Hey guys, I have questions about constructing a . (1 Viewer)

Im A Pool Guy

Reaction score
Hi. I am a pretty pool guy, if I say so myself. I know nothing about poker tables, and I need some help. I saw an old one by the side of the road and asked the owner if he was throwing it out and if I could take it. That nice old man said of course and I brought it home. By no means am I at master at poker or woodworking, but I felt as though this could give me something to do after school. I specifically have 2 questions that seem pretty basic that I can't seem to find the answers for or just wanting to make sure about the table.

Question 1: When adding felt to the board, would I wrap the felt all the way around the middle part, or is that only distributed to the top to the board?

Question 2: When designing legs (It was only legs, not holes to screw them into or anything) what is a good design to make for an octagon board that's 5 and 1/2 feet wide? A strong support in the middle or several legs around the perimeter?

Thanks guys!

Some pics of the actual table might help us give you some direction here. Thete are many different designs of tables out there. Octagons with raised playing surfaces, kestle style, chip trays, no chip trays, padded rail. Non padded rail......you get the picture. So until we know which table you have we will have trouble answering specifics.

I would recommend round over octagon. 66" wide is VERY wide. I think most people here would cap diameter at about 54" or so. One sturdy pedestal would generally be good enough base for a table of this size. Felt is typically added over top of a foam layer and wrapped around and stapled underneath the base board.

I'm sure you can search for some step-by-step building instructions, with diagrams, in some of the older posts in this very thread. Good luck with your project!

To answer question 1, when I added the felt I did not wrap around the wood. I went about 1.5 inches from the edge and cut out where the bolts going into the rail go.

If you use a jigsaw the space between the playing surface and rail is only the width of the blade so it will be very tight getting the rail back on. I'm sure there's other ways to do it but that's how I did mine

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom