Holdem with one card face up (1 Viewer)

Santa123

Straight
Reaction score
I was thinking about introducing a new game to my group.

Playing No Limit Holdem with the first card face down as usual but the second card face up.

Does this game already exist? Di you think it would be fun?

I saw something similar in a card room where a 3rd card is dealt face up in NLHE, and you can play any combination of your cards.

We play Hollywood in our mixed games. It is 3 hole cards, with 1 of them dealt face up. All 3 can be used to make your hand. It is a fun game. My group plays it as hi/low for even more fun.

Only one hole card seems like it gives away too much. It limits the possible hands one could have such that a lot of the subtlety of the game would be missing.

That said, there's an old game called Hurricane which is two cards only! It was sometimes played as draw, sometimes as stud. When played stud, your entire hand is one card down and one card up. It was popular during the WWII era.

As a game, it works, and it has most of the elements of poker. And it's fun! But modern hold'em is a lot more interesting and rewarding.

Hold'em with only one hole card is basically Hurricane but with a bunch of extra cards and betting rounds that aren't really doing much for the gameplay. If you want that kind of dynamic - i.e. sheer stone-cold bluffing on a single card - play Hurricane instead. If you want to give it a try, there are plenty of variations (which is funny for a game with only two cards) but I recommend playing it as deuces wild, ace-two high-low split, no qualifier, no declare, in either draw or stud format, with two betting rounds in either case, and no-limit betting.

If you want to add some sparkle to hold'em by throwing in extra public info, play Hollywood like the others have suggested. Add a third preflop individual card face-up, but still keep two hole cards face-down.

I was thinking about introducing a new game to my group.

Playing No Limit Holdem with the first card face down as usual but the second card face up.

Does this game already exist? Di you think it would be fun?
Once or twice in the evening we launch this kind of game.

Holdem, one face up card and for the flop, the middle card is face down...
Yes, it's nonsense and I'm not the originator of this invention ahaha

Only one hole card seems like it gives away too much. It limits the possible hands one could have such that a lot of the subtlety of the game would be missing.

That said, there's an old game called Hurricane which is two cards only! It was sometimes played as draw, sometimes as stud. When played stud, your entire hand is one card down and one card up. It was popular during the WWII era.

As a game, it works, and it has most of the elements of poker. And it's fun! But modern hold'em is a lot more interesting and rewarding.

Hold'em with only one hole card is basically Hurricane but with a bunch of extra cards and betting rounds that aren't really doing much for the gameplay. If you want that kind of dynamic - i.e. sheer stone-cold bluffing on a single card - play Hurricane instead. If you want to give it a try, there are plenty of variations (which is funny for a game with only two cards) but I recommend playing it as deuces wild, ace-two high-low split, no qualifier, no declare, in either draw or stud format, with two betting rounds in either case, and no-limit betting.

If you want to add some sparkle to hold'em by throwing in extra public info, play Hollywood like the others have suggested. Add a third preflop individual card face-up, but still keep two hole cards face-down.
You should check this resource out

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/resources/abby99s-mixed-game-cards.45/

Once or twice in the evening we launch this kind of game.

Holdem, one face up card and for the flop, the middle card is face down...
Yes, it's nonsense and I'm not the originator of this invention ahaha
LOL

Sounds fun

We play Hollywood in our mixed games. It is 3 hole cards, with 1 of them dealt face up. All 3 can be used to make your hand. It is a fun game.

To somewhat contain volatility, you can also set a minimum of 2 hole cards to be used (not just one or none)

Question: Does the face-up personal card dictate position? (If yes, I guess a full orbit should be played at least, each time).

To somewhat contain volatility, you can also set a minimum of 2 hole cards to be used (not just one or none)

Question: Does the face-up personal card dictate position? (If yes, I guess a full orbit should be played at least, each time).

we use a set rotation and play a full orbit of each game. All games use button for position and action goes from the left of the button as normal.

It is definitely a game better played as limit since the board doesn’t dictate possible hands. There can be full houses without the board pairing. There can be flushes of 2 suites, and there only needs to be 2 of a suite on the board for a flush to be possible. With so much hidden strength possible playing it as no limit or pot limit can create some very big cooler hands.

I like the idea of putting one card face up but only on later streets, say for the turn and or river. Starting the hand with everyone having a card face up seems like a PITA and it would slow the game down tremendously. So before the first person can act he has to look all around the table to see who has what?

I think it would work better to reveal a bit more info on later streets when the field is reduced to 2 or 3 people. Certainly add an interesting wrinkle.

ly. So before the first person can act he has to look all around the table to see who has what?
You should never do this in poker. You should never assess what the other players are doing or what their up cards might be. Wastes waaaaay too much time to make properly evaluated decisions. Good call here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom