Help the new guy... (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Ok, I am new to the hobby and purchased 2 sets of chips from Apache.

I bought a tournament set of Paulson Elite chips and a set of Pharoah chips for cash games. I have read a few different threads on this site about the original cleaning and pulling of the chips because I want to treat them right.

I've read differing opinions on whether or not it's ok to submerge the chips in water. I've also read that some soap is better than others...

Long story short, I would greatly appreciate a quick thumbs up or thumbs down on submerging the chips in water and what everyone's favorite soap is.

Thanks in advance!!

In short, yep. Oxi clean in lukewarm water, or a dish soap like dawn. If you just bought them they shouldn't need cleaning. Some people like to apply oil however.

Do some searching for your specific chip types, try just a couple first and you should go good to go.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

GPI Elites are supposed to be Paulson-quality clay (I have never seen them in person or handled them), so they shouldn't need any treatment as new.
In case they 're dusty, just wipe them clean with a damp soft (micro-fibre) cloth. They shoudn't need any oil. Supposedly, at least.

Present day Pharaohs are China Clay, so they need some cleaning and oiling.
Search also for the thread " Oiling chips done right ".

Personally, I would never submerge any chips into water or use any kind of soap/detergent for new, unused chips.
I would shower new chips in a salad strainer under lukewarm (NOT hot) water and wipe them dry and clean with a soft micro-fiber cloth.
Next day I would oil them, using what is called in the USA mineral oil, as follows:
Use a clean (unused) shoe-shine applicator, applying half a teaspoon of oil (absolute maximum) on it, to wipe 5 barrels (100 chips) each time, on their rolling edges.
After having oiled the rolling edges of the "barrels" (20 chips) , wipe them dry with a clean dry soft cloth, and use this (now lightly oiled) cloth to oil the perimeters of the chip faces one by one (that's the hard part if you have a lot of chips).

Good luck and welcome again.

I appreciate the responses... The Elites definitely look much better right out of the box...

The Pharoahs are very dusty/dull and I want to make sure I handle them appropriately...

Looking forward to learning a ton on this board.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom