Home game lighting (1 Viewer)

slots

Sitting Out
Supporter
Reaction score
So after trying long and hard different lighting solutions for the home game, buying a LED floor lamp, and moving other lamps around I finally found a cheap and effective solution on Amazon for $100.

2 lighting units, 2 tripods and boxes and 2 bulbs that throw off a huge amount of soft light for a bargain $100 bucks!

It took me about 5 minutes to unpack and put together these lights. And when I flip the switch its bam we got light! No more mistaking the purple $500 cincy secondaries with the $100 black chips. Fast and effective solution, the lights are light weight, portable and can be moved around and adjusted easily. Highly recommended.

it actually is ok my phone makes it look hot but its actually easy on the eyes

theres a cover that gives over the bulbs housing and it screens down glare your just left with light and its not hot white

If it becomes too much for the players looking directly into the lights, can you lower the tripods and bounce them off the white ceiling?

I'm looking for lighting for the garage. I was thinking some LED strips but maybe this would work better.

This reminds me of the lights used on the Branch Davidian complex in Waco Texas. In my random googling I came across this which is truly amazing.

I went old school. Chances are high I'll regret it.

s-l1600.jpg

I went old school, with a handing light on my poker table, and have no regrets. However, my table is an octagon. If I had an oval, I'd be tempted to do what I did for my incoming pool table. I installed a 4 foot, oval shaped, flush mount LED light, with a dimmer switch. At full power, I can count the hairs on a knat's ass. Yes, it hums with the dimmer. I've yet to find a light/dimmer combo that didn't, thought it's possible one does exist. I have the correct dimmer for LED and incandescent lighting. However, I'm not sure the "white" LED light won't ruin the atmposhere for certain poker games. Heck, it might make my pool table look like an EPSN 9 ball tournament, but I figured it was wreath a try, so we'll see.

The other aspect of correct lighting is that usually floor or desk level lighting is necessary to balance things out. Not always easy to do, or necessarily nice looking, when looking to light up a poker or pool table. Table lamps, or floor lamps, take up real estate. I opted instead for the hanging lamp over the poker table, the flush mount for the pool table (so I I could still see the TV), then I also installed a scone light on the wall. Yes, you have to cut some holes and run some wires and switches, but it pays off in the end.

What if you were bounce those lights off the ceiling?

So in the end thats what I did - I bounced them off the ceiling and its perfect. The ambient light reflecting off the ceiling is enough to lift all the colors up off the chips and cover the shadows on the felt. Heres how I tilt them now- still looks hot in the photo but my phone camera cant adjust it properly but the placement is correct If you need more light you cant do much better for a 100 bucks than these if you dont have the ability to hang a large unit above the table.

IMG_6133.jpeg

So in the end thats what I did - I bounced them off the ceiling and its perfect. The ambient light reflecting off the ceiling is enough to lift all the colors up off the chips and cover the shadows on the felt. Heres how I tilt them now- still looks hot in the photo but my phone camera cant adjust it properly but the placement is correct If you need more light you cant do much better for a 100 bucks than these if you dont have the ability to hang a large unit above the table.

View attachment 138900
Awesome, but my wife would kill me.

You can try angling the lights towards the center of the ceiling. That way you still get good illumination without the bursting effect of shining the lights in the corner walls.

Attachments

• A0252320-8B4D-4FDC-BD1C-0655A3261E5E.jpeg
    A0252320-8B4D-4FDC-BD1C-0655A3261E5E.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 126
I've got almost a dozen these in my garage and my shops. You can hang them or surface mount them.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/linkable-shop-light-honeywell-led/prod20590154.ip?xid=plp:product:1:4

They are awesome for the price....they would be awesome for twice the price. No more bulbs to change ever. We had -15 actual temps here a couple weeks ago and three of these lights are in an unheated area of the shop and functioned flawlessly. I have a 24x30 attached garage and have 2 in there and see really no need for anymore.

I'm in the middle of a basement remodel and have one installed temporarily in an area where I set up my poker table and I love it. It's bright white just like @Jeff has in his garage. I've never noticed any card glare on my plastic cards (djsign, copags, davinci, prestige, modiano, piatnik.....)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom