Help w/ Color Matching something other than poker chips (1 Viewer)

Pinesol13

Flush
Reaction score
I'm working on designing some custom koozies for a friends birthday. Unfortunately, I was given this project at the 11th hour, I have to get the order in tonight. I'm trying to color match the background of my image to the specific koozies that they will be printed on. All I have to go on is this photo

IMG_8851.jpg

I could just eyeball it. But wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas on the best way to go about it.

thanks

Can you use a distinct border on your graphic, or even a gradient so you don't have to try for a match? I think it'll be really hard considering you don't have access to the items themselves, as the white balance/tint/saturation/etc. of the image of the koozies will affect how they look to you, as well as whether your graphics are in RGB or CMYK, the kind of printer, etc.

Color matching can be a real trial-and-error thing and once you have a match, it's really only guaranteed to work for that one pairing of image-to-printer (and not necessarily even then, if, say the printer ink runs out mid-run and the new ink's formula is slightly different than the old).

You’re trying to match a color that is on a photo?
That’s near impossible to get right. If you had a sample, I’d say try to match it to a Pantone color then get a CMYK equivalent.
The problem also is that the same color can look different when printed on different items. The reflection of that item can change the perceived color. Hell, Pantone makes a color book for coated and I coated paper, because they look so different.

My point is that it’s easy to match a color to the photo…but how accurate is the color of the photo to the real thing?

My point is that it’s easy to match a color to the photo…but how accurate is the color of the photo to the real thing?

You are right that there is literally no way to do it accurately off of an uncolor-balanced photo. Yet you still have to try your best in this situation. You can temperature and tint balance off the white and black foam which I showed in the third image and then take your best guess on saturation/luminosity/hue from there.

Well, I placed the order. They should be here next week. I'm excited to see how close we actually got. Based on the final proof I'm feeling like we'll have a pretty close match! One Time!

1643222056181.jpeg

Attachments

• Proof-final.jpg
    Proof-final.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 31

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom