Home games - preferred number of players (1 Viewer)

Omar65

Two Pair
Reaction score
Have a home game that’s been running for several years now. It’s $1/$1 NLHE, up to $200 buy-in, group of about 13-14 regulars, sometimes we will fill in with friends of people, if we’re light on numbers. I open the invite to up to 10 players max, then start a waitlist. But we normally end up with 7-9 by the time poker night rolls around, at least lately, with people doing summer things (vacations, etc).
Thats ok with me as I don’t love a full 10 heads in a cash game. It seems too slow to me, but maybe I just like seeing flops and that’s harder with 10 vs say 7-8.

Curious what PCF’s prefer for your home cash game? Do you try to fill a table? Do you have a max number of players you’re trying get to? Do you deliberately limit the the number of players to “X”?

Just interested in what others do. Thanks!!

Cash games only…

9 - too many
8 - okay
7 - good
6 - perfect
5 - okay
4 - just enough (desperation)
Precisely my feelings. 6 to 7 is the perfect mix of good action and to the point that you're not folding 95% of the time.

This is for NLHE. For mixed games, 5 to 6 is perfect. You can't play most games with more than that.

8 =lush but slow, including a permanent, still playing, dealer. It absorbs early ejections.
7 =perfect (ideal if there is also a dedicated, non-playing dealer)
6 =good but vulnerable to early drop-outs
4=minimum, using a single blind.

I'm great with 6,7,or 8 and that's for mixed games or just holdem.

I prefer mixed games for cash.

8- too many, but good for when someone ejects early.
7- perfect.
6- nearly perfect.

agree 100%. I prefer 8 handed to start knowing we will lose a player or two before the end of the game. As long as stacks are deep I will gladly play down to heads-up.

my ideal game would be deep stack 5 handed mixed game all night.

I don’t like 8 because SOHE maxes out at 7…
We play it up to 8-handed.
After many complaints from almost everyone when 8-handed, we decided to just skip burn cards, and remix the muck for a river. In the extreme rare case nobody folds, we just split even and redeal the whole hand (happened twice in a few thousand hands so far).
We love our mixed games :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Our group prefer 6 handed it make the game better lesser fold , more action with unexpected suited cards but I only play 10c/20c to 50c/$1 kinda more of causal setting poker

Like most others... for cash, prefer 6-8, but even 8 is approaching "too many," in my opinion. I like 6 as a nice sweet spot for both NLHE and mixed circus.

7 - 8 is our sweet spot. Allows for the game to run pretty smoothly while handling people who leave earlier.

I'll always open my cash table to 10 and then start wait listing after that. However, I prefer 6 max personally, but I think most players at my place prefer 8. 8 is best for circus games imho.

From a game flow perspective I like 8, but who the players are matters much more to me. I would rather squeeze 11 great guys around the table than play with 8 hoodie and headphones guys.

Appreciate all the replies. Going to cap this next game at 8, even though that’s about 1 too many. See how that goes.
Ive got good guys all around so don’t mind having an extra or so. Again thanks for the feedback. Good to see all the thoughts. And, almost unanimous that a 10-handed cash game is more than the general preference.

8 - max for me when playing mixed games as you can only deal up to 5 cards.
7 - perfect for mixed games aa you can deal up to 6 cards
6 - dream spot if you can keep all players there for the full night.
5 - i start making up new games as i can deal up to 8 cards per person lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom