Home Insulation - which is preferred? Bat/Roll (Fiberglass) vs Blown/Loose Fill (Cellulose) (1 Viewer)

gmunny

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to re-do my attic insulation and was wondering what the PCF community thinks of or has any pros/cons of Bat/Roll insulation vs Blown/Loose Fill? I will be hiring someone to do it, but wasn't sure which was better or any downsides in either? I searched the internet but most articles seem to be written by installers as advertising. I understand the R-rating and being in So Cal the temps are generally hot in the summer with cool but not freezing temps in winter.

Any good/bad stories, comments or recommendations?

Thanks!
Greg

Thanks but really would like to hear from anyone that recently had insulation installed.

Take a look at rockwool got some nice features. I just installed some in some interior walls for soundproofing my media room. My house will have spray foam insulation in the attic though.

I recently had attic insulation put in my garage and did blown fiberglass insulation. In Wisconsin people typically add blown fiberglass insulation above the existing attic insulation. Most new builds have blown fiberglass insulation. Bat/rolls of insulation are typically used in sidewalls.

If you do bats/rolled insulation won't there be areas of heat/cool leakage in the attic in the gaps between the rolls? Blown fiberglass should provide a better thermal envelope.

I also don't know if you can get the R-value you need with bat/rolls of insulation in the attic.

Blown in is the way to go, just make sure the installers do the job correctly. It's the most economical way to get the most insulation.

Rockwool is more marketing than real advantage. There is some benefit in regards to fire resistance, but the reality is that if the insulation is burning, everything is already way far gone. Also, you get a better acoustical rating using resilient channel than by putting something in the wall cavity.

Spray foam is hit and miss - get a bad installer and you can have major health issues.

Most installers will use blown. I did mine myself a few years ago but I used rolled. Rolled is very easy to install yourself, but you need to get a tyvek suit, gloves and a good mask to keep from getting the fiberglass into your skin.

I had Lowes (or Home Depot - don't recall) deliver the rolls right to my house. Then my son and I ferried them all up into the attic. Finally we suited up and rolled them all out over the existing insulation but running 90 degrees turned from the existing stuff, so it covered the 2x4's in the attic. That effectively doubled the insulation and it only took a few hours to complete with two of us on a fairly sizeable attic.

Honestly it was easy to do but make sure your suit is well sealed as the fiberglass can be nasty. We had our windows replaced during that same Fall, but together with the added insulation they cut our winter heating bills in half.

I have sold insulation for 20+ years. I would get spray foam if you can afford it. I have sold fiberglass the most, but foam is the best.

Second option would be to get rolls and do it yourself as above. It is not difficult. But don’t buy from Home Depot or Lowe’s, find an insulation distributor in your area , they should beat the price easily. Cellulose/ blown in insulation will settle over time and decrease the insulation value.

Last edited:
I had blown in, which was nice, until you have to get up there.

Have you considered spray foam along the outer boundary?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom