"Sliding Rock Downs" custom set (1 Viewer)

ThinkingFold

Flush
Reaction score
Before we begin..........I GOT SAMPLES! :LOL: :laugh:;):ROFL: :ROFLMAO::)

Now that is out of the way, I've always wanted to do a Cali colored set and have always loved the Lakeshore Inn chips. Being so, I've been planning out a Lakeshore Inn inspired set for awhile now ( inlays are in the works ) but constantly go back and forth on color options. Hoping to get some help from the experts as I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

Here is where it currently stands and while I do want feedback on the whole set, my main point of contention is the $5. That is what I would like to focus on for the time being.

LakeshoreInn.png

Main point of angst with this set. Of all the colors CPC produces, the yellows seem to be the ones with the least pop ( I'm not even bothering with the actual Yellow ). Comparing Canary, Dayglo Yellow, and Dayglo Saturn are not even close imho ( And yes, I could not have taken a worse picture ). Dayglo Peacock and Retro Red are just about spot on to their respective counterparts if you ask me but the yellow is just not there.

LakeshoreInn_Yellow.png

And I do understand this is an apples to oranges kind of thing as lets face it, there have been some just downright amazing yellow CPC chips made ( Again apologize for the shite pic. Last one, I promise. ;) )

CPC_Yellows.jpg

So with that being said, thoughts on a base yellow to go with? Looking at the above pic, I think Dayglo Yellow is the clear winner but really interested in hearing some of the communities feedback on what yellow I should go with.

And while you are thinking on that, I'll spare you the headache of posting more pics I took but I am pretty set on Retro Lavender and Blurple as the spots. Also debated Pink and Retro Blue but really happy with with my top picks but would listen to any feedback on that too.

LakeshoreInnSpots.png

Thanks,
Chris

How old are your samples. My newest set is 2 yrs old and CPC has made HUGE improvements in the DG colors. But yes their yellows are not as bright the the LS $5. I think you are down to DG Yellow and Canary. I think your spot choices here will help bring some BANG to the chip. Shit can the Pink in the mocks and replace it with DG Pink (this color has been really brightened in the last year from the sample sets I have received)

Yellow is definitely the toughest, but I love my canary yellow bicycle shack $5s. It feels a bit retro as a color and I think this is the way to go, especially considering the Lakeshores are a retro Cali set. Also retro violet and blurple would definitely be my choices.

It's funny I was just fondling my lakeshore sample set and mocking up a CPC set in the tool last night. They are probably my favorite Paulson set ever.

One vote for Canary because you're trying to mimic a 'retro' set. DG yellow feels much more modern to me. Totally agree with retro lavender and blurple.

How old are your samples. My newest set is 2 yrs old and CPC has made HUGE improvements in the DG colors. But yes their yellows are not as bright the the LS $5. I think you are down to DG Yellow and Canary. I think your spot choices here will help bring some BANG to the chip. Shit can the Pink in the mocks and replace it with DG Pink (this color has been really brightened in the last year from the sample sets I have received)

Sample set was purchased within the last year. I have noticed that the colors did seem to get brighter. Hard to tell in the pic but the pachyderm palace and bills haus of bluff chips are brighter than the aromory chip which I believe is a few years older than the other brighter chips.

Cool idea for a set. I feel like I’ve always wanted a yellow $5. I know you have locked in the $1 so this will help you imagine what the colour combos will look like when finished.

View attachment 154682
View attachment 154683

The $1 really helped me decide I wanted to try this. Dayglo Peacock and Dayglo Tiger both look great in person. If the $1 ends up looking as good as those do I'm sure I'll be happy with the set.

Agreed on the peacock and tiger, they are my favourite cpc colours.

And just to be more helpful to your quest by pure chance, here we go. Unfortunately mine aren’t bright white base.
BF84242D-6B85-40B2-B98D-120D66A6EE5D.jpeg
0DC61A2F-5137-4C73-9B36-56A4F7BED186.jpeg

Wow. Thanks for the pics. That's Dayglo Pink?

The reason I am considering bright white over white is that I find the brass very noticeable in the white.

Wow. Thanks for the pics. That's Dayglo Pink?

The reason I am considering bright white over white is that I find the brass very noticeable in the white.
Yes it’s Dayglo pink. I had an older chip with dog pink as well and it’s not nearly as bright as the current colour.

Bright white would look much better I’ll admit. I just didn’t want to pay the premium.

For your $20 have you considered maroon as a base? I’ve not seen one in person but on the tool it looks like a close fit to the original.

Yes it’s Dayglo pink. I had an older chip with dog pink as well and it’s not nearly as bright as the current colour.

Bright white would look much better I’ll admit. I just didn’t want to pay the premium.

For your $20 have you considered maroon as a base? I’ve not seen one in person but on the tool it looks like a close fit to the original.

I have but chocolate seems to be the closet match to the actual Lakeshore Inn color. Maroon is just so dark in person. Was going back in forth between chocolate, maroon, and lavender and currently am set on chocolate.

LakeshoreInnColors.png

Fair enough. It looks close on the pics online, but that’s why you need samples.

Hahaha we nearly went 3 for 3, but the arc yellow is just out. I probably prefer the chocolate then, since it’s closer to the original.
AF5826C4-7012-4663-85B0-96028EEA6E93.jpeg

373E7D6A-C4B5-4CBD-8962-F036E577D533.jpeg

I have but chocolate seems to be the closet match to the actual Lakeshore Inn color. Maroon is just so dark in person. Was going back in forth between chocolate, maroon, and lavender and currently am set on chocolate.

View attachment 154686

Speaking of maroon though, I had thought about maroon on the $100 as spots at one point.

Maroon100.png

This set is slowly progressing along and curious on others thoughts on the inlay.

The set is going to be called "Sliding Rock Downs" and is themed after the sailing stones aka sliding rocks on the Racetrack Playa in Death Valley. If not familiar, stop reading this right now and consult your local astronomer on when the next new moon is and head out there on a cloudless night..........or just read the below Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_stones

Anyway, trying to go with a "sliding rock" horse track theme and debating between jockeys or no jockeys on the label. Thoughts on the initial mock-up? Mostly focusing on the jockey vs no-jockey part?

cm1b.jpg

Where are you at on these guys? Itching to see the final set!

Stuck in indecision hell. I keep going back and forth on color combos. It will get done one of these days.

Latest design is below. Dayglo yellow as the base on the fiver with retro lavender and blurple is currently my favorite. However, keep debating about a canary base and replacing the retro lavender with pink. It's a toss up best I can tell comparing the pink vs retro lavender to the actual color on the lakeshore five.

Also, really not a fan of brown chips and wanted to do a $25 vs $20 so switched the base color to lavender on that chip. Still thinking of switching that back to a brown $20 though so another sticking point.

SRD.png

Probably my favourite mock-up yet. I’m a bigger fan of the lavender $25 than the brown one.

I don’t think you will be unhappy with either dg yellow or canary. Both are great colours.

Love the frac too.

I've been thinking about this set again and stuck on a chocolate $20 vs a lavender $25. Any thoughts on which goes better?

SRD_20.png

SRD_25.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom