Home Game "Fee"? (1 Viewer)

Legend5555

Full House
Reaction score
For those that run a home cash game, do you have a house/food "fee"? If so, how much? Or do your players like to chip in?

Last edited:
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

1563976118257.gif

For those that run a home cash game, do you have a house fee? If so, how much and what does it pay for? Does the size of the stakes affect your fee?

I'm most states, if you take no fees and your house makes no money from the game, it's legal, but if you take any fee or money from the game, you are breaking the law, making you and your players vulnerable.

I'm most states, if you take no fees and your house makes no money from the game, it's legal, but if you take any fee or money from the game, you are breaking the law, making you and your players vulnerable.
Aka they can take anything they see that can be connected to the illegal activity (money, chips, table, chairs... and gawd I hope not but maybe even a hotdog roller)

I have a drink jar. Players will put money in, to help keep the fridge stocked with refreshments, and some of my players will leave a tip after our session is over but no seat/house/game fee.

My games are all true home games. Dinner + snacks for Saturday games, just snacks for week-day games. No fee / no rake / no seat or door charge. Players are my guests. I would no more charge for the game than I would ask my family to pay for the privilege of having Christmas dinner with us.

That being said, the players do chip in. Some bring drinks or snacks to the game. A couple bring scratch-off tickets as pot sweeteners. Lots of folk leave chips for the house. Even so, the cost of the games runs in excess of a $1,000/yr. Which is fine by me - We can afford to treat our guests well.

DrStrange

Well aware. As I'm sure many here are. I knew what I was asking when I did this. I have edited the OP a bit though if my asking this is taboo.

I only ask because I've seen several posts about something similar whether it is an amount added to a high hand or an end league tournament prize pool.

Last edited:
I just ask everyone to bring what they would like to drink and ask everyone to bring a side dish or a bag of chips. I do offer some beer (Bud Light and some whiskey, but not much is taken from that).

For our rotating-host league tournaments (two events per date, roughly 12 noon to midnight), we add a $10/person hospitality charge which goes to the host to help offset the cost of served-all-day snacks, non-alcoholic beverages, plus a formal dinner/dessert served during the break between tournaments.

We initially relied on just donations or bring-a-dish options (many, many years ago), but eventually settled on this method to ensure that the hosts don't ever get stuck with paying for food/drink expenses.

For my game, which is less than 20 players, I'd rather spend $20-30 on wings, chips and dip myself. All part of being a host imo, but I also only host 6-8 games a year. Players will bring dishes sometimes. That's how I got hooked on spinach dip of all things.

When I host, I host.

Life’s too short to worry about a bag of chips or a beer

Same here. I let players know what’s available for food and drink, and let them know they are more than welcome to bring other items. But I also make it a point to tell them it’s completely optional.

I'm from South Louisiana, cooking is what we do. When I host a game, we have a ton of food, but players do bring their own drinks. It is not uncommon for our players to come over and receive a full dinner (we all grew up together for the most part), but a lot of the times, we have simple things like, meatballs and smoked sausage, chicken salad sandwiches, rotel dip, chips, homemade chicken wings, and deviled eggs. Then there's also the occasional homemade burger night.

I'm from South Louisiana, cooking is what we do. When I host a game, we have a ton of food, but players do bring their own drinks. It is not uncommon for our players to come over and receive a full dinner (we all grew up together for the most part), but a lot of the times, we have simple things like, meatballs and smoked sausage, chicken salad sandwiches, rotel dip, chips, homemade chicken wings, and deviled eggs. Then there's also the occasional homemade burger night.
I need to make my way down to one of these games! lol

Nothing. I keep random beer brought by players for poker tonight's for free, and do a five bucks per person once and a while for some new decks of cards. I give them the old worn decks if they want them.

I used to not charge anything and have the game be BYOB and if people wanted pizza we would chip in. But it got to be a pain.

Other games that most of my players have played in went to taking $1-2 per hand and provide all the food and drinks. So when I started hosting on a much more regular basis I went with this and take $1/hand that reaches $30 to cover dinner, snacks, beer, booze. I stop collecting at midnight when the High Hand is paid out. Players love that they don’t need to worry about stopping at the store to get beer or food before the game now.

Hell, some are so lazy that they don’t even bother going to the bank to get money. They send me PayPal or Venmo for chips instead.

Ultimately, it is up to what the players want to do. If the host is providing all of the food and beverages, I will throw some money their way to help offset the costs. I would rather everyone chip in with either a side dish, or money to help defray costs (even though it won't profit the host). This way, they are able to host more games. If it costs the host $100 each time they host, there will be less poker games, at least that is my experience with the groups I play with.

Weekly league games I don't provide anything except for some light snacks, brownies/cookies/etc
Weekend tourneys I throw out a tub of non-alcoholic drinks and much more food & a few other players occasionally bring food/snacks.
I have a good variety of bottles and enjoy doing shots so those are included from time to time.
Never have charged anyone anything. I agree with DrStrange above, I feel fortunate to be able to host my guests.

When I started hosting games I would supply drinks and snacks (like pizza). However, as time has gone on I don't do that anymore. The fridge will always have a couple of beers, soft drinks, and waters.

But besides me there is only one other guy that hosts a game. So there is zero reciprocity so while I enjoy having people over to play I am stopped providing goodies since it was always on my dime. And nobody seems to mind and they all bring there own drinks now. And I'd actually rather host anyway since none of the guys that play here have a poker table. Spoiled maybe but playing on the kitchen table just isn't as good.

I have thought about having the guys pitch in or raking something for food and drink, but then I would be obligated to have something every week and that is not something I want to have to worry about.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom