Home Game Pet Peeves (1 Viewer)

I don't mind this as much as other things, but it does take a bit of suspense out of the game. I think it's lazy on the dealer's part but not as tilting as putting the turn on one side of the flop and the river on the other :banghead:

I agree, the pre-burn is probably just them making sure they follow all the steps properly not realizing they’re missing the whole point of the burn.

The other one is horrific

When I see things like this I ask the culprit not to do it correctly because of "poker etiquette". .. ease any tension that might otherwise pop up if you just tell someone "WTF, you're doing it wrong"
I’ve brought it up many times nicely before but they soon forget, either at the next game or even later that day.

When the player deals the flop and then directly burns one card and places the turn face down next to the flop.
My rule is that any card delt before it's prior round of betting will not be played.

Handled exactly like a turn or river card getting exposed befort the last person acts. IAW Robert's rules it goes back into the stub and gets reshuffled.

Only took a couple times enforcing and it's not happened again.

My rule is that any card delt before it's prior round of betting will not be played.

Handled exactly like a turn or river card getting exposed befort the last person acts. IAW Robert's rules it goes back into the stub and gets reshuffled.

Only took a couple times enforcing and it's not happened again.
Can I get an AMEN people

I consider myself pretty tolerant to most idiosyncrasies to be honest. I started hosting in August of 2019.

However, a couple things drive me up the wall. I run a self dealt game, and there is no dedicated dealer. That said, I've got a couple players who won't stop nagging about "big blind shuffle". That's the system I like, that's what I will always use. I still get players who whine and literally bitch about it. It's not complicated and I get agitated with players who keep complaining about it throughout the game.

The only other thing that makes me bonkers, is seeing some players abuse the chips. Rubbing them together and throwing them in pots rather disrespectfully. I've never said anything, but boy oh boy, a couple times, I've had to bite my tongue. I guess I feel like it's not their fault I throw out Paulsons to use. It's a tough one, and I don't want to start losing players as I'm trying to grow my game, but sooner or later, not sure I can remain quiet.

Otherwise, I consider myself pretty relaxed and easy going about all the other stuff.

Only pet peeve I can think of from my home game is I have one friend who always tries to make his own change out of the pot/blinds. I'm the dedicated dealer in our games and it drives me crazy.

In our 25c/50c game he'll say "call" and then throw a $1 in and just take the big blinds chips! Then I remind him not to do it, that I'll take care of change. He probably only does it one or two times in a game before my reminding him sticks. But the real pet peeve is that he somehow forgets this by next week's game :LOL: :laugh:

Only pet peeve I can think of from my home game is I have one friend who always tries to make his own change out of the pot/blinds. I'm the dedicated dealer in our games and it drives me crazy.

In our 25c/50c game he'll say "call" and then throw a $1 in and just take the big blinds chips! Then I remind him not to do it, that I'll take care of change. He probably only does it one or two times in a game before my reminding him sticks. But the real pet peeve is that he somehow forgets this by next week's game :LOL: :laugh:

Oh yes. I got one game I go to. Great bunch of guys but the de facto rule is make your own change whenever you bet.

It gets crazy. I’ve literally seen it make it around to me in 6th or 7th street and every body still and be like 2 large chips in the pot.

Good gravy at least wait until we see all the raises. I’d try to give an example but it’s so convoluted it makes my head hurt.

Oh yes. I got one game I go to. Great bunch of guys but the de facto rule is make your own change whenever you bet.

It gets crazy. I’ve literally seen it make it around to me in 6th or 7th street and every body still and be like 2 large chips in the pot.

Good gravy at least wait until we see all the raises. I’d try to give an example but it’s so convoluted it makes my head hurt.

This other group I play with always does this. Try to remind them to try not getting change until betting is complete and make change until the next street (self-dealt game). They make fun of me but then the next street in the hand they make change calling someone's raise, then another person 3bets and then all discuss how to call the remainder with the what they have out after the first call.

Also another pet-peeve but only with that same group is they do denominations of 10/25/50/100/500/1K for tourneys, all at the start, but only like 13 physical chips, and everyone needing to make change the very first hand. They do 2K starting stacks with first level at 10/20(20) BBA structure. I tried explaining not only about why to not have too many denominations for tournaments out at once, but how he can be more economical using 4 denominations and have the smallest be 5 so splitting pots and bets would be much easier.

The host just brushes off any of my recommendations; claims this he gets his suggestions from his closest poker acquaintances, who I'm pretty sure don't know a thing about structuring tournaments. And the host is a big tournament player to boot.

UPDATE: Forgot. People who his their bigger denominated chips behind their lower ones. Remember playing against this one guy who I thought won a lot, but figured he had many ups and downs because he didn't have any of the highest denominated chips. Turns out he had almost a whole barrel of them.

Last edited:
People fold and start playing with their cell phones. They never notice the next hand is being played and it is on them.

Ok, I know that all of us set up our games when he host to suit what we like best.

But what are things you see when you play other home games that just drive you nuts.

Whether it’s the set up or chips or players.

We all have one or two things that just bother us more than they probably should.
Bending cards
Splashing pot
Rabbit hunting

The Accountant: that guy keeping a mental note of everyone's rebuys and at the end of the game, wants to tell everyone how much someone's up/down

The Phone Guy: playing games or on a poker app on their phone and not paying attention to the action every hand: "ugh, oh sorry, is it on me?"

The Smoke Breaker: needs to leave and go outside every 10 hands to get a fix - usually after they've called a rotation of some game no one else likes

The Bad Beat Story Teller: bonus points if the story is more then 10yrs old and/or involves not a single person anyone at the table knows

The Card Bender/Chip Masher: grrrr, single warning only

The Poker Pro: strangely, this guy works 40hrs as a truck driver but he's really a poker pro, just listen to him

Walter Mitty: He's been everywhere, seen everything, done everything, and is better at whatever you're talking about than anyone else in the game

My home game is luckily devoid of most of these characters these days, but they've all been there at one point or another.

I consider myself pretty tolerant to most idiosyncrasies to be honest. I started hosting in August of 2019.

However, a couple things drive me up the wall. I run a self dealt game, and there is no dedicated dealer. That said, I've got a couple players who won't stop nagging about "big blind shuffle". That's the system I like, that's what I will always use. I still get players who whine and literally bitch about it. It's not complicated and I get agitated with players who keep complaining about it throughout the game.

The only other thing that makes me bonkers, is seeing some players abuse the chips. Rubbing them together and throwing them in pots rather disrespectfully. I've never said anything, but boy oh boy, a couple times, I've had to bite my tongue. I guess I feel like it's not their fault I throw out Paulsons to use. It's a tough one, and I don't want to start losing players as I'm trying to grow my game, but sooner or later, not sure I can remain quiet.

Otherwise, I consider myself pretty relaxed and easy going about all the other stuff.
You have to take a stand otherwise it will become commonplace and more difficult to correct over time. You are being very generous by hosting with Paulsons, the least you could ask for in return is for the equipment to be treated with the respect it deserves. This isn't a big ask!

If your players are not understanding, they shouldn't be in your game with high quality equipment. They can go find a game with plastic or composite chips. It's really that simple, and everyone will understand common poker etiquette, there's no risk of losing players except the one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom