Hey! Pass the deal. (1 Viewer)

Recombeast

Sitting Out
Reaction score
New member, was curious I see so many sets with custom dealer buttons. Do you all pay dealers? designate one dealer? Host deals?

We've had a .25/.50 NL home game for about 20 years now, almost always friends of mine. We've always just passed the deal. Everyone shuffles, everyone deals, everyone cuts. Two decks, SB gets and shuffles the next deck so it's ready to go. I don't see a need for a dealer button because the deck passes. So when I see all the custom buttons I'm wondering if I'm missing out!

Is there a nirvana I'm unaware of? or is it just to complete your set?

School me. :D

Mostly those of us that have different or custom sets purchase DB's as an accessory to complete our sets which sometimes includes custom cut cards as well. I agree that in most self dealt games the DB doesn't get used properly or ends up not getting passed with the deal and becomes useless sitting next to someones stack. Most of the games I play are self dealt where the deal passes or occasionally someone who busts will act as a dealer. When the game has a dedicated dealer the DB is extremely helpful to keep track of where the dealer is.

BTW have you tried shuffle behind, where the dealer gathers the muck (cleans up) and shuffles after his own deal and then passes the ready deck forward. Most games I play in use the shuffle behind method and we find it works much better than the shuffle ahead method you described.

New member, was curious I see so many sets with custom dealer buttons. Do you all pay dealers? designate one dealer? Host deals?

We've had a .25/.50 NL home game for about 20 years now, almost always friends of mine. We've always just passed the deal. Everyone shuffles, everyone deals, everyone cuts. Two decks, SB gets and shuffles the next deck so it's ready to go. I don't see a need for a dealer button because the deck passes. So when I see all the custom buttons I'm wondering if I'm missing out!

No, you're absolutely correct. I've made this argument before, and people with more experience than me have come in and made eloquent arguments about the usefulness of a dealer button in a self-dealt game, and I'm half convinced every time. But then when we're actually playing - no. Nobody needs it, nobody misses it.
But yeah, people here like to customize and collect everything. Some guys have even had custom glassware made. So dealer buttons are just another thing.
And yeah, I agree with @TheBigTater that shuffle behind works better. But if you've been doing it the other way for 20 years, you're probably good.
Edit - now that I think about it, I did have a game recently where a player (a PCFer actually) requested a dealer button. So we got one out and used it. Except it kept getting left behind. So I can't say NOBODY needs it - some people do like it.

It doesn’t help anything when they ask “who’s the dealer” and they are holding the deck in their hand. And they just dealt the flop.
But it does help when you are playing and distracted and you want to see what position made the bet you are facing without being “that guy” who asks “who’s the dealer” because the cards are just sitting on the table in an ambiguous spot.
But maybe you guys like that conversation and want to have it every third hand.

A dealer button is also useful in self dealt games that have 5+ hole cards and the stub of the deck is just a few cards left. I will put the dealer button on the stub so it doesn’t get confused with a players hand or the muck.

We deal in our home game the same way you’ve described, though we do still use a button just for the extra clarity it brings. I hadn’t seen this mentioned, but it’s also helpful for keeping track of the game state through breaks.

But also - very importantly - there are some very cool or very pretty buttons. And so, of course, I must own and use those.

Awesome, I appreciate all the feedback. I figured it was a combination of collecting/completing a set, and function in certain instances. I have not tried the shuffle behind method, I'll have to try that next game... but you were right, we have been shuffling ahead now for 20 years, and old habits die hard. It took me this long to get them all in line!

Now that I think about it, we do get a lot of "who dealt?" mid hand, even though someone is sitting there with a deck in their hands, so maybe I need to reconsider a button.

Thanks

The occasional minor mostly-theoretical inconveniences from not having a dealer button are an excellent excuse for getting a custom-printed accessory to match your chipset.

Yeah I just have buttons cuz they’re cheap and match my sets. They get put out on the table initially, but rarely get used. And our rule with 2 decks goin around is ‘Shuffle what you deal’…works very smoothly.

We pass the deal as well, but I definitely need a button. Two reasons

1. They are cool as shit!! :)

2. I am a social butterfly when I play. @Ben8257 might disagree, but I drink and chat non stop. SO...i need the dealer button to cap the cards so I don't ahuffle the damn deck when it's in my hands.

Oh yeah,

Reason #3....because they are cool as shit!!

20200808_181457.jpg

I made a human so that I could teach him how to deal, so that I no longer have to pass the deal. Its been very expensive but its finally paying off, minor glitches in the software, but he gets the job done.

This makes a button very functional for me.
I’ve heard some different reasons for having children, but as an excuse to use dealer buttons? That’s a new one to me.

I made a human so that I could teach him how to deal, so that I no longer have to pass the deal. Its been very expensive but its finally paying off, minor glitches in the software, but he gets the job done.

This makes a button very functional for me.
‘Dad what does rebuy mean?’
‘If your mother ever asks I never say it.’

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom