaint. To many damn NLHE tourney's.

@WedgeRock / @Azcat I'm actually not a fan of dropping the STT for the 9th spot. Do you think that will affect attendance the last few games of the season? I really liked that component of the league.

Our league is in its 13th year, 11 tourneys, event winners earn Main Event (league, not WSOP) seat. Top points earners without wins get ME seats to 15 players. 16th seat up for grabs in a satty. Main Event, 16 players, deep stacks. This year we have 32 in our group.

We toyed with the idea years ago of putting in a PLO event, or a 7stud tourney to mix it up, but only a handful of players know how to play those games, much less deal them. Personally, I'd love to spread a HORSE event one month, but RAZZ might make people quit. Suppose we could play SHOE (of HOSE), but again...the mix might be too much for some.

We are all about having a good time...stakes aren't high, no rake for the house. Just a big group of NLHE players that enjoy each others company, bad beats and all.

I do have one complaint. To many damn NLHE tourney's.

@WedgeRock / @Azcat I'm actually not a fan of dropping the STT for the 9th spot. Do you think that will affect attendance the last few games of the season? I really liked that component of the league.

We might reintroduce the Qualifier next year if we drop summer tourneys. Fact is, with everyone's kids getting busier, attendance is down. Especially in the summer.

I was thinking of making the tournament the Top X players + everyone who won a tournament (shoot-out fashion). That would make the Championship more than a STT, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

We are on season 5 of our league that awards $1500 WSOP Monster Stack seats. Last season we awarded 4 seats. This season we will send 5+. We run 15 tournaments(best 8 scores count). 10 NLHE, 1 LHE, 1 Split pot championship, 1 big bet championship, 1 PLO 6max, 1 5card PLO. Also we award a seat from a end of the season freeroll. You accumulate chips for the freeroll based on attendance. Late season events award exponentially more chips. All the players who play get a % of the cashes won from the league horses. Last season we got our 1st cash(250th place for $5410).

A league member wrote up an article about our vegas trip from this past summer. https://www.vegasbright.com/2017/07/11/michael-james-cashed-world-series-poker/

We are on season 5 of our league that awards $1500 WSOP Monster Stack seats. Last season we awarded 4 seats. This season we will send 5+. We run 15 tournaments(best 8 scores count). 10 NLHE, 1 LHE, 1 Split pot championship, 1 big bet championship, 1 PLO 6max, 1 5card PLO. Also we award a seat from a end of the season freeroll. You accumulate chips for the freeroll based on attendance. Late season events award exponentially more chips. All the players who play get a % of the cashes won from the league horses. Last season we got our 1st cash(250th place for $5410).

A league member wrote up an article about our vegas trip from this past summer. https://www.vegasbright.com/2017/07/11/michael-james-cashed-world-series-poker/

What's your formula for awarding freeroll chips? I am thinking of doing something like what you have described.

I did this for several years, but ran things a tad different.
my "league" was a $50 buy in. $35 went to the prize pool, $5 was a bounty, $10 went to the year end game. I ran regular tournaments for 11 months (Jan - Nov), and then ran the final game in Dec. Points were accumulated based on the position you busted. The points directly related to chips, and your total points were your starting chip stack in the final game

I will have to try to find the old formula, but it was complex. Usually the 1st person to bust received around 150 points, whereas the winner received around 5000 points. The final year, I also gave everyone an extra 100 points for each bounty collected. Chip stacks ranged from 4000 to 28000 for the final game. I do not believe that the big stack ever won the final game. Players were not allowed to chop in the monthly tournaments. We did relax this though, and if the players wanted to chop the money, they could. Stack size determined points and position though. Usually, the top 10 players exceeded the 1000 point threshold.

All of my league documentation, tournament director, spreadsheets, etc.. was on an old laptop that is completely dead. I can always try to find the formula.

The final year, I allowed 1 rebuy per game, and it was only offered to the 1st person to bust out. This was handled like a normal rebuy and all fees were the same.

I believe the final game of the final season, the winner was due around $1500, but we had a 3-way chop and each player received about $900.

My players loved this, as you could miss games without a huge impact to your score. We could also have 1-time players join and play and not impact the linear points models that most use. There was no dropping scores, and the points model encouraged players to attend as many as possible. Naturally, those that played every month generally had much higher points totals. There was no commitment and no up-front costs.

Mark

Last edited:
What's your formula for awarding freeroll chips? I am thinking of doing something like what you have described.

-events 1-5 award 1000 each
-If you play all 1-5 you get bonus 1500
-event 6-10 award 2000 each
-event 11-14 award 3000 each
-event 15(main event) awards 4000 itself
-play any 5 events get 1000, play any 9 get 2500, play any 12 get 4000(you get all 3 of these if you play 12+)

This should come out to an even 40000 chips. Our freeroll starts at 25/50 blinds. Lots of play for our most dedicated players. We take a 90 break at dinner and have a steak and shrimp dinner. The host asks for only $10 for the dinner and we all enjoy the last tournament we have each year.

The freeroll always makes me bitter. I've come Runner up in year 2 and year 3.

Ask me any other questions about my league.

-events 1-5 award 1000 each
-If you play all 1-5 you get bonus 1500
-event 6-10 award 2000 each
-event 11-14 award 3000 each
-event 15(main event) awards 4000 itself
-play any 5 events get 1000, play any 9 get 2500, play any 12 get 4000(you get all 3 of these if you play 12+)

This should come out to an even 40000 chips. Our freeroll starts at 25/50 blinds. Lots of play for our most dedicated players. We take a 90 break at dinner and have a steak and shrimp dinner. The host asks for only $10 for the dinner and we all enjoy the last tournament we have each year.

The freeroll always makes me bitter. I've come Runner up in year 2 and year 3.

Ask me any other questions about my league.

Thanks for the info. I was trying to figure out a way to keep players in to the end and this sounds prefect. And FWIW, I have almost perfected the art of being the bubble boy in our games.

FWIW, this is what I use for my league:

POINTS SYSTEM

Replying to invite - 5 pts

Placings (6 player example)

1st - 30pts, 2nd - 25pts, 3rd - 20pts, 4th - 15pts, 5th - 5pts, 6th - 0pts

Placings (10 player example)

1st - 50pts, 2nd - 45pts, 3rd - 40pts, 4th - 35pts, 5th - 25pts

6th - 20pts, 7th - 15pts, 8th - 10pts, 9th - 5pts, 10th - 0pts.

Buy in - 5pts

Early buy in 15 min before game time - 10 pts

Hits / Knockouts - 5 pts

Bounty - additional 5 pts to knock out 5pts.

Bring A Friend - 25 pts. Bring a friend starts on the second game of the season.

Once knocked out of a tournament, you may rebuy, however, your placing will not change. If you are knocked out 1st, you will receive 0 pts for placing, but can still win top prize and earn 5 pts per KO.

PAYOUT STRUCTURE
6 players - 2 Places - 1st 70%, 2nd 30%

7 - 10 players - 3 Places - 1st 50%, 2nd 30%, 3rd 20%

12-19 players - 4 Places - 1st - 40%, 2nd - 30%, 3rd - 20%, 4th 10%

20 players - 5 Places - 1st - 40%, 2nd - 25%, 3rd - 20%, 4th - 10%, 5th - 5%

FORMULA FOR CHIP STACK AT THE MAIN EVENT
Starting Stack 10,000

Attendance - 200 per game

Points x 10

Cash won x 2

Example: Pedro Pokerplayer shows up to 7 games. He has 325 points. He won a total of $405.

Pedro starts the main event with (10,000+1400+3250+810) = 15460

I created a pretty simple league here a few years ago. We have ~18 players per year.

$30 per game +$10 to Championship game ($100 each to champ.)

10 games

earn points based on finish position:
18th - 1 point
17th - 2 points
3rd - 20
2nd - 22
1st place - 24 points ( we add TWO points for each position finishing in top 3)

Then for stack size at championship game you earn a percentage of chips based on your finish position

1st - 17% (17,000 for ex)
10th - 5% (5,000 for ex)

So if we had 18 players: $1800 to play for in Championship game

would like to have a more complex league, but this works for simple low budget players

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom