Tourney Help with add-ons in a Points League (1 Viewer)

hard58core

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Greetings all, first time poster here, but have been lurking for a few years and enjoyed all of the advice posted that led to my new set purchase a couple of years ago.

Anyway, I run a league in which we use a point systems to determine a season-long winner. Without getting into too many details about my structure (unless someone is really curious, I don't mind), I will let you know that we have a two-fold sort of payout schedule. We have a yearly due that everyone pays up front at the start of the season for X amount of dollars. That sum is used for the "post-season/final" tournament's payouts. Then each regular season tourney, we buy-in for X amount and that sum is used to payout a dollar amount for that evening's results. In addition to the monetary payouts each tournament, we also have a league point structure based on one's finish. Nothing new here. In theory the winner gets the largest payout and the most points. Points are then compiled and used as seeding for the finals with corresponding starting stacks.

The one thing that we do differently I think than some other point leagues is that we allow rebuys. We do have a cutoff at about 40% through the tournament, but until that cutoff rebuys are unlimited. You can buy back in for the same amount and receive the same starting stack. The way we curb the "power" of the rebuy is that when you bust out originally, that is your point score for the evening. So regardless of how you end up in the tourney in regards to the monetary payouts, your original finishing position is where you end up in points.

The rebuys are still popular for those who bust early and still encouraged for those still in the game because their rebuying bolster's that nights pot. The one issue we run into, is that it is possible for the player who won the night in terms of league points, does not finish in the money (as we pay out top 3). It has happened more than once, including to myself. Earlier this season, I finished second in points, but out of the money for that night because rebought players finished in front of me.

This doesn't sit well with me, so I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas to incorporate an add-on for those players not knocked out at the rebuy cutoff, and how that could work with points. I don't want to incorporate something that will cause players to play too tight just to make it to the cutoff and add-on, but I don't want those that do make it to that point to be at too much of a disadvantage to those players that busted and rebought just prior.

We have discussed the idea of incorporating an add-on, I just don't know how that should or shouldn't affect the point schedule. It is one thing to be knocked out, finish with your points and then just continue playing for some money that night, but another to coast to the cutoff, add-on, and give yourself maybe a decisive advantage for some points. Is there a good way to do add-ons in this scenario, or do we just leave it alone?

Thanks.

I really dislike the rebuys not playing for points. If you’re paying to play in a points system you should be earning your points whether you rebought or not. I’d say play rebuys and add ons to boost the pot, and only tally points when someone is eliminated for good. Maybe impose a small points penalty for any rebuys and add ons if you want, but the winner should be getting the most points regardless.

We do “season” tournaments as well. I set up our season structure after researching and asking questions here a couple years ago so I honestly forget some of the rationale or basis for some of the decisions I made at that time, but we base the nightly/season points on the final outcome of the night regardless of rebuys.

We allow rebuys through level 5, which was also a decision based on the expertise of the forum. Prior to joining here we allowed a set number of rebuys regardless of when they occurred in the tournament. That has its own problems. But everyone has an equal opportunity to bust and rebuy through L5 so we so no need to complicate the points system. The goal is to win the nightly tournament or finish as deep as possible. So there is no sense in awarding points based on some other arbitrary criteria.

We allow rebuys through level 5, which was also a decision based on the expertise of the forum. Prior to joining here we allowed a set number of rebuys regardless of when they occurred in the tournament. That has its own problems. But everyone has an equal opportunity to bust and rebuy through L5 so we so no need to complicate the points system. The goal is to win the nightly tournament or finish as deep as possible. So there is no sense in awarding points based on some other arbitrary criteria.
Same in my group. Rebuys until 2 hours then it’s freeze out. We don’t have an add on but we do have an option to “top up” at a prorated amount. You can buy chips in multiples of 100 up to the starting stack. So for example if 3,000 is the starting stack for a $30 buy in and you have 1,600 chips at the cut off, you can buy 1,400 more for $14. So everyone has chips to play with and everyone knows this is it going til the end. Makes things a lot neater and easier. For payouts one buy in goes to the season pot, two buy ins go to 2nd place, everything else to the winner (usually 8x-9x). Points awarded based on final tournament finish.

We use a similar format, season scoring, etc. but we don’t allow any rebuys. We do have multiple tournaments per event though. People who get busted out of the tourney can play cash games, smoke cigars or just chill until the next tourney starts. Points are awarded to top three finishers for each tourney and the points and payouts change depending on how many people are playing in any given event. Admittedly, we do it differently than pretty much everyone here from what I can see. We don’t need crazy amounts of tourney chips either, just whites and blacks (or whatever can serve as same). I guess you could call it a hybrid turbo tournament format. Each tourney lasts about 2 1/2 to three hours. Everyone in the league has to host one event and provide all food and drinks. Season loser has to host the finale on his/her dime and this keeps people motivated to show up and stay for all 3 tourneys. Another incentive is your cumulative season point score also serves as your starting stack amount in the finale.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom