History of Pop Punk for a Teenager (2 Viewers)

As an alternative, it's entirely possible (actually probable) that your stepdaughter has caught the hipster bug and wants to do all the things that are cool in a hipster way and isn't entirely into the music for the music and is just into it for what is stands for???

My suggestion is get her the digital downloads of the good music (thoroughly covered already) *then* go from there.

My suspicion is a year from now whatever setup and vinyl have been purchased will be effectively unused and neglected, leaving a mountain of stuff that is gathering dust. I know *VERY* few people who are truly into vinyl for what it is, and even the most dedicated of those started his collection two decades ago and even now breaks out with the vinyl roughly once a month for stay at home nights or for special gatherings. The rest of the time even *he* sticks with his iPod and iTunes.

Save the money and beware. It's a teenage phase....

As an alternative, it's entirely possible (actually probable) that your stepdaughter has caught the hipster bug and wants to do all the things that are cool in a hipster way and isn't entirely into the music for the music and is just into it for what is stands for???

My suggestion is get her the digital downloads of the good music (thoroughly covered already) *then* go from there.

My suspicion is a year from now whatever setup and vinyl have been purchased will be effectively unused and neglected, leaving a mountain of stuff that is gathering dust. I know *VERY* few people who are truly into vinyl for what it is, and even the most dedicated of those started his collection two decades ago and even now breaks out with the vinyl roughly once a month for stay at home nights or for special gatherings. The rest of the time even *he* sticks with his iPod and iTunes.

Save the money and beware. It's a teenage phase....

i don't give the kids only xmas gifts that will be enjoyed for ten years - i give them what they will enjoy now in whatever capacity. it would be incredibly condescending of me to respond to her interest by saying, "you think you like this, but you don't like it for the right reason and will probably not like it in a year." i'm glad my parents didn't take this position when i asked for the many musical instruments i asked for despite the fact that most kids who are given musical instruments rarely have the patience to become competent and are instead asking for them because it's cool to have a guitar/drums/whatever.

also, i know many people who still seriously collect vinyl and basically only use vinyl when listening to music at home. maybe she'll become one of these and maybe not, but i don't really feel xmas presents are the proper vehicle to try to teach her a lesson about the endurance of desire any more than i feel that they are the proper vehicle to mold her musical taste. otherwise i would give her sock because i know she will use them and apart from Keith i can't think of many teenagers who looked forward to socks.

as i said above, i love the clash (beyond measure - even combat rock), but obviously if i'm trying to hit the highlights of pop punk i'm not giving her four fucking clash albums.

Give her 2 tracks: Train in Vain, Lost in the Supermarket. Should appeal to a teenage girl pop punk fan.

I too am a clash fan that did not think of Combat Rock as a horrible sell out record. I have a copy on vinyl if you can take home in march (If I can find it).

It's disturbing to me that I don't recognize so many of the band names in a punk pop thread. So I'll just tell you who I was listening to in the 80's.

Blondie
Stranglers
Ska - all second wave Ska is the ultimate pop punk or alt pop IMO
Clash
Talking Heads - "Remain in Light" or the "Stop Making Sense" soundtrack on a good system can't be beat.
Ramones
Cramps
Elvis Costello
Joe Jackson
Split Enz
Midnight Oil - "10 to 1" may be one of the greatest, and most under appreciated albums of all time
Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet - fantastic instrumental Surf
Ray Condo and his Hardrock Goners - Montreal Rockabilly
Jerry Jerry and the Sons of Rhythm Orchestra - Montreal pop punk by way of Edmonton
Undertones
Replacements

And even though I never bought one of their albums, Red Kross always seemed to be an opening act that I loved. Bunch of kids from California that looked twelve years old and cranked out high energy poppy punky music while having a great time.

I used a pretty liberal definition of pop punk when listing what I did, but Rammstein? Du Hast is probably as poppy as it gets with them, but pop punk?

I have never been able to get into Social D. I remember one night at a bar someone played 6 or 7 Social D songs in a row and I couldn't tell you where one ended and the other began.

I used a pretty liberal definition of pop punk when listing what I did, but Rammstein? Du Hast is probably as poppy as it gets with them, but pop punk?

I have never been able to get into Social D. I remember one night at a bar someone played 6 or 7 Social D songs in a row and I couldn't tell you where one ended and the other began.

I'm with you on Social D. Never got the appeal. And not pop punk IMNSHO.

Bit late to this thread but give Jawbreaker a try. A great band from my "emo"era. Their first album, Unfun is probably best for what you're looking for as their later albums got a little darker, yet more musically interesting IMO.

Here's a few examples

Wow you guys pretty much got it all. I am going to stray a bit into punk punk and ska: Circle Jerks and The Specials.

Angles and Airwaves is a spin off with one of the blink 182 guys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom