Hockey road trip

k9dr

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am planning an end of regular season hockey road trip to see the Tampa Bay Lightning play the Columbus Blue Jackets at Nationwide Arena on Thursday April 2 at 7:00 PM and the Detroit Red Wings at Little Caesars Arena on Saturday April 4 at 7:00 PM.

The plan is to fly into Columbus on Thursday afternoon, rent a car, and stay at a hotel within walking distance of the arena and go to the game that night. The next day drive to Michigan and see some sights along the way. Hopefully, some Michigan PCF'ers can arrange a poker game on Friday evening April 3.

On Saturday, once again find a hotel within walking distance of the arena and go to the game that night. Fly home on Sunday.

I am looking for hotel and restaurant suggestions near each arena in Columbus and Detroit.

Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 1.39.50 PM.png

BarrieJ3

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basi Italia in Columbus, five minutes away from Arena.

Perennial top five-ten restaurant, awesome everything. Can get busy or booked close to date.

ChaosRock

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fantastic, Mark!!

It will be great to see you.

As you know, I’m not at a walking distance from the Joe but you certainly have your room here if you want it!

Hornet

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For Columbus, the best hotel within walking distance is the Hilton on High St.

There are a lot of very good restaurants in the area. Are you looking for any particular type of cuisine?

k9dr

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For Columbus, the best hotel within walking distance is the Hilton on High St.

There are a lot of very good restaurants in the area. Are you looking for any particular type of cuisine?

Not really - probably just burgers or wings before the game. My wife will be with me.

moose

Full House
Reaction score
Try airbnb for downtown detroit. There are a few condos near arena. Otherwise book MGM Grand Detroit. Hot Taco Detroit is about halfway inbetween.

k9dr

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fantastic, Mark!!

It will be great to see you.

As you know, I’m not at a walking distance from the Joe but you certainly have your room here if you want it!

I may take you up on that, especially if you get a poker game together for Friday evening. Cindy will be traveling with me too.

moose

Full House
Reaction score
Harry's also seems like a popular pregame place in Detroit. Have not eaten there though.

Sprinsd

Flush
Reaction score
In Columbus there are a lot of bars and restaurants right by the arena. Teds Montana Grill and Boston’s are literally within 100 yards from the arena. Martinis is a nicer Italian restaurant that is close.

if downtown hotels are expensive there are many nice suburbs within a 10-15 Uber ride you could look into .....Worthington, Hilliard, Dublin, Polaris Area....

Hornet

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Ted’s is right across the street from the Arena and is really good. I’ve heard good things about the Half Pint, which is also close to the arena, but I haven’t been there.

moose

Full House
Reaction score
I may take you up on that, especially if you get a poker game together for Friday evening. Cindy will be traveling with me too.

If you drive in, I usually park around West Fisher Dr and Cass. There are a few reasonable lots in the area.

Forty4

Full House
Reaction score
Too bad they’ve been so hot lately. A joke about having to travel to Detroit and Buffalo to see them win would have made my day.

Top Bottom