Home microstakes cash game buy-in? One set amount or range of amounts? (1 Viewer)

Manbearpig

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi, as the title question says, I was wondering what is more preferred, in regards to a home microstakes cash game with some friends and of family? I have
200x 5c
200x 25c
100x $100

And for the most part I think my group would only play $5-$20 at the most, but I would like to make a $10 minimum. If I were to plan a game, would it be acceptable or fair to have a range of buy in amounts like say $10-$20? Or should it be capped at one amount like $10 or even have a wider range like $5-$15? Opening game would be 5c-10c blinds and change as table would see fit.

Thanks in advance y’all!

Usually for a start buyin of 100 bb (which is $10 for 5c/10c) and rebuyin of 100-200bb is the norm

This may be a good guide for your game, you can always adjust the buyin and rebuyin in future once you have a taste of the game

Also i going to assume you mean 100x $1 rather than 100x $100, in that case your bank is a bit short at $160 that is only 16 buy in of $10 which is not enough if you are playing with more than 5 people

It will be good to add in a few barrels of $5 denominations to increase your bank

Last edited:
Range is great. I set my range at 20xBB minimum and 150xBB maximum, but you can do whatever works for your game.

I have a microstakes game with my family and the buy in had been $10 max with 0.05-0.10 blinds. You can certainly do $10-$20 max with the same blinds for a 200BB deep game.

It's always worth giving players low buy-in options, imo. $10 minimum might work for your group (always ask their opinion first!), but if someone is tight on cash one week and just wants the thrill of playing for cheap, $5 is a lot easier to put together (e.g. digging for change down the back of the sofa!) than $10.

How much total do your players want to risk each game?

It's good to understand this because you don't want the guy playing $20 total to buy in for $20, lose it in 10 minutes, leave and break the game. In my old NL game the rule was you can only buy in for half the amount you're risking for the night. 3 buy ins would be better honestly.

Also 200 nickles is a lot, even for a full 10 players. Probably better to invest in more workhorse and higher denoms for rebuys.

Hi yes I meant I have 100 x $1. I have a barrel of 5s of a different brand I could use if needed but I was also planning on more quarters and dollars, and definetly a couple barrels of 5s, thanks for the advice peeps, I think I’ll leave the option for low stakes range in there so I can better gauge my players cheers

Hi yes I meant I have 100 x $1. I have a barrel of 5s of a different brand I could use if needed but I was also planning on more quarters and dollars, and definitely a couple barrels of 5s, thanks for the advice peeps, I think I’ll leave the option for low stakes range in there so I can better gauge my players cheers
You should be able to edit the top post

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom