Hi y'all, cash or tournament? (2 Viewers)

Hi all,

I signed up for an account a while back but was mostly just lurking around until recently got into it again.

Started watching poker on tv during the pandemic and playing online on a mobile app for fun.

Really want to play with friends but this pandemic, lockdowns and stay at home orders are driving me crazy.

Always thought I was only into tournaments but starting thinking that a micro stakes cash game with friends would be fun once things open up again.

Looking for both a tournament and cash game set on the classifieds on the daily.

Learned a lot just by browsing the forums so thanks to those who make good, educational posts
While I disagree with him and addressed that in my last post, ekrickets isn’t wrong, I haven’t helped answer your question.

most guys will say tournaments are good to get new players in and get regs, then run a cash game for busted players. So then you should get two sets. Just make sure you never mix the two.

personally I love cash games, I love the social chill atmosphere, the lack of increasing blinds and no set start or end times. Tournaments are good for special occasions and we usually do themes for Halloween/Christmas etc. I personally hate the poker style, but it can be made for a fun evening.

the answer is always both. But I like cash better for many reasons.

Hell, I even tried to extend an olive branch. Enjoy your tournaments, no sense us bickering here anymore.

Thanks man! Enjoy your cash game, and since you extended a branch to me I’ll do the same, be careful on your trips to the ATM during the game. Sometimes criminals try to rob people around them, so be careful!!!

I find it depends on the crowd. If its super casual once every few months type of group, tourneys with fairly fast blind structures seem to be the cats meow. Some nights we play 2 small tourneys during a UFC event or whatever, and its awesome.However with my weekly group we are more poker "enthusiasts" (degens) who study and are actively trying to improve. In that case cash is the way to go in my opinion. Cash really allows you to implore alot more of the strategic aspects that make the game so fun, which for me personally beats pushing all in preflop. Thats just my take on it, both are fun and fine, but I think it depends on what you are looking for.

I don’t know why people can’t say both are great, depending on what you’re looking to do and the group with which you are playing.

But it’s the internet, so I kind of get it.

I don’t know why people can’t say both are great, depending on what you’re looking to do and the group with which you are playing.

But it’s the internet, so I kind of get it.
I think both ARE great, different kinds of fun, but yea...it's the internet what can ya do.

Lots of great inputs from many people so thanks to everyone who helped, either way I'm gonna be both a cash set and tourney set so it's win-win :p

I think both ARE great, different kinds of fun, but yea...it's the internet what can ya do.

Lots of great inputs from many people so thanks to everyone who helped, either way I'm gonna be both a cash set and tourney set so it's win-win :p
You’re gonna have a great time either way, and sorry for a couple of us being dicks. We’re usually much nicer in this forum. :tup:

We play both. I enjoy both.

For me cash is more relaxed, no big deal if you miss a couple of hands doing a hosting duty. It's not time dependent and a lot of times the games vary. There is more social interaction and in most cases more poker playing than forced moves due to increased blinds.

I love tournaments as well, but they take a lot of time or feel rushed. Really don't like the turbos. May not need luck, but you do have to avoid bad luck.

Good poker players will have more winning sessions in cash games than tournaments as they don't have to fight the clock as well. It is true that there can be a deep pocketed dick head that can ruin a cash game. The stakes have to match the players.

Many novices prefer tournaments, I think mostly it's because they consider the buyin a entertainment cost and don't expect a return.

We usually have both. I prefer to play cash up front, then have a tournament start later to end the night, but sometimes we do tournament first then play cash. Depends on the crowd and when everyone can get there.

There's an easy fix for that... Play limit.
I know that this is not as popular, but it is an excellent answer!

I went back and read every post that the OP made in this entire thread and to me it seems obvious that he is relatively new to poker and certainly new to hosting poker. He is looking for a little advice on how to host and what sort of games and other things to help....

ekricket is very opinionated and many of the posts he made seem to be intended to ruffle some feathers, idk... It is fine that everyone has an opinion and it is actually good that everyone doesn't like the exact same thing. ekricket, you have an opinion and I think we can all respect that. Lots of other good posts here that give solid reasons for liking one or the other, but I have not seen anything from you that backs up your opinion other than it sounds like you don't like it when someone bullies the table in cash. I guess you must have the opinion that cash is easy or there is no skill in cash so tournaments are better.

Some of the comments made by Eloe2000 and myself and some others here in this thread are intended to try and help a new host/newer player by helping him to host a game that will be fun for everyone and promote a good social environment which makes it more likely that the players will continue to return. The #1 thing that will turn a player into an ex player is losing too much money too fast. This same reason will kill your game or require you to be constantly recruiting new players. There are a lot of ways that can happen and the truth of it is that it doesn't really matter how it happens. If players lose too fast, they will quit.

If you are playing with friends and you want to make it a social thing and have everyone keep coming then make the game small, make it limit or make it really small nl or make it a really small tournament. Do what you have to to keep everyone happy and coming back time after time. All of these things can work. Just don't do the things that make your players lose money too fast.

If your goal is to fleece the other players as fast as possible then make the game bigger, play nl, play PLO. Just know that if you do these things then your game will not be as social and you are going to have to work much harder at recruiting new players.

Me, personally I would love to play in a massive nl or PLO game with a bunch of super deep pockets that play exactly like what ekricket says ruins a cash game. Unfortunately massive nl and PLO games do not last for the exact same reason I stated above. The fish lose too fast and they stop playing. I am 100% with Eloe2000 in that I host because I want a social game with my friends. My main group is mostly the same players and everyone knows who the donators are and who the winners are. The donators have been donating for 35 yrs, but yet they keep coming back for more. It isn't like they don't know they are the fish, they even talk about it sometimes. The reason they keep coming back for more is because we play small and enjoy each others company and no one wins or loses too much. Depending on your group "too much" can vary a lot. In some circles, some people can lose quite a lot of money for quite a long time before they quit. In others the wins and losses probably should be no more than $20 or $50. I play in card rooms at limits 10x or even 20x the size game what I would consider having in my home game. I don't host a home game to make money, I do it for the social aspect. When I go to a Card Room, I am trying to make money.

Last edited:
I know that this is not as popular, but it is an excellent answer!

I went back and read every post that the OP made in this entire thread and to me it seems obvious that he is relatively new to poker and certainly new to hosting poker. He is looking for a little advice on how to host and what sort of games and other things to help....

ekricket is very opinionated and many of the posts he made seem to be intended to ruffle some feathers, idk... It is fine that everyone has an opinion and it is actually good that everyone doesn't like the exact same thing. ekricket, you have an opinion and I think we can all respect that. Lots of other good posts here that give solid reasons for liking one or the other, but I have not seen anything from you that backs up your opinion other than it sounds like you don't like it when someone bullies the table in cash. I guess you must have the opinion that cash is easy or there is no skill in cash so tournaments are better.

Some of the comments made by Eloe2000 and myself and some others here in this thread are intended to try and help a new host/newer player by helping him to host a game that will be fun for everyone and promote a good social environment which makes it more likely that the players will continue to return. The #1 thing that will turn a player into an ex player is losing too much money too fast. This same reason will kill your game or require you to be constantly recruiting new players. There are a lot of ways that can happen and the truth of it is that it doesn't really matter how it happens. If players lose too fast, they will quit.

If you are playing with friends and you want to make it a social thing and have everyone keep coming then make the game small, make it limit or make it really small nl or make it a really small tournament. Do what you have to to keep everyone happy and coming back time after time. All of these things can work. Just don't do the things that make your players lose money too fast.

If your goal is to fleece the other players as fast as possible then make the game bigger, play nl, play PLO. Just know that if you do these things then your game will not be as social and you are going to have to work much harder at recruiting new players.

Me, personally I would love to play in a massive nl or PLO game with a bunch of super deep pockets that play exactly like what ekricket says ruins a cash game. Unfortunately massive nl and PLO games do not last for the exact same reason I stated above. The fish lose too fast and they stop playing. I am 100% with Eloe2000 in that I host because I want a social game with my friends. My main group is mostly the same players and everyone knows who the donators are and who the winners are. The donators have been donating for 35 yrs, but yet they keep coming back for more. It isn't like they don't know they are the fish, they even talk about it sometimes. The reason they keep coming back for more is because we play small and enjoy each others company and no one wins or loses too much. Depending on your group "too much" can vary a lot. In some circles, some people can lose quite a lot of money for quite a long time before they quit. In others the wins and losses probably should be no more than $20 or $50. I play in card rooms at limits 10x or even 20x the size game what I would consider having in my home game. I don't host a home game to make money, I do it for the social aspect. When I go to a Card Room, I am trying to make money.
Yeah, I’m the only one with a strong opinion. Fuck off dick.

For me, only cash is true poker.

If it's a home game cash is sooooooo much better than tournament as in a tournament people get knocked out 15 minutes in

If it's a home game cash is sooooooo much better than tournament as in a tournament people get knocked out 15 minutes in and rather than wait for a cash game to breakout some will just wind up leaving. No one wants to go out to play poker for the evening and wind up going home 15 min in.

The skill of coming out on the right side of a coin flip that ultimately every Tourney hinges on? Forget that.

Tournament poker sucks, but you do you,

@ekricket
ever hear of the Pyramid of Disagreement?
No? hmm didn't think so. I'm sure you will make another comment like you just did, but I am going to offer some free advice.

If you ever want to up your argument game a little you might think about some critical thinking before you spout your mouth off the next time. Here is a little primer on winning arguments and disagreements the right way:

@ekricket
ever hear of the Pyramid of Disagreement?
No? hmm didn't think so. I'm sure you will make another comment like you just did, but I am going to offer some free advice.

If you ever want to up your argument game a little you might think about some critical thinking before you spout your mouth off the next time. Here is a little primer on winning arguments and disagreements the right way:

Here’s the word of the day!

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/pretentious

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom