Hi, I'm new, and making these custom chips. (1 Viewer)

brianjamesrobot

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Brian, a graphic designer from Syracuse, NY.

I always wanted my own custom poker chips so I saw a design that I liked and am having made soon. I used a lot of threads on poker chip forum to make decisions on where to get them made, what chips are best, and what to store them in.

Let me know what you think!

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 4.48.54 PM.png

In fact I’d argue your colors may be too dark in general. It’s a common mistake that many including me have made. The blues purples dark greens etc. can be hard to distinguish.

In fact I’d argue your colors may be too dark in general. It’s a common mistake that many including me have made. The blues purples dark greens etc. can be hard to distinguish.
Good calls. I'll tweak them. Thank you!

Great looking design... Very original..
Not sure if this is sarcasm cause I ripped off the design from somewhere else, but thanks!

Hello and welcome!

Who are you using to manufacture?
I was thinking brpro poker

Good calls. I'll tweak them. Thank you!

Not sure if this is sarcasm cause I ripped off the design from somewhere else, but thanks!

I was thinking brpro poker
Now I do remember similiar design but my complement was genuine....
You may want to work on colors (they look bit dark) and maybe make denominations a bit more visible...
Overall good start...

I like the design a lot. I think you'll definitely have to make some tweaks based on how they print. BrPro is great, they'll print samples for you. My advice would be to make a few different versions of the design and get samples printed, so you can see how different things translate to print.

I bet the fine blue lines on the black on the $1 will almost disappear when printed, for example.

My only real critique is that I don't like the font, only because of the number 5. It just looks like an S or dollar sign.

Welcome to PCF! I aree with other comments on the color choices, it is already hard to differentiate them on a screen, I can almost guarantee the printing color will not improve the problem. Best of luck on your design!

Chip design looks really cool. I agree with the other comments. Colors are a bit dark and I see dirty stacks being an issue.

For me and my players we like denominations to be very easy to distinguish just by a quick visual when raises get made.

I can see these color choices forcing players to take a serious look to see what exactly was bet.

Last edited:
Cool design!
The black on ceramics tends to bleed a little, and even sometimes more than expected. Those very thin colored rules may get swallowed up.
Kristil at BRPro is great...when you're ready, I recommend working with her to maybe get a sample or two of these printed, just so there are no surprises.

I like them, but . . . (there's always a "but")

The denomination on the quarter would be correct if you used either the decimal point or the cent sign. As written, it means one-quarter of one cent.

Looking forward to seeing them with revised colors.
This is an excellent catch thanks

Like the concept. What’s the original design that inspired you? That tiny text on the inside may not come out the way you want.

When designing chips and inlays, I always print designs at the final size they will be in reality. Put them in the environment you will be using the chips in as far as lighting goes... same location if at all possible. Look at them at arms length and the distance they will be in the pot when in use.

You can very quickly ID any readability issues with the design and get a feeling for dirty stacks or problems identifying different denominations from across the table.

At the end of a design, I might have made 40 or 60 prints well before I send stuff off to production.

Good luck with the design. Take your time and don't feel like you need to rush. It will make all the difference in the end.

Welcome!​
We have a New Member Start here (link in sig) that has a ton of information.

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I think you've got some great feedback, I think the denoms look good but may be a bit too skinny to read.

I agree with @Colquhoun and @mike32 the colors may bleed, make sure to get samples, BRPro is great for that; You may have dirty stacks again samples

The denomination on the quarter would be correct if you used either the decimal point or the cent sign. As written, it means one-quarter of one cent.
I think this is the most important
examples to use on chips 1/4, .25, 25c, 25 cents

examples often regrated $0.25c, $.25, .25c

I echo what others here have said, namely:
  • Kristil is great to work with. As long as you're not in a rush, they will do what needs to be done to make sure that you get the chips that you love. And that includes printing samples for you
  • Absolutely get samples. Even though printing out your designs ahead of time gives you a good idea, your printer will make lines way sharper than their dye sublimation process can.
  • Colors bleed, sharp lines don't turn out the way you think they will, and some colors might be too close to each other
In general, I would say that you need to absolutely have them print out samples. But before you do that, get their opinion on how fine your lines are. They might suggest making them a bit thicker.

I've had artifacts that were completely clear on screen, completely clear in my test prints, and then they barely showed up on the chip.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom