Help Me Understand Paulson Molds Please (1 Viewer)

robhinton

Pair
Reaction score
I know this info has to be somewhere, but I have not been able to put the right search phrase together. I know Paulson has a few different molds. I am hoping there are some examples and explanations showing the differences. I am working on a cash set, bought 500 of the HSI 1As, and want to make sure I am staying consistent w the molds as I search and purchase some chips to finish off the set. I was looking at the UBs and Jack Detriot 100s, and Harbor Light 100s.

I appreciate your help with this ... and if you have any barrels or racks that you think would go good with these do not be too shy to send me a message !

Those chips you listed are all RHC mold.
The biggest difference you will see is the HSI 1a is a smaller inlay than the others.

Those chips you listed are all RHC mold.
The biggest difference you will see is the HSI 1a is a smaller inlay than the others.
Thanks. I was under the impression that the HSI 1As had a larger recess area for a larger inlay?

B87BCE23-C661-4815-AF6C-3790934921FC.jpeg

Looking at the two chips on the bottom, chip on the left is a THC mold. Looking at the face of the chip, from the outside in, you’ll notice a plain outer edge, followed by a circle (often called a protective ring) followed by the hats and canes, followed by a recess for the inlay.

The chip on the right is RHC mold - the most common Paulson mold (these days, at least.). Looking at the face of the chip, from the outside in, you’ll notice that the hats and canes are right out there at the edge, followed by a bigger recess for inlays.

it’s important not to confuse inlay size with mold type - they’re totally independent of one another. The chips you bought (the HSI $1a) are on the RHC mold, which has a wider recess, but they’ve put smaller inlays on them.
If you look at the chips I posted, you’ll notice that the two chips on the left are both a THC mold, but the one on top has a giant inlay. The two on the right are both RHC molds, but again, the one on top has a giant inlay.
119177B7-DEA2-41D1-958E-27F7E0937B86.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 737758
Looking at the two chips on the bottom, chip on the left is a THC mold. Looking at the face of the chip, from the outside in, you’ll notice a plain outer edge, followed by a circle (often called a protective ring) followed by the hats and canes, followed by a recess for the inlay.

The chip on the right is RHC mold - the most common Paulson mold (these days, at least.). Looking at the face of the chip, from the outside in, you’ll notice that the hats and canes are right out there at the edge, followed by a bigger recess for inlays.

it’s important not to confuse inlay size with mold type - they’re totally independent of one another. The chips you bought (the HSI $1a) are on the RHC mold, which has a wider recess, but they’ve put smaller inlays on them.
If you look at the chips I posted, you’ll notice that the two chips on the left are both a THC mold, but the one on top has a giant inlay. The two on the right are both RHC molds, but again, the one on top has a giant inlay.
View attachment 737759
THANK YOU ! I appreciation the great explanation. I am relabeling the chips I get so i want to make sure they have the same size recess of course. This is a huge help. Thank You

THANK YOU ! I appreciation the great explanation. I am relabeling the chips I get so i want to make sure they have the same size recess of course. This is a huge help. Thank You
Glad to help. One more thing to remember is that the inlay is actually pressed into the clay. So if you remove an inlay, you’ll find it left behind another “recess,” albeit shallower. That is not a problem if you’re relabeling over the existing inlays. But if you plan on removing the old inlays and replacing them, then you need to make sure your new label corresponds with the size of the old inlay, otherwise, it won’t fit right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom