Home Game Rules (1 Viewer)

First off, I want to say that I don't think it's wise to ever play poker for "life changing money", regardless of the application of rules.

AH77, I get where you're coming from, you want your game to be fun, as do I. But in the end, PZ makes a good point, you want people to create good habits. If you're fine with rabbit hunting and small buy ins, those aren't huge infractions, but it is good to define each rule beforehand and make sure people adhere to said rules. And IF your rules stray a lot from the norm or RROP, it'll end up being a disservice to your players.

My goal, aside from having fun, is that anyone learning to play or playing regularly in my game can walk right into the poker room at the bellagio and feel comfortable knowing they can play poker.

I’ve forgotton the golden rule that the internet is a horrible place for a nuanced opinion lol. The sentence “home game stakes do not require such rules” is a massive oversimplification of what I was trying to say but I understand how you can get that from my post.

Listen, at the end of the day we are all on this forum because we love the minutiae and authenticity of the game. If it were up to me, I would have custom paulson chips, a professional dealer, and a designated floorman to clarify any disputes that were to come up. Realistically though I realize I am the minority, at least in my home game where everyone is fine playing with dice chips and old paper cards.

To be clear again, I think it would be crazy to play for any significant amount of money in a home game with random people if there were no strict guidelines in place. My original post was intended to describe the game that’s available to me specifically and is NOT how I would run a game if I were hosting a recurring game with a mixed group of people regardless of the stakes!

And to clarify further, the game I’m referring to is one that I attend not that I host so I guess I was basing my analysis from the point of view of someone who has had to make the game fit me and my standards rather than being able to impose my standards on someone else’s game.
Then send your host this way. We're a warm and welcoming group. :) We'd be happy to tell him just why rules are beneficial. He wouldn't be the first to ignore common rules just out of sloppy habits. I am fairly certain he won't be the last.

We have never had anyone come back and say "all my friends quit because I switched to universally accepted rules."

Then send your host this way. We're a warm and welcoming group. :) We'd be happy to tell him just why rules are beneficial. He wouldn't be the first to ignore common rules just out of sloppy habits. I am fairly certain he won't be the last.

We have never had anyone come back and say "all my friends quit because I switched to universally accepted rules."
The reason I actually joined this forum was in the hopes that something as small as higher quality chips would inspire the people I play with to raise the standards of the game all around. If nothing else, I was hoping that it would at least increase the frequency of the games but then covid happened so there goes that.

The main concern for me is that there is a game at all considering it was hard to get a game going even pre-covid so it’s probably why I am willing to be a little more lenient in terms of rules than maybe most people here that have regular recurring games.

The reason I actually joined this forum was in the hopes that something as small as higher quality chips would inspire the people I play with to raise the standards of the game all around. If nothing else, I was hoping that it would at least increase the frequency of the games but then covid happened so there goes that.

The main concern for me is that there is a game at all considering it was hard to get a game going even pre-covid so it’s probably why I am willing to be a little more lenient in terms of rules than maybe most people here that have regular recurring games.
1607033446569.png

The above letter was given to Mrs Zombie and I by one of our players. She used to host her own game. I poached the best of her players (including her) and her game eventually folded. Her game was fine, but they "winged" too many rules. Used dice chips too, which presents is it's own unique problem.

One of my players decided to start his own group. His invite list was better than 50% players from my game. Quite a few of them have told me they prefer my game. He cooks, the people are largely the same, but they prefer my game because they know our adherence to the rules.

If your game is struggling (ignoring COVID for the moment), it may be because new players don't trust a game that does not enforce standardized rules.

View attachment 585540

The above letter was given to Mrs Zombie and I by one of our players. She used to host her own game. I poached the best of her players (including her) and her game eventually folded. Her game was fine, but they "winged" too many rules. Used dice chips too, which presents is it's own unique problem.

One of my players decided to start his own group. His invite list was better than 50% players from my game. Quite a few of them have told me they prefer my game. He cooks, the people are largely the same, but they prefer my game because they know our adherence to the rules.

If your game is struggling (ignoring COVID for the moment), it may be because new players don't trust a game that does not enforce standardized rules.
The handwriting on that note looks exactly like the handwriting on the note you gave me, thanking me for the tickets to the show................

I really don’t like this, but maybe it’s the tournament player in me.
What I do know is that if I’ve put a bunch of chips into a multi-way pot, and I end up folding before the river (something that could happen when playing this deep) no way am I okay with the other two guys just chopping up my money.

This also promotes squeeze plays and collusion.

Its a rule that rewards cheating.

If it were up to me, I would have custom secure paulson chips, a professional dedicated dealer, and a designated floorman to clarify rule on any disputes that were to come up.
Add a readily-available set of comprehensive rules, and that sounds *exactly* like my low-stakes friendly home game (which everybody loves).

One extra rule everyone needs to consider - and I learned this rule the hard way ..........................

NO FEEDING THE DOG FROM THE ROLLER (dogfarts .................. dogfarts can cause real problems :vomit: )

to avoid hit and run, please announce you exit 1 hours before you leave.
I guess this is more of a recommendation? It's been covered in other threads, but I believe it's hard to use rules to avoid hit-n-runs. Folding for an hour is not expensive, just costs a few BBs and SBs.

-In a coinflip situation it is allowed to split the pot
I will cancel this one
Honest question: Is there an official rule against splitting pots in cashgames? I'm pretty sure I've seen on TV where someone (Helmuth, perhaps?) offered the villain 25% of the pot preflop in an AA vs KK situation.

I've always thought that in a cash game, the involved players are allowed to agree on such things. And if two players start doing it all the time, then you can lean on the "anti-collusion" rule.

In my cash games people are allowed to split, and after countless hours of poker it has happened only once: The dealer f:ed up, I consulted on how to proceed according to official rules, but the two involved players chose to chop.

tl;dr: I think the two rules above are more about player selection. If someone doesn't want to play poker, i.e. hits-n-runs or chops every other pot avoiding to gambool, then just don't invite them back.

It’s not that crazy for deals to be made in a cash game.

remember this hand between Laliberte and Benyamine?

“Let’s just play for what’s in the middle”. Benyamine was crushed by Guy and it was for all the money. Guy made him a deal knowing it was a lot of money for Ben.
Deal was made at the 5:00 mark.

best quote by Brunson, “this represents one day in his life, it represents your life”.

I guess this is more of a recommendation? It's been covered in other threads, but I believe it's hard to use rules to avoid hit-n-runs. Folding for an hour is not expensive, just costs a few BBs and SBs.

Honest question: Is there an official rule against splitting pots in cashgames? I'm pretty sure I've seen on TV where someone (Helmuth, perhaps?) offered the villain 25% of the pot preflop in an AA vs KK situation.

I've always thought that in a cash game, the involved players are allowed to agree on such things. And if two players start doing it all the time, then you can lean on the "anti-collusion" rule.

In my cash games people are allowed to split, and after countless hours of poker it has happened only once: The dealer f:ed up, I consulted on how to proceed according to official rules, but the two involved players chose to chop.

tl;dr: I think the two rules above are more about player selection. If someone doesn't want to play poker, i.e. hits-n-runs or chops every other pot avoiding to gambool, then just don't invite them back.
Im a Tournament player so this is probably more relivant to tournaments. (allegedly) Ive seen it online from time to time using play chips for god sake. (keep notes on who is with who and what they do when together)

But the situation you want to avoid is where two players force a opponent out of the pot, (Squeeze play) then chop the pot to take half of opponents chips with no risk.

Trust everyone - But still cut the cards.

But the situation you want to avoid is where two players force a opponent out of the pot, (Squeeze play) then chop the pot to take half of opponents chips with no risk.
I see what you mean, but my point is that there are already rules against collusion. If I saw this in my cash game I would call them out on it. And if two players really want to collude, even with anti-split rules it's easy enough for them to keep track and settle afterwards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom