Help with Spinners - Nevada Jack Clay Molds (1 Viewer)

BHB

Flush
Reaction score
I have 80-100 Nevada Jack Clay chips that are spinners. I am looking for someone who has experience "un-spinning" them. I tried a suggestion in these forums - but I just ruined the test sample. Anyone interested in this project and if so what would you charge? I know there is no guarantees and there are risks involved.
BHB

Attachments

• IMG_3440.jpg
    IMG_3440.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 284
  • Navada Jacks.JPG
    Navada Jacks.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 285
I had about 20 or some ASM chips that warped apparently during milling. I had been reading up on some of the flattening methods in the forums when it dawned on me that I had a coffee warmer with a programmable thermostat.

I'd put a ceramic chip directly on the hot plate, let them sit 15 minutes and then clamped them as they cooled. It's hard to see in the pictures but 160 degrees seemed to work out the best for me. Every one of them flattened out perfectly.

Attachments

• 20190303_202450.jpg
    20190303_202450.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 183
I had about 20 or some ASM chips that warped apparently during milling. I had been reading up on some of the flattening methods in the forums when it dawned on me that I had a coffee warmer with a programmable thermostat.

I'd put a ceramic chip directly on the hot plate, let them sit 15 minutes and then clamped them as they cooled. It's hard to see in the pictures but 160 degrees seemed to work out the best for me. Every one of them flattened out perfectly.
View attachment 255520
Interesting approach. I'd advise a lower temperature (120 degrees F maximum, especially for Paulson chips), but in theory, your approach should work.

Interesting approach. I'd advise a lower temperature (120 degrees F maximum, especially for Paulson chips), but in theory, your approach should work.
Especially if you're not particularly careful in the time you're cooking them. Too hot and they'll squash.

Edit - I saw today's posts and assumed this was a new thread, but just saw the OP was from a little over a month ago. (if you've already solved this, pay no attention, but if you need help, let me know.)

I have 80-100 Nevada Jack Clay chips that are spinners. I am looking for someone who has experience "un-spinning" them. I tried a suggestion in these forums - but I just ruined the test sample.
I've flattened probably hundreds of warped chips using wood clamps. (I have the luxury of already owning 2 of the type of wood clamps below.) Using the method of -- white ceramic blank/warped chip/white ceramic blank -- in a low oven, for anywhere between 7 & 20 minutes. I typically only do 15 chips at a time in one clamp (31 total chips with the ceramic spacers), then rotate clamps, and will typically cool them in the fridge or freezer. Paulson chips seem to be able to take/need longer durations for flattening. I'm always more careful with ASM or CPCs.

For 'spinners' I would say this -- if the chip used to be a previously flat chip, and is spinning just because it's warped, then it can probably be flattened. If for some reason the chip mold itself made it kind of a 'football' shape, with ever so slightly more clay in the middle than at the edges, then it may or may not work.

Anyone interested in this project and if so what would you charge? I know there is no guarantees and there are risks involved.
If you're willing to pay shipping both ways, and might have something to throw in, like a sample set, or some other chips, I might volunteer to this.
Hey -- I recently saw you gave away 70 of the old, light, plastic ('fake paulson') red & white chips with hat & cane. [I hate calling them 'fake paulsons' cause there not even close -- they're super light, only around 4 or 5 grams each, I think.] I actually have a set of those in red/white/blue. If the guy who got those 70 chips still has them, and doesn't want to keep them, if you can pay to send them my way, I'd be willing to take on your project.

I use light bulbs in the oven to get it to ~125F and put the chips inside for about 25-30 minutes, each one clamped in a wood clamp like the one AWenger uses with ceramic blanks between each chip

Edit - I saw today's posts and assumed this was a new thread, but just saw the OP was from a little over a month ago. (if you've already solved this, pay no attention, but if you need help, let me know.)

I've flattened probably hundreds of warped chips using wood clamps. (I have the luxury of already owning 2 of the type of wood clamps below.) Using the method of -- white ceramic blank/warped chip/white ceramic blank -- in a low oven, for anywhere between 7 & 20 minutes. I typically only do 15 chips at a time in one clamp (31 total chips with the ceramic spacers), then rotate clamps, and will typically cool them in the fridge or freezer. Paulson chips seem to be able to take/need longer durations for flattening. I'm always more careful with ASM or CPCs.

For 'spinners' I would say this -- if the chip used to be a previously flat chip, and is spinning just because it's warped, then it can probably be flattened. If for some reason the chip mold itself made it kind of a 'football' shape, with ever so slightly more clay in the middle than at the edges, then it may or may not work.

If you're willing to pay shipping both ways, and might have something to throw in, like a sample set, or some other chips, I might volunteer to this.
Hey -- I recently saw you gave away 70 of the old, light, plastic ('fake paulson') red & white chips with hat & cane. [I hate calling them 'fake paulsons' cause there not even close -- they're super light, only around 4 or 5 grams each, I think.] I actually have a set of those in red/white/blue. If the guy who got those 70 chips still has them, and doesn't want to keep them, if you can pay to send them my way, I'd be willing to take on your project.

View attachment 255558
I need to count have many I have - but I would for sure - pay for shipping both ways. I am OK if you try and it does not work out. When I did a few - they became much worse. Once I know the number - I will offer you some % of the chips as payment --- if that works for you.

I'll be backup if the deal with Aaron falls through. I've got the ceramic blanks and clamps and have flattened a few hundred Paulsons. And I owe Bruce something over a chip deal awhile back where I (unintentionally) overstated the condition of some chips. He was very cool about it but I'd love a chance to even things up.

I'll be backup if the deal with Aaron falls through. I've got the ceramic blanks and clamps and have flattened a few hundred Paulsons. And I owe Bruce something over a chip deal awhile back where I (unintentionally) overstated the condition of some chips. He was very cool about it but I'd love a chance to even things up.
Thanks for the offer, navels. I'd be glad to step back and let you take on this project.

p.s. Hope you're feeling better, I saw your other thread yesterday about having the flu.

Sounds good, thanks! Man I feel like crap but it is not as bad as the last time i had the flu (23 years ago . . . worst week of my life).

Bruce I'll shoot you a PM. This project is on me, I'll even cover shipping back your way.

Reactions: BHB
Sounds good, thanks! Man I feel like crap but it is not as bad as the last time i had the flu (23 years ago . . . worst week of my life).

Bruce I'll shoot you a PM. This project is on me, I'll even cover shipping back your way.

Go get some rest. We'll keep an eye on Let Go, CL, etc. ;)

Bruce, beware of any incoming packages from Bellevue. I'd disinfect any chips with Lysol before use, and wear rubber gloves and a surgical mask while handling before the job is completed.

We don't need any of those nasty Northwest viruses popping up in Georgia games.

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

All kidding aside that raises a good point . . . I won't be handling anybody's chips until I'm fully recovered.

Bruce, beware of any incoming packages from Bellevue. I'd disinfect any chips with Lysol before use, and wear rubber gloves and a surgical mask while handling before the job is completed.

We don't need any of those nasty Northwest viruses popping up in Georgia games.

I successfully flattened several barrels of warped Metallic Gold Paulson THCs recently, using the Bessey wood clamp method, as described by others in the links above.

I did about 12-14 at a time, two stacks at side-by-side in the clamp, with the THCs separated by blank white ceramics to prevent the chips from imprinting each other.

Kept the oven at about 120 (125 really—I don't have a 120 setting), for only 15 minutes or so. After removing, I just let them air-cool, periodically trying to further tighten the clamps as the chips cooled and shrunk back down to normal. (Note: I find it really hard to remember what direction to twist the handles to tighten; to avoid spilling them all out by loosening instead, I suggest a little practice first.)

The success rate was very high—I’d say all but about one or two were fixed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom