Hiring Custom Ceramic Designer (1 Viewer)

rjens

Waiting List
Reaction score
I'm looking for someone to help design my chips for a custom ceramic cash set. I'm planning on ordering around 500 chips from ABC to host mostly 5c/10c $20 max buy-in and some 10c/25c $50 max buy-in cash games. The current thought is 100 x 5c, 200 x 25c, 150 x $1, and 50 x $5; although that seems like maybe too small of a bank for the 10c/25c games.

As far as design goes, I'm a student at UNC Chapel Hill, and would like the chips to be Carolina/Chapel Hill themed, and since they are ceramic I'm hoping for something fairly complex/creative. Here are links to the official school colors (https://identity.unc.edu/brand/color-palette/), I also like the red clay color, which is very common in NC. And here are the trademarked logos that I'll need to avoid directly copying (https://identity.unc.edu/brand/color-palette/). I like the look of traditional chips with a central design and spots around, and one concrete design I was thinking about was having "tar heel" graphics as the spots around the chip, with tar "dripping" off the heel so that it creates marks on the rolling edge. For the central portion, I'm thinking the text, "the southern part of heaven" along with a graphic, or combination of graphics, of the "chapel," "bell tower," or "old well" similar to this image (from left to right starting in the center) as well as the chip values. I'd also like some level of incorporating a "hill" that the structures sit on:
1606674980621.png

I also really like the font style and overall aesthetic of this mural:
1606675127143.png

For the edge spots, I made this rough mockup; the idea being that the feet wrap around the rolling edge so the "tar" portion creates the spots on the edge.
1606675126493.png

If anyone is able to take on this design project, please let me know. And if anyone else has design thoughts or comments on the set itself, I'm all ears.

All kidding aside, @p5woody does a stellar job at designing, as well as putting up with all the changes that I have thrown at him on various projects.

Welcome!

Though I will warn, I asked Woody about doing some work last month and he wasn't accepting any jobs at that time. Maybe that's changed, but not sure.

@timinater , @JeepologyOffroad , @wolfpack (I think) and @Johnny5 all do design work as well

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses everyone, unfortunately @p5woody was unable to take a design right now, but I have contracted a designer on a different website so we'll see how that goes. I plan to post the results of that, and for anyone who has more experience here: should I just add that to this thread or start a new one?

For the edge spots, I made this rough mockup; the idea being that the feet wrap around the rolling edge so the "tar" portion creates the spots on the edge.
FYI, aligning the edgespots like this is an extra 20c per chip, which is why most ceramic designs have an independent rolling edge design which doesn't connect with the face design. And even if you pay the extra 20c, all chips won't be perfectly aligned, there will always be some which are a tiny bit off.

FYI, aligning the edgespots like this is an extra 20c per chip, which is why most ceramic designs have an independent rolling edge design which doesn't connect with the face design. And even if you pay the extra 20c, all chips won't be perfectly aligned, there will always be some which are a tiny bit off.
Yeah I think I'm going to take @ConsensualPresidency 's advice and go with argyle for the rolling edges.

is anything in the direction of what
AAA.jpg
you're going for? a starting point?

Last edited:
is anything in the direction of what View attachment 583283you're going for? a starting point?
Here's an sketch I made that I sent to the graphic designer, along with quick mockups I made demonstrating the four chip colors:
1606776935008.png
untitled (11).png
untitled (10).png
untitled (12).png
untitled (13).png

I'm leaning towards the single set of feet, but was also thinking maybe putting them in different "clock positions" for each chip value, so that all four chips combined would have feet that correspond to 1789, which is the year Carolina received its charter.

Here's an sketch I made that I sent to the graphic designer, along with quick mockups I made demonstrating the four chip colors:
View attachment 583320View attachment 583319View attachment 583321View attachment 583322View attachment 583323
I'm leaning towards the single set of feet, but was also thinking maybe putting them in different "clock positions" for each chip value, so that all four chips combined would have feet that correspond to 1789, which is the year Carolina received its charter.
what are those buildings?

5cent_chip.png
25cent_chip.png
1dollar_chip.png
5dollar_chip.png
PokerChip.jpg

Here's the first draft from the designer. I think they look pretty great: I've asked him to change the chapel and add another tree and a sun. I'm also thinking to move the tar heels off of the front and put them single-wide on the rolling edge so it looks like they are walking around the chip.

For anyone who's had custom ceramics, will the thin black on the argyle pattern print okay?

What do y'all think?

To me, the text looks too small to read. I can barely make out the gazebo behind the denom. I would lose most of the lines in the grass in favour of either a gradient or a few slightly different shades among the various slopes. Same with the tree. The tall thin chapel's detail is lost, and there's a lot of blank space to its left.

My overall thought: too many graphic elements on one side. Consider splitting them between the two sides of the chip.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom