Here we go again (1 Viewer)

I would like something that would not be too out of the place in the pre-civil war west. I realize that edges pots and inlays violate that rule, but I would like to get as close as I can to the spirit of the time.

That's really tough, so it's going to come down to what you're comfortable with. I was going for 1890s in my original Signal set, so I ditched spots, color artwork, and textures. That is still not accurate, but it's what I was comfortable with. There were clay chips in the 1890s, but no inlays. The artwork was taken from the actual stationary of the hotel at the time, so it is accurate. I had to take creative liberties to get my vision across.

If you're going pre-civil war, then you're going to be looking at pieces of bone, stones, gold nuggets, and gems for poker currency. The fact that you're putting it on a clay chip is the first liberty, so you're already going down that path of re-creating the past in your own vision. Colored artwork no-colored artwork. Current printing technology versus older printing technologies. Period appropriate illustrations versus modern. These are the stylistic choices you should be nailing down. Nail those down and then spit out mockups based on those choices.

czBCKFS.png

Last edited:
..If you're going pre-civil war, then you're going to be looking at pieces of bone, stones, gold nuggets, and gems for poker currency. The fact that you're putting it on a clay chip is the first liberty, so you're already going down that path of re-creating the past in your own vision.

I accept that and am comfortable with it

Colored artwork no-colored artwork.

Prefer limited color or greyscale

Current printing technology versus older printing technologies.

Current printing technology

Period appropriate illustrations versus modern.

Period appropriate

At this point I'm just trying to get a general layout of what I want. Picking specific elements will come later.

Playing with ideas to make the set as period specific as I can while still giving it some character.

ow compare.png

I really wanted to do a dark green quarter for this set, but it's just not going to work with the black $20. This is the best compromise I have found so far:

ow set green.png

Thanks for the responses. It seems to be getting there. I'm about 90% set on the latest iteration.

I could back off my individual themes for the chips and do something a little more colorful. Anyone think that's a good idea?

OW Set 10.png

I'll probably change my mind ten more times, but right now I'm leaning heavily in this direction...

final.png

Are you finalized on your inlay graphic? If not, I have a humble suggestion for one side of each denom, based on the Western archetypes you mentioned in OP.

Instead of a full body graphic, I think a close-up of most of the face (or half the face, with other half in shadow), with some sort of item brandished in one hand, leaving enough room one one corner of the inlay for a denomination.

The Prospector: holding a miner's pick
The Gambler: holding a fan of cards
The Cowboy: holding a coil of rope
The Saloon Girl: holding a fan
The Outlaw: holding a revolver

In general, your color choices compliment the inlay very well. The 5 and 20 are my favorites.

Also, I think the non-standard colors for some of your denoms will give the set a very unique and cool appearance.

I am also a fan of non-standard colours. I already have a non-standard colour ceramic tourney set, so when I eventually to my personal cash set I will stick with mostly standard colours.

Any chance you can brighten up your first row of Silver Eagle inlays with the same brightness as your Last Chance inlays?

Actually, I was going to go the other direction and darken the Last Chance chips. With the light background, your eyes are drawn to the inlay and the chips themselves get a bit lost. By darkening the inlay, the colors of the clay come out more. Either way works. It's just a matter of preference of where you want the focus to be.

Actually, I was going to go the other direction and darken the Last Chance chips. With the light background, your eyes are drawn to the inlay and the chips themselves get a bit lost. By darkening the inlay, the colors of the clay come out more. Either way works. It's just a matter of preference of where you want the focus to be.

Yeah i agree. I think the top row silver eagle inlay melds nicely with the chips. I could see a darker Last Chance doing the same thing and I like the graphic and text from the Last Chance a little more.

and I like the graphic and text from the Last Chance a little more.

Me too. I'd like the name to be more than just your basic text across the center or curved around the top. I don't have the skills to do that, so I have designer lined up to see what he can do with it. He's busy on other projects so I'm waiting my turn. In the mean time I'm just playing with ideas.

Actually, it's 7/8". That's something I will let the designer worry about. We pushed the limit on my last custom set.

Heraldry1.png
Heraldryback1.png

Top row silver eagle for the chips you have mocked. Overall I like the silver eagle with the grey background best, but it doesn't go as well with your color selection. Looking good!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom