Home Game Novelties (1 Viewer)

carl91

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Are there any novelties you implement into your home games to mix things up a bit? I can't thing of any great ideas right now, but maybe something like a bonus perk for last game's winner? Fun/silly penalties for certain things? The '72o' game. Interested to hear your ideas.

We had a sippy cup if you spilled. And then there was the blasters shirt. “Blasters” was a mock soccer team that was used to test HP Iron-on inkjet paper. The logo, maybe 6x6” was plastered over every inch of this small-sized tee shirt. We would clean up spills with it like a rag and keep it under the sink. It was crunchy. But if your party foul was particularly egregious… for example, breaking a 40oz at the table… you had to wear the shirt.

Alright, alright, next home game is coming up. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I've thought of a few more ideas but not sure how great they are. I like the idea of last game's winner starting with the button but that's not particularly exciting. Here are some more out there ideas.

- Last game's winner gets a "magic" button. If they win a pot they get to keep the button, punishing the players to their direct left. As I type this out I realise it's probably going to be too confusing to implement though if the button is flying across the table constantly.
- Last game's winner gets bubble protection. i.e. if 2 places are paid, and they come directly 3rd they get their buy-in back. We do re-entries so I might make this rule only apply if last game's winner bubbles on their 1st bullet only.
- Last game's winner gets a bounty on their head. Knock them out, you win the bounty. If the same player wins back to back they keep the bounty.
- A '72o' game where if you win any pot POST-FLOP with 72o and show the table you win a 5K chip (it's 20K starting stack).

I'd appreciate any thoughts/feedback on these ideas.

Last game's winner gets a bounty on their head

this is the only "last game's winner" option that makes any sense. nobody should start a tournament with any sort of unmatchable advantage.

My micro stakes games has a chair fee of one $5 lotto scratch off. Everyone brings one. The highest hand of the night to go to showdown and lose gets the scratch offs. Kinda like a bad beat jackpot.

That's awesome, although I'd scratch them off when I got home. A friend of mine gave out a few tickets for a christmas present and the guy he gave them to won $5000 on a $20 ticket. He felt obligated to give the other guy part of it...

That's awesome, although I'd scratch them off when I got home. A friend of mine gave out a few tickets for a christmas present and the guy he gave them to won $5000 on a $20 ticket. He felt obligated to give the other guy part of it...
That's part of the mystery. We have had people get nothing out of it. We have also had a person get $25000 out of it. You never know.

I will sometimes use "Treat Yo Self" poker chips. if a player uses one of these chips then can call whatever game they want. This is a one time use, then you lose the chip.

I've been planning to do the following, someday...

1. Get some custom novelty chips (saying something like "Cow's Game Champion", "Certified FTO Master", "Certificate of Aggressiveness")
  2. Every time someone buys in to the cash game, they get a bounty token.
  3. Ever time someone gets busted, the winner gets all their bounty tokens.
  4. Person with the most tokens at the end of the night gets a novelty chip.
I figure it's low-key, but sortof fun! And it gives people something nice to remember the night with.

We had a sippy cup if you spilled. And then there was the blasters shirt. “Blasters” was a mock soccer team that was used to test HP Iron-on inkjet paper. The logo, maybe 6x6” was plastered over every inch of this small-sized tee shirt. We would clean up spills with it like a rag and keep it under the sink. It was crunchy. But if your party foul was particularly egregious… for example, breaking a 40oz at the table… you had to wear the shirt.
Buying a sippy cup for the next game...

I've been planning to do the following, someday...

1. Get some custom novelty chips (saying something like "Cow's Game Champion", "Certified FTO Master", "Certificate of Aggressiveness")
  2. Every time someone buys in to the cash game, they get a bounty token.
  3. Ever time someone gets busted, the winner gets all their bounty tokens.
  4. Person with the most tokens at the end of the night gets a novelty chip.
I figure it's low-key, but sortof fun! And it gives people something nice to remember the night with.
I like this bounty tokens concept where the player with the most bounty tokens wins a prize. I was thinking that last games winner starts with 2x bounty tokens as a small reward but nothing too advantageous.

Pretty much covers all situations...
IMG_20220530_000900.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom