Home League Points System (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I run a home poker league that has around 8-12 different players throughout the season. We have 11 tournaments over the course of our season (a calendar year), and tournaments usually have 6-9 guys, which means we usually play a single table tournament (with re-buys & add-ons). Currently, the points system we use is very basic with the last place finisher receiving 2pts, and then every finisher after that receives 2pts more than the previous place. The only exception is that our 1st place finisher recieves 4 more points than the 2nd place finisher.
For example, in a 7 person tournament,
7th: 2pts, 6th: 4pts, 5th: 6pts, 4th: 8pts, 3rd: 10pts, 2nd: 12pts, 1st: 16pts.

The person who finishes with the most points after the last tournament wins the Player of the Year (and a few bucks that have been withheld from each tourney). Our top 5 in points qualify for our end of the year freeroll.
I've been searching past forum threads to see if there is a better points system out there for my league, but haven't really found anything. I like that everyone gets points for participating--so that's one thing I wouldn't want to change. Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks so much for your help!!

Last edited:
I personally use Dr Neau's formula (possibly modified) but it's not for everyone, nor is it preferred by some of the regulars round here. I like it because it awards participation which I believe is important to keeping folks coming back each month if they aren't regularly in the money.

Anyway - if you have a full cup of coffee and 45 minutes to kill read through this thread:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/league-points.6199/

It's a gold mine of information with a little bit of arguing.

I personally use Dr Neau's formula (possibly modified) but it's not for everyone, nor is it preferred by some of the regulars round here. I like it because it awards participation which I believe is important to keeping folks coming back each month if they aren't regularly in the money.

Anyway - if you have a full cup of coffee and 45 minutes to kill read through this thread:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/league-points.6199/

It's a gold mine of information with a little bit of arguing.

Thanks @CraigT78 , I will definitely read through the thread!

Hey everyone!
I run a home poker league that has around 8-12 different players throughout the season. We have 11 tournaments over the course of our season (a calendar year), and tournaments usually have 6-9 guys, which means we usually play a single table tournament (with re-buys & add-ons). Currently, the points system we use is very basic with the last place finisher receiving 2pts, and then every finisher after that receives 2pts more than the previous place. The only exception is that our 1st place finisher recieves 4 more points than the 2nd place finisher.
For example, in a 7 person tournament,
7th: 2pts, 6th: 4pts, 5th: 6pts, 4th: 8pts, 3rd: 10pts, 2nd: 12pts, 1st: 16pts.

The person who finishes with the most points after the last tournament wins the Player of the Year (and a few bucks that have been withheld from each tourney). Our top 5 in points qualify for our end of the year freeroll.
I've been searching past forum threads to see if there is a better points system out there for my league, but haven't really found anything. I like that everyone gets points for participating--so that's one thing I wouldn't want to change. Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks so much for your help!!
I run a couple of tournaments with cumulative scoring that's about as simple as it gets. Both work well.

Alpha Shootout (regular tournament):

We assign points based on the number of players participating, and based on each player's finish. For example:

10 players:
1st player knocked out = 1 point
2nd out = 2 points
3rd out = 3 points
Etc....
Winner = 10 points

The scoring adjusts for the difficulty in winning each month due to the number of players by assigning more points for a larger number of players and less for a lower number of players. E.g., a 13 player tournament gives 13 points to the winner and a 7 player tournament gives 7 pts to the winner.

Cash Game Poker Series:

Every Friday, from Labor day through Superbowl Sunday, we play a no limit hold-em cash game (.50/$1) blinds.

-- We award points based on winnings or lossings; thus you can receive both negative and positive points.

--Each $20 buy in requires $2 to be placed in a pot that is paid out to the top 3 players at the end of the year (1st gets 50%, 2nd= 30%, 3rd=20%).

This one is a big hit with cash game players.

Good luck with whatever structure you use!!

Haven't heard of anyone else doing this, so I'll throw it in here. I used to run a series of mixed tournament and cash games, with the cash games having a tournament component. The rules were:

=========================================
The house rules consist of the then-current TDA rules, as amended by the general Hold'em rules on this site, and then by this page. At least half of the games will be NLHE; the remaining half may be mixed or other single (Omaha, stud, Chowaha, badougi, PL or NL) games. Most will be cash games; there may be some pure tournaments as well.

- The series will run through the end of June 2012, which should give us 25-30 game dates.

- The cash games will generally be $1/2 (there may be exceptions) with an initial buy-in of $100-$200. There will be no add-ons until you bust.

- Most games will be played as straight cash, but with a tournament component added. Tournament points will be awarded for your position of finish -- 1 point for first to bust, 2 points for second to bust, etc. If fewer than eight players participate on any given week, the first to bust will receive 1+8-n points (where n is the number of players present), and so forth.

- If you bust, you can re-buy (with our normal add-on rules), and play strictly for cash the rest of the night -- but you will not be able to accrue any additional points that night.

- For those who do not bust, the remaining finishing positions will be determined by chip count at the end of the hand in progress at midnight. (Play may continue as a straight cash game beyond midnight, if players so desire).

- Points will be accumulated over the course of the series. In order to qualify for the final table, you must play at least half the games. From those who have qualified, the top 8 players in total points will be eligible for the final table, which will be played as the first game following the end of June.

- The final table will be a freeroll for those top eight players, who will receive initial chip stacks based on their final point totals.

- The final table will be financed by raking the entire series at $1 for each hand whose pot reaches $10, or for which a flop is dealt. For tournaments, the rake will be an added 10% of the buy-in (e.g., $100 +10). All the proceeds will be distributed to the final table players.

- Games will start by 7:45 pm. Late arrivals will have their maximum allowable buy-in reduced by 25% (usually $50) for each fifteen minutes they are late. Players who cancel the day of the game, or who no-show, will receive zero points; however, total points awarded for that game will be based on player count as though they were present.
===========================================

The final tally for the last year before we moved to FL looked like this:

Series2012.jpg

Note that we only had nine eligible for the final table, with $2400+ in that final table cash. The competition was pretty tight for that eighth spot at the final table. It worked out well, and not one player had any complaints.

There is a blinds timer app called Blinds Up, a lot of people on this site have downloaded it. If you use it, it has 3 different points system you can set up to use.
I think the high end version is $10. It is worth looking at.

I like the enthusiasm you have for your game Joe. Speaking candidly without knowing much about your group, I think your focus should be on improving the attendance level of your players and growing your game.

We use 1 point for last and increase one point per position finishes after that, down to the final 3 in our 19 player league, where we finally give additional points and only 2 extra per spot

19th - 1 point
18 - 2 points
17 - 3 points
5th - 15
4th - 16
3rd - 18
2nd - 20
1st - 22 points

It works well for the diverse level of skill for our players.. let's some of the weaker players get their shot at the final table. we play 10 games and the top 10/19 players in points, play for $1900 ($100 from each league player). We also play for $30 per game.
So $400 league, 10 games, $30 out each game in prizes and top 10 in points play for the $1900

We also start with more chips in the final game based on your finish position

1st - 17,000
10th - 5,000

We do much like some of the others. Points are 1 point for last, then add one for every position leading to first, who gets an extra point. We then do a tourney at the end of the time where anyone who has points can play, each point is 500 chips. Every spot pays out (within reason... Normally top 7-8.... But it's not a ton)

There is a blinds timer app called Blinds Up, a lot of people on this site have downloaded it. If you use it, it has 3 different points system you can set up to use.
I think the high end version is $10. It is worth looking at.

I will definitely look into Blinds Up! Thanks for the suggestion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom