Home games - preferred number of players (1 Viewer)

Cash game
9-8 boring
6-7 fun begins
4-5 that is what is all about
2-3... cry havoc and unleash dogs of war

NLHE - 7-8 players, 9 begrudgingly acceptable

Mixed - 5-6 players, 7 begrudgingly acceptable

Does this mean we should be building smaller sets then?
get out.gif

i like to start with 10 plus a dealer,
some people bust and leave early and that leaves us with 8
then after 1 am just the degens are left and the game gets
changed to dealers choice omaha no limit or holdem no limit , at this time we have prob 6 left and this game heads
to about 4 am on the good nights!

7 is just about perfect. Aim for 8 and usually someone is going to leave a bit early or a couple go on "extended break" and the action still remains solid with 5 or 6 players. Below 6 players for extended length of time gets pretty beat and the game turns to 7 card Stud or "get the hell off the property".

This question might be starting a tangent discussion, but....
Do many of you have a regular night you host (or play in) a cash game, AND also host a NLHE tournament? If so, are they generally the same players for both? Would you have a list of invitees for say the preferred 6-8max cash game and a different invite list for 8-10 tournament seating?

I'm hosting tournaments and getting ready to add a weekly cash game (mixed) and am trying to determine how to throttle back two players for a smaller cash game without offending someone.

Thanks,
- Doug

I hosted only cash... Always Friday and Saturday, 8 max with option to open second table.

Ran my game pretty much tourney only so far and a very occasional one at that (every couple of months or so). I liked getting 8-9 players in but that was in the old times. Now thinking of doing a mixed night with small tourney followed by cash, probably 6-8 players. That means I have to get a cash set but I don't mind buying new chips, it's part of the fun of the thing for me.

Players would be the same for both tourney and cash but that's more because of my limited list of invitees and the fact that it's more a friends' night than a serious poker league.

I don't really run tournaments, but I wouldn't consider having a different invite list if I did. I prefer to give those players who have came to my games more recently a heads up about my next game before I open it up to everyone else. Maybe just a day or two. It's kind of like a thank you for coming regularly.

My list is first come, first serve.

Have a home game that’s been running for several years now. It’s $1/$1 NLHE, up to $200 buy-in, group of about 13-14 regulars, sometimes we will fill in with friends of people, if we’re light on numbers. I open the invite to up to 10 players max, then start a waitlist. But we normally end up with 7-9 by the time poker night rolls around, at least lately, with people doing summer things (vacations, etc).
Thats ok with me as I don’t love a full 10 heads in a cash game. It seems too slow to me, but maybe I just like seeing flops and that’s harder with 10 vs say 7-8.

Curious what PCF’s prefer for your home cash game? Do you try to fill a table? Do you have a max number of players you’re trying get to? Do you deliberately limit the the number of players to “X”?

Just interested in what others do. Thanks!!
Tournament guy here. I love a full table, which for me is 9. It seems to bring the energy more! 8 is fine. I've been lucky to avoid 7 or 6. I'd probably cancel if I couldn't hit at least 6.

Have a home game that’s been running for several years now. It’s $1/$1 NLHE, up to $200 buy-in, group of about 13-14 regulars, sometimes we will fill in with friends of people, if we’re light on numbers. I open the invite to up to 10 players max, then start a waitlist. But we normally end up with 7-9 by the time poker night rolls around, at least lately, with people doing summer things (vacations, etc).
Thats ok with me as I don’t love a full 10 heads in a cash game. It seems too slow to me, but maybe I just like seeing flops and that’s harder with 10 vs say 7-8.

Curious what PCF’s prefer for your home cash game? Do you try to fill a table? Do you have a max number of players you’re trying get to? Do you deliberately limit the the number of players to “X”?

Just interested in what others do. Thanks!!
6 is perfect and 9 is max, 5 is okay and 4 is passing

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom