Home Game Bad beat (1 Viewer)

GreyPadwan

High Hand
Reaction score
I am starting a bad beat jackpot at my game.
We re doing 5$ per game buy in. Progressive.
Starting off going to make it AAAKK to Quads (to build the progressive. Don't want someone to win first week!)
Trying to decide the breakdown of when to drop the qualifier and what split to do payout.

Thinking 50% to loser 25% to winner and 25% back to the jackpot.
At 200 start dropping the qualifier.

Also planning to limit games you can win on.
No split pot games.

What do you do at your games? Or think?

Do the same players play in your game week to week? If you have a mix, would the regulars be unhappy if a non-regular shows up one night and wins it?

I don't do a jackpot that carries over to another game simply because I don't want to track it... but my concern above plays in to it a little.

I do a high hand jackpot where the highest hand of the night gets paid out at the end of the night. Each player buys in for $5 at the start of the night if they choose. Only the participating players are eligible to win the jackpot.

Do the same players play in your game week to week? If you have a mix, would the regulars be unhappy if a non-regular shows up one night and wins it?

I don't do a jackpot that carries over to another game simply because I don't want to track it... but my concern above plays in to it a little.

I do a high hand jackpot where the highest hand of the night gets paid out at the end of the night. Each player buys in for $5 at the start of the night if they choose. Only the participating players are eligible to win the jackpot.
I have talked to all the regulars and they are cool with it. We get a few new players but they have been fish mostly.

I take $1/pot for every pot over $10 to the bad beat jackpot. Keep separate drops for circus and NLHE. 50% to loser, 25% to winner and 25% table share.

NLHE starts at quads beaten and drops every $200 the pot increases.

Circus is quads beaten.

And as for tracking it. It's going to be in cash, so it will be in a separate envelope. (low tech here!) I will seal it after every game and have one of the regulars sign the seal to keep it honest

I take $1/pot for every pot over $10 to the bad beat jackpot. Keep separate drops for circus and NLHE. 50% to loser, 25% to winner and 25% table share.

NLHE starts at quads beaten and drops every $200 the pot increases.

Circus is quads beaten.
I don't want to do a rake style as that's too much to keep track of.

I am starting a bad beat jackpot at my game.
We re doing 5$ per game buy in.
If this is how you are doing it, follow my bad beat. Everyone playing brings a $5 lotto scratch off ticket. The worst hand to lose that night gets the lotto tickets. Half of the time they get nothing, but twice now the total of the winning tickets totalled over $5000! If you want to stay with $5 for your seat at the table for it, go this route.

I personally would prefer a high hand jackpot for each night over a progressive bad beat jackpot since everyone would have an equal chance to win that, whereas I'd be upset if I had to miss a night and I've been paying into the progressive for weeks and some newbie hits it.

However, I would prefer keeping all money on the table even more. I'm fine with straddling, multiple straddles, bomb pots, etc. but anything taking money off the table that involves luck to win is not enjoyable for me. Maybe it's because I'm insanely unlucky in general :/

EDIT: Also, I don't like the 25% going back into the jackpot. Pay that out to the whole table and just start the jackpot again with a reset hand qualifier. The chances of it hitting that soon again are pretty unlikely.

I personally would prefer a high hand jackpot for each night over a progressive bad beat jackpot since everyone would have an equal chance to win that, whereas I'd be upset if I had to miss a night and I've been paying into the progressive for weeks and some newbie hits it.

However, I would prefer keeping all money on the table even more. I'm fine with straddling, multiple straddles, bomb pots, etc. but anything taking money off the table that involves luck to win is not enjoyable for me. Maybe it's because I'm insanely unlucky in general :/
Honestly, one of my biggest reasons for wanting to add it is to increase attendance!

Honestly, one of my biggest reasons for wanting to add it is to increase attendance!
If you've spoken to your group and they are all on board and this is making them want to come to more games, then I'd say it's a good idea for your group. Worst case scenario, you can try it out and see how it goes, and cancel it later if it's not working. Keep in mind though, that with any progressive jackpot scenarios, you are holding onto money that is technically not yours. This can sometimes lead to issues (for example, you can't host for a while for whatever reason and you have hundreds of dollars sitting in the jackpot - what happens to that money? Who gets a piece of it and how much if you have to split it up? etc.)

EDIT: And make sure to be completely transparent in how much is in the jackpot after each session so all players know.

for example, you can't host for a while for whatever reason and you have hundreds of dollars sitting in the jackpot - what happens to that money?
I've got $2,000 in bad beat money that sat in the box for 18 months during Covid. Not a single person asked about it. I average $100/table in bad beat money a night from circus and $150-$200 from NLHE. No one has ever chirped about missing it when it hits or that I hold on to it.

If you've spoken to your group and they are all on board and this is making them want to come to more games, then I'd say it's a good idea for your group. Worst case scenario, you can try it out and see how it goes, and cancel it later if it's not working. Keep in mind though, that with any progressive jackpot scenarios, you are holding onto money that is technically not yours. This can sometimes lead to issues (for example, you can't host for a while for whatever reason and you have hundreds of dollars sitting in the jackpot - what happens to that money? Who gets a piece of it and how much if you have to split it up? etc.)

EDIT: And make sure to be completely transparent in how much is in the jackpot after each session so all players know.
I plan to put the jackpot in an envelope, sealing it and having another player sign the seal

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom