Home Game Dealing- Without a dedicated dealer (1 Viewer)

4SUMERZ

Flush
Reaction score
There is a thread on how players deal the cards, right, left, etc., but my question is how do home games make the deal fair so no one has an advantage; seeing the bottom card etc. etc.

I know that at one of the home game that I play at, the dealers must use a card guard to protect the bottom card integrity.
Another game that I frequent, the dealer must get the deck cut by the player sitting behind him, prior to dealing the cards. This game however does not use a card guard, so the bottom card integrity is at potential risk of being seen.

What is the rule of card dealing at your home games?

Our local charity game started to where when the deal comes to you, you deal the hand and sit out and the next hand you are the button and last to act. Works pretty well. Cut card is used so you can't see the bottom card.

Same as the Friendly Donkey,

I recently joined a Poker Group. We meet twice a month.

We employ 2 decks per table...a card guard...and a cut from the player immediately behind the button.

For our games, we just have the small blind deal with shuffling the next deck. This works well for our group. The game runs smooth.

I have recently also started up a home game. I employ these same procedures and all persons are happy at the end.

We usually have a few guys that handle dealing..cause we have some that just aren't good at shuffling or just don't want to do it. Our table is also oval...so its easier with the "dealers" to sit middle of table somewhere. We also usually only play with one deck. We tried two but decks kept getting accidentally mixed (especially as more alcohol gets introduced throughout the evening...lol).

Couple of things we do are:
1. Deck is always cut by person to right of dealer
2. Always use a cut card to cover the bottom of the deck...some guys have a bad tendency to show the bottom card if you don't.

Always use a bottom card.
When I am dealing, I:
Cap my cards with a chip as soon as they are dealt, and
Cap the deck/stub when it is not in my hand with a different denom chip when it is not in my hand.
Both of these procedures help eliminated mistakes and misunderstandings when I am dealing.
Also, don't shuffle the stub during the Play of the hand!
Angle the deck slightly downward and toward the center of the table to prevent flashing the cards coming off the stub.

I like the shuffle behind system. 2 decks. When hand is over, dealer passes button, gathers up the cards from his deal, shuffles the cards and passes the deck with the cut card on top to current small blind. Small blind, now dealer, cuts cards and deals. Takes a little getting used to, but works smoothly, leads to more poker, and even if you're not a great shuffler, there's not much attention on you.

We shuffle behind, but.... After the hand is played the dealer gathers the cards, shuffles, then offers a cut to his right. The cut cards are then passed to the next player "on deck" to deal. This has worked well for us, and makes whoever is dealer, never shuffles or cuts their own deal. Always using a cut card to protect the bottom.

Last edited:
No reason to not have a cut card. They're like a buck each.

2 Decks, each with a cut card.
I deal every hand, with BB shuffling every time. This works well as BB is last to act preflop, giving them time to shuffle. Also, serves as a good reminder that they are BB. Every time I am BB, I give the deal to someone (I work backwards around the table for who takes my shuffle, could be random too). At start of new hand, I give old deck to BB, SB gives me the shuffled deck and I cut onto a cut card and deal again. Works perfect.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom