Hi from Barrie Canada! (1 Viewer)

ljd

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello all!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm not really a chipper. A couple of years ago I was looking for ways to spend more time with my family. I took my son to McDonalds in a Walmart on the weekend and after we ate, we wandered around the toy section. I found a board game called Catan and thought it might be fun. That started our daily evening board game family time.

With this new board game hobby I learned that using paper money was only for scrubs and lowlifes, and if you really want to have fun, you need to use poker chips!

So I bought some dice chips, white/red/blue/green/black and all was well...for a time. Then I started buying more colors to use as more denominations. But then it became confusing for my family to keep track of all the denominations. Especially if we had a friends over. So I had to get denominated chips. I bought a bunch of different sets available from stores in Canada. Each time spending a little more money trying to find something I like. I can't believe how much time and money I've spent on these cheap poker chips!

So I mostly have cheap metal slugged chips and cheap ceramics. The chips are strictly to add to the enjoyment of board gaming with my family. I don't understand why I care so much about the poker chips we use; but I do :D.

Hi welcome to PCF most of us also went through dice chip metal slugged before moving on towards better chip that is just bits and parcels of being a chipper

Reactions: ljd
Hello all!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm not really a chipper. A couple of years ago I was looking for ways to spend more time with my family. I took my son to McDonalds in a Walmart on the weekend and after we ate, we wandered around the toy section. I found a board game called Catan and thought it might be fun. That started our daily evening board game family time.

With this new board game hobby I learned that using paper money was only for scrubs and lowlifes, and if you really want to have fun, you need to use poker chips!

So I bought some dice chips, white/red/blue/green/black and all was well...for a time. Then I started buying more colors to use as more denominations. But then it became confusing for my family to keep track of all the denominations. Especially if we had a friends over. So I had to get denominated chips. I bought a bunch of different sets available from stores in Canada. Each time spending a little more money trying to find something I like. I can't believe how much time and money I've spent on these cheap poker chips!

So I mostly have cheap metal slugged chips and cheap ceramics. The chips are strictly to add to the enjoyment of board gaming with my family. I don't understand why I care so much about the poker chips we use; but I do :D.
Hello fellow Canuck and welcome to PCF... Take a look at some of the incredible sets some members have!

Reactions: ljd
Welcome to the board, I purchased a board game set too. This one was only ~0.14cents Canadian/chip so attrition from child losses and dogs are acceptable.

This set was bought with board games in mind as well as a swiss-army knife poker travel/general use set. This is the set I leave on the shelf next to the board games. The rest of my chips are stored more securely. I have added 1000 and 5000 value chips to allow for more versatility. Wish I could get more 100's (out of stock with the vendor) as I would happily add-on for the cost of these chips. They have a nice feel for what they cost. I have also used these chips as counter units for teaching math concepts etc to my daughter when school was virtual (me).

0MGKXy1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @philhut !
Nice. Same here. I bought a set of the above "Prestige" chips from straightPokerSupplies last year. It was my first denominated chip set.
We used them a few times, but I ultimately couldn't get over how easy it is to end up with dirty barrels of 1s and 10s.

I have 50 of the 100s. You can have 49 of them if you'd like. If I ever use the prestige chips, I have 100 of these more colorful las vagas chips I could use as 100s.

BTW, what kind of games do you play that would use so many 100s? Are you an 18xx player?

prestige100_1.jpg

prestige100_2.jpg
lasvagas-100-4color-1.jpg

lasvagas-100-4color-2.jpg

Hi @philhut !
Nice. Same here. I bought a set of the above "Prestige" chips from straightPokerSupplies last year. It was my first denominated chip set.
We used them a few times, but I ultimately couldn't get over how easy it is to end up with dirty barrels of 1s and 10s.

I have 50 of the 100s. You can have 49 of them if you'd like. If I ever use the prestige chips, I have 100 of these more colorful las vagas chips I could use as 100s.

BTW, what kind of games do you play that would use so many 100s? Are you an 18xx player?

View attachment 784326
View attachment 784327View attachment 784328

View attachment 784329

isolationist mentality has mangled everything lately. I really thought gaming would be in hot demand so expanded into customs etc but so far its been dry. In the past I have run 2-3 table tourneys and usually 1 sometimes 2 cash tables. I have built a few sets in mind for 2-4 table tournaments and/or 1-2 table cash.

The "prestiege" chips were bought as math counters for my daughter (she has a learning deficit in math) who found them very helpful. Also was travelling for work until recently so would take the up to northern ontario and they were used for a few "fun" tournaments up there among the clinic staff.

As for breakdown these chips are enough and in value for most 1 or 2 board games. I bought enough to allow for "attrition" on this set by any means. Also as a poker set it allows for (with the extra 50-1000 and 25-5000 chips to work as a good 1 table tourney and also cash later using different chips for .10/.20 or 1/2. I wondered about big stacks of 1's and 10's but so far playing Monopoly with less chips it was not an issue at all. Below is the breakdown I currently have of them.

ColorChipAmount
white$1.00150
red$5.00150
blue$10100
green$250
aqua$50100
black$1000
green25125
black100125
gold50050
Yellow1,00050
pink5,00025

I had a set of "Scroll Ceramics" and "Crazy Horse Clays" but I did not really like them. I prefer the prestiege chips to both of these for feel and stackability. I appreciate the offer of extra hundreds. It would really just be add-ons just because I like the chips more than actually needing any. I have considered while they are cheap and available to expand to 175-25, 175-100, 100-500, 100-1000, 50-5000 to allow for a 2nd table tourney but really that negates the role of this set which is to fit in one travel case for games where bringing the usual sets is impractical or I don't want to risk losing better chips.

I hope to eventually get one of these games going....heck there are so many ways to play it and even open pool wagering is an option......I LOVE! Win/Place & Show. HSI chips are a great pairing..... Last I played this was with a large group made up of most riders, owners, jockeys and grooms from woodbine.....so many laughs and the most serious games ever (we even had a real Steward, lol) Some injuries and "Liberal Gov't" policies forced me to leave the real game, hopefully I can find enough players one day to be interested in a 1960's era horse racing game again.

iu

HxiSZLz.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom