Hidden Storage (1 Viewer)

davin

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Saw these on FB , thought this would be pretty cool to hide chips/cash what not
@T_Chan can prob build these for much better price
IMG_6342.jpg

Probably better for stashing money than a lot of chips, but super cool in any case.

For my money, if it needs to be hidden and locked up, then it needs to be in a fire resistant safe.

But for buy-ins during a game, sure - if it's convenient. Not sure if it would be strong enough to hold many chips though.
Sorry...real old thread revival..

I recently read a post that really got me thinking about things that have happened to me in the past. I've been robbed before, more than once, and had a home fire before that claimed alot of goods.

I don't have the chip collections that are anything to brag about, but the cost factor is no joke. I'm invested for many thousands of dollars and I'd be heartbroken and disappointed in myself for not protecting my goodies and learning from my mistakes.

I bought a good quality fire proof/burglary safe. It's good for 1 hr @ 1200F and weighs 355lbs. It's a nice little beast! Just took delivery today and couldn't be happier about this decision I took. It was around $1300CDN bucks. I had it anchored to my concrete floor for extra measure.

Not hidden storage, but these chips of mine are going to be hard to get at. That's for sure.

If you ever used it. Ever.

You would not only be banned for life, but I might personally kill you myself. I see a gun without a badge in my home, I no longer ask questions. You are f*****g dead.
Interesting. The only way I'm using it is if something just went down and I saved your damn life. And my own. That's kind of the whole point of concealed carry. Nobody knows.

Never mind, already responded

Interesting. The only way I'm using it is if something just went down and I saved your damn life. And my own. That's kind of the whole point of concealed carry. Nobody knows.
Why do you think you are needed to save my life, in my house?

Why do you think that someone robbing a card game is going to kill anybody?

Why do you think that you can get your gun out faster than an armed robber, who already has a gun out?

Why do you think that drawing your weapon won't result in the robber opening fire killing multiple innocent players?

As a host, I have a rule. Check your firearms at the door. If you are Law Enforcement (i.e. trained), and not drinking, I have no issue with you carrying. If you think you are some hero, you are out on your ass if I catch you trying to sneak it in.

Why do you think that someone robbing a card game is going to kill anybody?

Why do you think that you can get your gun out faster than an armed robber, who already has a gun out?

Why do you think that drawing your weapon won't result in the robber opening fire killing multiple innocent players?

As a host, I have a rule. Check your firearms at the door. If you are Law Enforcement (i.e. trained), and not drinking, I have no issue with you carrying. If you think you are some hero, you are out on your ass if I catch you trying to sneak it in.
While I'm not OP, I'm passionate about the 2nd amendment. At first, I thought you were an anti-gun nut and wrote a longer post that addressed your questions one by one. I sat back after writing and realized that you aren't an anti-gun nut at all and are coming from a good place. I agree with you on some of your points. I'll focus on those because I think there's something important to be discussed here and a dialogue would be healthy.

I would consider it disrespectful if one of my players concealed carried during a game without notifying me, as I know them all closely. I would warn once if not notified, and have them keep it in another room until the game ends and I have vetted them. If they pulled this stunt more than once or did it after I requested them not to, I would lifetime bar them. If a player I did not know closely brought a concealed firearm into my home without notifying me well in advance, it would be an instant bar. I understand the want for security, but it should be provided and/or facilitated by the host. If you are dissatisfied with the security, do not attend the game. Your rights - but my game, my house, my rules. It's private property and if you don't like it, don't come.

Yes, and I applaud this rule. It's case by case basis but the no drinking part is a prerequisite. I might forward this rule to a few other people I know in the area for their consideration.

@1A25R I am the first person to stand up for your rights but please tell me you are not drinking and the host knows about your carry. You have a duty as a responsible gun owner to exercise safe practices. Informing the host is common courtesy and will help them prepare for possible life threatening scenarios. If shit goes down, the time to let your host know that you are carrying is past.

Gun culture are different in different part of the world, and those are shaped by our own belief, education, experience, morals, laws, etc.
So my belief while coming down to guns are :
The first rule of self-defense is to avoid a confrontation.
The response must be proportional to the threat.

So, the short answer to the above questions and remarks;
No, I never carry a gun to someone else place.
No, I never drink while carrying/handling weapons or at the range.
My continuous training is done at the Military Shooting Society, the same organization that defines and trains Swiss and European military & law enforcement organizations. As appointed to the observation of safety rules and muzzle discipline on joint-forces drills, as such, I want to think that I also apply them myself :)

and I love Jim Jefferies Gun Control stand-up sketch

Gun culture are different in different part of the world, and those are shaped by our own belief, education, experience, morals, laws, etc.
So my belief while coming down to guns are :
The first rule of self-defense is to avoid a confrontation.
The response must be proportional to the threat.

So, the short answer to the above questions and remarks;
No, I never carry a gun to someone else place.
No, I never drink while carrying/handling weapons or at the range.
My continuous training is done at the Military Shooting Society, the same organization that defines and trains Swiss and European military & law enforcement organizations. As appointed to the observation of safety rules and muzzle discipline on joint-forces drills, as such, I want to think that I also apply them myself :)

and I love Jim Jefferies Gun Control stand-up sketch
Keep on keeping on. You sound like you're right on track. Thank you for your service

While I'm not OP, I'm passionate about the 2nd amendment. At first, I thought you were an anti-gun nut and wrote a longer post that addressed your questions one by one. I sat back after writing and realized that you aren't an anti-gun nut at all and are coming from a good place. I agree with you on some of your points. I'll focus on those because I think there's something important to be discussed here and a dialogue would be healthy.

I would consider it disrespectful if one of my players concealed carried during a game without notifying me, as I know them all closely. I would warn once if not notified, and have them keep it in another room until the game ends and I have vetted them. If they pulled this stunt more than once or did it after I requested them not to, I would lifetime bar them. If a player I did not know closely brought a concealed firearm into my home without notifying me well in advance, it would be an instant bar. I understand the want for security, but it should be provided and/or facilitated by the host. If you are dissatisfied with the security, do not attend the game. Your rights - but my game, my house, my rules. It's private property and if you don't like it, don't come.

Yes, and I applaud this rule. It's case by case basis but the no drinking part is a prerequisite. I might forward this rule to a few other people I know in the area for their consideration.

@1A25R I am the first person to stand up for your rights but please tell me you are not drinking and the host knows about your carry. You have a duty as a responsible gun owner to exercise safe practices. Informing the host is common courtesy and will help them prepare for possible life threatening scenarios. If shit goes down, the time to let your host know that you are carrying is past.

Right on. This is how it's done. If I have one pet peeve in your statement, it's that you thought @Poker Zombie was an anti-gun nut. Not everyone on the left is anti-gun, they're anti high-powered weapons that mow down multiple people and cause unnecessary bloodshed. If you're a responsible gun owner, that's great. But there is no need for someone to own a small arsenal of machine guns, rocket launchers, etc. to battle a small militia or the overtaking from the government (which Obama was supposedly taking every conservatives guns away 12 years ago. Still waiting for that to happen, I guess?)

Right on. This is how it's done. If I have one pet peeve in your statement, it's that you thought @Poker Zombie was an anti-gun nut. Not everyone on the left is anti-gun, they're anti high-powered weapons that mow down multiple people and cause unnecessary bloodshed. If you're a responsible gun owner, that's great. But there is no need for someone to own a small arsenal of machine guns, rocket launchers, etc. to battle a small militia or the overtaking from the government (which Obama was supposedly taking every conservatives guns away 12 years ago. Still waiting for that to happen, I guess?)
I was going to say something similar, but then I didn’t, but here I go.
It doesn’t have to be polar! We don’t all have to be NUTS. (Gun nuts or anti-gun nuts.) There is plenty of room in the middle of far left and far right.
But if you think that any compromise is unacceptable, then you may be a nut.

OK, I guess I need to apologize for my role in letting this get sideways. First, to clarify a few things:
  • No, I would never concealed carry into someone's home without them knowing about it.
  • No, I would not concealed carry if I were drinking away from my home. I'm not a big drinker anyway, so this isn't a worry of mine.
  • Also no, I typically don't go places where the hosts/owners are not on board with concealed carry. Even if I'm not carrying myself, I don't particularly want to be someplace where if a nut with a gun does show up, no one can stop him. Unfortunately, this situation is sometimes unavoidable, but that doesn't mean I like it.
So I'm gonna leave this with one of my favorite Chris Knight songs. It involves poker, guns, and probably alcohol too! Becky's Bible

Not a statement I would expect from someone whose avatar is:
View attachment 457572
I LOVE craft beer. I drink it almost every day. In fact, I also home brew. What I don't do is drink to excess. Almost NEVER.

In my short time here, I've learned that you are the agitator in this group. You like to try to get under people's skin don't you? That's cool. Keeps everyone on their toes. I like to do that a bit myself sometimes. Cheers!

So I am in the process of re-doing my basement room which is where I host games when I have them. Nice wood burning stove, dart board, will put a TV in...you get the gist. I currently have a set of french doors that lead to under the staircase, some small storage area, and then a crawl space. I'm looking to replace those doors with the below type of murphy door bookcase.

Complete novelty but currently have plenty of time at home and I enjoy woodworking so figured I'll give it a go. I've never built anything like this before and have no idea about the hinges yet but I figure I can sort all that. My only real issue so far is that my floor is actually brick and I don't want to have scratches so I'm trying to make sure I can support the weight without any issues. Should be fun. Might put a small fireproof safe in there after just for documents and such.

1589331161206.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom