Home 7 Card Stud Chip Count? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I'll apologize now. I'm sure this has been asked before and I'm probably asking in the wrong place but I did do a search and still could use some help. I'm not a serious poker player like most of you. We just do some home rules 4-6 mixed games stuff with 15 year old poker chips. I do like collecting chips but that's just a side note. I've been looking into getting a new set or sets of chips and I'm struggling with what denomination and how many of each. I'm thinking of getting two sets. Probably Majestic 600pc and Tiki Kings 300pc. We mostly play 7 card stud and usually just divide out a bunch of chips from my old 500 piece set and play until we are tired and winner gets bragging rights. But I was thinking of making it more structured and doing a buy in of $5-$10, winner takes all. So I don't need the chips to equal the buy in as winner gets it all. I see some starting home tournament Texas stacks only being a small amount of chips. I think in 7 card stud you would run out pretty fast as everyone puts in an ante. I was thinking for the 600pc set $1=150, $5=150, $25=150, $100=100, $500=50, and the 300pc set $1=75, $5=75, $25=75, $100=50, $500=25. But that is just a guess and I'm still not sure what to use as starting stacks. I want there to be enough chips but don't want the table full either. And the goal isn't so much to knock people out as it is just to be the leader when we decide to quit. It's just a friendly game with my in laws. Thanks!!

Backing up, why are you getting two sets? Do you want a cash set and then a tournament set? I think you're not getting much response because people are a bit confused (tilted) by the structure of your game.

Backing up, why are you getting two sets? Do you want a cash set and then a tournament set? I think you're not getting much response because people are a bit confused (tilted) by the structure of your game.

Totally understand. I'm old school hobby playing. I know everyone has gotten really serious about poker and structure but we just play for fun. No tournaments. I don't mind using higher denomination chips but it's just for fun. I didn't even understand blinds until two days ago. We always just used an ante and I've never played texas holdem. It's usually 7 card stud or 5 card draw, ante of $1 chip, bets of $1-$5 chip, and high raises of $25 chips. Not equal to real money. Either no money or $5 or $10 entry. I know for serious people I'm silly but again, it's just my in laws. And having two sets is just because I really like chips and can't help myself to have more than one set. One smaller set for when just my wife and I play and larger one when we have guests. I'm leaning to 200-300 Dunes china clays and 500-600 Majestics. I know I'm a noob but I thought people on here that have been doing it better than me might having some insight on what is needed and starting stacks. Thanks!

Umm no tournament but “not equal to real money” and winner takes all? o_O

Sounds like a tournament to me.

Sorry I picture tournament as several tables with 10+ people and 4+ hours of play. I'm talking about 4 people playing for 2 hours and $20 up for grabs.

Sorry I picture tournament as several tables with 10+ people and 4+ hours of play. I'm talking about 4 people playing for 2 hours and $20 up for grabs.

You realize that you can have a tournament with only 2 players right?

Edit: you are still describing tournament play

If $10-$15 buy-in with winner-takes-all is your goal, then it sounds like you're trying to put together a tournament set, likely for a single table of 10 players max. That means having equal starting stacks for everybody, an escalating blind structure, and some desired time frame for tournament completion.

Assuming 7 players (recommended maximum for Stud games), then we just need to know desired event duration to build everything else.

The chip set itself doesn't need to be overly complex, and antes can be handled in such a way that small denominations are not necessary (antes for all players can be posted each hand by a single player, rotating around the table). Thus, no T1 chips are needed.

400 total chips is plenty for up to 10 players, each with a 10/10/7/x starting stack, which is anywhere from T1000 to T6000 (depending on the number of T500 chips included)
:
100 x T5
100 x T25
100 x T100 (includes 30x for T5/T25 color-ups)
100 x T500 (includes chips for re-buys and/or larger starting stacks)
----------------
400 chips

A blind structure with either 5/10 or 10/20 starting blinds (and increasing either 33% or 50% each level) will produce an event that lasts anywhere from 2.5 hours (T1000, 10/20, 15-minute levels) up to 6 hours (T6000, T5/10, 20-minute levels) or longer, and anywhere in-between.

Ok well I'm new. That's why I'm hear asking for advice. Back when I was playing 20 years ago, no one I know used the term tournament for 2 people playing cards. It was just "playing poker".

Yeah the part that is confusing is if you are buying in (or even free) for a particular amount that doesn't necessarily correlate to the chip stack, and only one or two people win money (if there is any) depending on finishing place, then it's a tournament.

It sounds like you want a 4 player tournament set that mimics real-ish stakes. 1 ante, 1-25 spread limit. (spread limit is a min/max bet: 1 is the minimum bet and 25 is the maximum bet).

How much "money" does each person usually start out?

If the goal is for bragging rights and the "winner" takes the pot based on chip count, that seems fine. But it doesn't' make too much sense to have such a huge denomination spread of $1 and $500 chips in play if the blinds/antes never increase and the goal is not to knock players out.

Ok well I'm new. That's why I'm hear asking for advice. Back when I was playing 20 years ago, no one I know used the term tournament for 2 people playing cards. It was just "playing poker".

It’s not about “2 people playing poker”, it’s about how the game is structured. If you’re playing for a fixed dollar amount and only a limited amount of players win money, that is more in line with tournament play.

If $10-$15 buy-in with winner-takes-all is your goal, then it sounds like you're trying to put together a tournament set, likely for a single table of 10 players max. That means having equal starting stacks for everybody, an escalating blind structure, and some desired time frame for tournament completion.

Assuming 7 players (recommended maximum for Stud games), then we just need to know desired event duration to build everything else.

The chip set itself doesn't need to be overly complex, and antes can be handled in such a way that small denominations are not necessary (antes for all players can be posted each hand by a single player, rotating around the table). Thus, no T1 chips are needed.

400 total chips is plenty for up to 10 players, each with a 10/10/7/x starting stack, which is anywhere from T1000 to T6000 (depending on the number of T500 chips included)
:
100 x T5
100 x T25
----------------
400 chips

A blind structure with either 5/10 or 10/20 starting blinds (and increasing either 33% or 50% each level) will produce an event that lasts anywhere from 2.5 hours (T1000, 10/20, 15-minute levels) up to 6 hours (T6000, T5/10, 20-minute levels) or longer, and anywhere in-between.

Thank you. A little more complicated that I was looking for. I'm not looking to change the ante or blinds on a time frame. Just more complicated than I think the group is ready for. And players would be 2-6 max. And duration is just how long till everyone gets tired of playing. Probably 2-3 hours. I get this isn't how most of the people on here play and it's why I was having a hard time putting together numbers as most suggestions I've seen were based on escalating blinds and timed events with larger number of people. I was hoping someone on here played a more casual basis. Thanks.

Yeah the part that is confusing is if you are buying in (or even free) for a particular amount that doesn't necessarily correlate to the chip stack, and only one or two people win money (if there is any) depending on finishing place, then it's a tournament.

It sounds like you want a 4 player tournament set that mimics real-ish stakes. 1 ante, 1-25 spread limit. (spread limit is a min/max bet: 1 is the minimum bet and 25 is the maximum bet).

How much "money" does each person usually start out?

If the goal is for bragging rights and the "winner" takes the pot based on chip count, that seems fine. But it doesn't' make too much sense to have such a huge denomination spread of $1 and $500 chips in play if the blinds/antes never increase and the goal is not to knock players out.
I was thinking the spread of $1-$500 chips would be needed maybe long term if we decide to up the entry and I wanted a range that might last me years to come if things change. Like if I ordered Dunes chips and right now we only use $1-$25 but three years from now we want to use higher chips. I notice chips seem to be limited run and I don't want to go three years from now and pay 4 times as much because they are no longer made. And I know the goal of poker is to knock people out but if I play with my in laws and I knock my father in law out half an hour in, I would feel bad and he would be bored waiting on the rest of us. So usually when the first person goes out we quit and the chip leader takes all. So I guess I should have just figured this out by myself and not confused everyone on here. Guess I was just trying to learn and be a part of the group. Being on lock down for over a week, guess I just wanted to post and learn.

:
100 x T5
100 x T25
----------------
400 chips

Listen to ^^^this^^ and then do a search for “tournament” and specify posts from @BGinGA, you will learn much about how to run a small tournament for your group, because that’s effectively what you’ve been doing.

Seems like the way to go would be a tournament set like @BGinGA described above and then a micro-stakes cash set: .05, .25, $1 and $5, not sure on exact breakdown but maybe 100/200/80/20? That way if you want to play mixed games for cash you have low stakes but are still playing for money.

And, for the record, there are a lot of people on here who are chip and poker fan(addict)s that don’t play for high stakes. Your home game sounds familiar to most of mine. However you have fun, man. I do think getting a bit more structure and being a bit more in-line with some of the standards, as well as getting a couple sets of fun chips, will make your game that much more enjoyable. Good luck!

I was thinking the spread of $1-$500 chips would be needed maybe long term if we decide to up the entry and I wanted a range that might last me years to come if things change. Like if I ordered Dunes chips and right now we only use $1-$25 but three years from now we want to use higher chips. I notice chips seem to be limited run and I don't want to go three years from now and pay 4 times as much because they are no longer made. And I know the goal of poker is to knock people out but if I play with my in laws and I knock my father in law out half an hour in, I would feel bad and he would be bored waiting on the rest of us. So usually when the first person goes out we quit and the chip leader takes all. So I guess I should have just figured this out by myself and not confused everyone on here. Guess I was just trying to learn and be a part of the group. Being on lock down for over a week, guess I just wanted to post and learn.

Asking questions on PCF is a great way to learn as long as you’re receptive to what members here are saying

Your atypical approach will be hard for folks here to help with since it’s basically a unique code/language that you’re asking people who work in standard code/language to fix.

Listen to ^^^this^^ and then do a search for “tournament” and specify posts from @BGinGA, you will learn much about how to run a small tournament for your group, because that’s effectively what you’ve been doing.

Seems like the way to go would be a tournament set like @BGinGA described above and then a micro-stakes cash set: .05, .25, $1 and $5, not sure on exact breakdown but maybe 100/200/80/20? That way if you want to play mixed games for cash you have low stakes but are still playing for money.

And, for the record, there are a lot of people on here who are chip and poker fan(addict)s that don’t play for high stakes. Your home game sounds familiar to most of mine. However you have fun, man. I do think getting a bit more structure and being a bit more in-line with some of the standards, as well as getting a couple sets of fun chips, will make your game that much more enjoyable. Good luck!
Ok sounds good. I would like it more structured, just not sure if I can get the rest of the group on board. But I will try! Thanks.

Whether it’s casual or not the structure kinda needs to be either tournament play or cash game. It sounds like you’re doing a bit of both, in the sense that everyone buys in for a fixed amount that does not correlate to value of the amount given in chips (tournament) but at the same time antes/blinds does not increase and you play until whatever and players does nlt get knocked out (cashgame).

What happens if you lose all your chips? How do you determine a winner?

Poker without a goal or risk isn't poker. If four-handed, play Rummy, Hearts, Spades, or Euchre.

Asking questions on PCF is a great way to learn as long as you’re receptive to what members here are saying
Yep, just tournament didn't mean to me what it actually means I guess. If I say, "we are going to play tournament style" to my group they will look at me like I'm on crack. Haha But now I know and will try to learn more about it before our next game.

Whether it’s casual or not the structure kinda needs to be either tournament play or cash game. It sounds like you’re doing a bit of both, in the sense that everyone buys in for a fixed amount that does not correlate to value of the amount given in chips (tournament) but at the same time antes/blinds does not increase and you play until whatever and players does nlt get knocked out (cashgame).

What happens if you lose all your chips? How do you determine a winner?
Winner is whoever has the most chips when we decide to stop playing.

Poker without a goal or risk isn't poker. If four-handed, play Rummy, Hearts, Spades, or Euchre.
I would love to play Euchre but they like to play poker and the goal is to be chip leader and the risk is $5-$10. I mean, does no one play poker for fun anymore? I feel like someone that wants to change my oil and walked on to a drag strip asking questions. Haha

If the stakes never correlate to the amounts being played. Either free, $10, $1000, then you don't need bigger denominations. Just keep playing the 1-25 spread limit. I don't think there is a need to "future" proof a set if it isn't a cash game or multi-table tournament set.

If the stakes never correlate to the amounts being played. Either free, $10, $1000, then you don't need bigger denominations. Just keep playing the 1-25 spread limit. I don't think there is a need to "future" proof a set if it isn't a cash game or multi-table tournament set.
Makes sense, thank you.

Go with the set that has nickels and this breakdown for cash

100 nickels
50 quarters
100 ones
40 fives
10 twentyfives

I’d consider skipping the $25’s but you know, pretty chips, plus it allows for more flexibility down the road. This looks like it would be good for your game.

I’d start everyone with

10 nickels
6 quarters
12 ones
1 five

and then just have fun

100 nickels
50 quarters
100 ones
40 fives
10 twentyfives

I’d consider skipping the $25’s but you know, pretty chips, plus it allows for more flexibility down the road. This looks like it would be good for your game.

I’d start everyone with

10 nickels
6 quarters
12 ones
1 five

and then just have fun
Boom! That was what I was looking for. Thank you!

100 nickels
50 quarters
100 ones
40 fives
10 twentyfives

I’d start everyone with

10 nickels
6 quarters
12 ones
1 five

and then just have fun

He pretty much nailed what you need. Stud is limit poker so you probably would want at least a 100 quarters or maybe 200 quarters and no nickels, depending on what you want to use for the betting limit.

You want to play with no levels and no set time but give everyone the same total chips at the start for $5 or $10 - play for a while and then give the 'winner' the money and then start all over again. Using the denoms will give you a little more structure and make it feel like you are playing for cash more than just making every chip the same value.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom