Home Game - incessant limping - how to combat? (1 Viewer)

My advice would be for you to read Doyle Brunson’s Super System. Guaranteed to make a difference in your play and outcome.
Doyle’s book was a game changer when it came out a few decades ago but it’s pretty outdated these days with everything we’ve learned about the game since then.

For those interested in a good read (and a great correlating podcast), I HIGHLY recommend checking out Andrew “Thinking Poker” Brokos:

7EF4EE75-03B5-4B1D-B020-454E84A958CA.jpeg

Doyle’s book was a game changer when it came out a few decades ago but it’s pretty outdated these days with everything we’ve learned about the game since then.

For those interested in a good read (and a great correlating podcast), I HIGHLY recommend checking out Andrew “Thinking Poker” Brokos:

View attachment 877295
Thanks for the recommendation on this, I just ordered it and I’m looking forward to reading this. I liked the mathematics of poker… but even with graduate degrees in engineering I can’t say it was an easy evening read.

Thanks for the recommendation on this, I just ordered it and I’m looking forward to reading this. I liked the mathematics of poker… but even with graduate degrees in engineering I can’t say it was an easy evening read.
I couldn’t get through mathematics of poker myself at all. Brokos is way more relatable.

make them pay for seeing cards. evaluate what their range is and if they want to see cards, bomb that pot with chips so it hurts to limp.
I agree to a variation of this...I continued to raise my stakes until I found out the sweet spot for all my players. It didn't take much, but I used to play $0.25/$0.50. Moved to $0.50/$1.00....still everyone called most preflops. We now play $1/$2 and I have a "real" game...a handful of players complained that the stakes got too high, but I simply said if you don't care for them, don't come. Nothing sucks worse than a game that 90% of players are in pre-flop EVERY hand....

The best advice I can give a beginner is to really go elsewhere for poker strategy advice. Lots of knowledge around these parts regarding poker chips, poker strategy not so much.

2nd best advice would be to raise aggressively against the limpers pre, and note their tendencies post. If sticky, value the shit out of them. If they are fit/fold, stab when the board hits your range (broadways etc). Bluff and call less than you think you should multi-way. They aren’t giving away that much EV pre as you might think, so you can easily play a losing strategy if you’re unfamiliar with multi-way concepts.

View attachment 877295
Thanks for this! Added to my Amazon cart!

I play in a monthly low stakes home game tournament, usually around 15 players, 7 or 8 per table.

I find that nearly everybody limps in every hand, they could have 5-6s, 10-J, or Q-A, it doesn't matter. If someone raises it usually means AA or KK.

Suggestions on a strategy here? With so many in the hand, chances are that someone will have something decent.

Do I play tighter? Looser? Raise more? Limp along with them? Any suggestions appreciated!

(I am basically a beginner, so keep it simple for me.) :LOL: :laugh:

Edit: I did just find this thread which I am finding very helpful!
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/how-to-beat-a-pretty-soft-and-slow-tournament-game.74466/
OK, so here is the simple version:

****DO THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT EVERYBODY ELSE IS DOING***

That's it.

a short explanation:
-early in the tournament, you will see that everybody is limping. They are hoping to "hit a hand" and double up. Don't get sucked in to this. What they are actually doing is bleeding away chips. They don't miss it right now, because they have plenty. Blinds are low....stacks are well distributed. Yes, some will double up. Everybody is doing it, you should too, right? NO! Wait until you have a hand....big pairs...AK, suited broadways....then raise! Raise an amount that you will get everybody to fold but one or two other opponents. You will have to play around with this amount to get it right. DO NOT LIMP.

-Later in the tournament, people will stop doing this. Stacks get smaller compared to the blinds and the unlucky donks have gone home. People start wanting to make the money, so they tighten up. You can now start to open up your range a little bit and start raising small with speculative hands. You have been playing tight all night and even the worst players will pick up on this. You start raising first in and they will just assume you have it. You can pick up many blinds uncontested by raising preflop, then betting the flop. DO NOT LIMP.

-Also, once you get to about 10 bb's, just shove any hand you want to play. It's more complicated than this to do correctly, but it's a good starting point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom