Help me decide: Classics vs. Rounders (2 Viewers)

Update:
Sold off my Classics and got the CPC Rounders set, with a proper @BGinGA T25 breakdown.
They feel amazing, love the CSQ mold!
View attachment 724228
View attachment 724229
Also in the midst of setting my chips up for storage in Warneke boxes, and was always frustrated with not being able to tell at a glance what was in each one. Solved!
View attachment 724230
Thanks everyone for your input. Cheers!

Did you have to buy denominations by the rack or could you just buy 60 of 1 denomination for example?

No need to buy in 100 increments, I sent an email to them with the exact chip counts of each denomination and received a paypal invoice for the whole order.

The Roman mold would’ve been nice, but my understanding is that it is damaged and has been retired.

Really like the rounders set, would much prefer a Roman mold, but considering other molds. Just can’t bare to part with anything yet.
CPC won't do Rounders on the Roman mold without changing the label.

Well, to be fair, CPC won't do anything on the Roman mold...

The Roman mold would’ve been nice, but my understanding is that it is damaged and has been retired.
That is correct.

The existing Roman mold cups are worn out; they can't be used to reliably make chips that would pass quality control. The master die ("hob") to make more mold cups has been lost. Manufacturing a new hob that would work with CPC's equipment is very expensive and would be uneconomical; CPC would have to charge far more for the chips in order to recoup the costs than people would be willing to pay for those chips.

... although, with the price of chips on the second-hand market getting so crazy these days, maybe people would be willing to pay that much for brand-new Roman Rounders. But I wouldn't hold my breath on it ever happening.

Just played our first event with the Rounders and everyone loved them. But I did have one guy say “what’s with the Bear”….. my buddy almost slapped him when the same guy said he didn’t think Rounders was a very good movie…. lol
View attachment 724430

OMG - Marvin Martian is my man. I need that card capper.

This thread got me to thinking about a sample set I picked up years ago. Probably on ChipTalk back in the day. It was based on the Rounders chips, but the inlay was a little different. Had to dig into my sample sets to find them. I should put up pics of all my samples and chip sets some time.

fullsizeoutput_11ebe.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_11eca.jpeg

Loving these rounders sets. I just put together a small 100 chip heads up/travel set and got them in play Sunday and they’re fantastic. I have just enough to support a 3 handed game between my wife, son and myself on vacation and will be taking these on our first trip since 2019 next month. I went with a Pelican 1200 case and it was perfect for the set, 2 decks of Kem’s, a button and a few extra 500’s for 3 handed and color ups.

DECE4805-362A-4475-AC1C-90C38A3D0F7A.jpeg

3F6550C9-5524-447F-A6F4-78438EB99775.jpeg

E9E4A696-1637-4FCA-A0C6-744FC99F201C.jpeg

This thread got me to thinking about a sample set I picked up years ago. Probably on ChipTalk back in the day. It was based on the Rounders chips, but the inlay was a little different. Had to dig into my sample sets to find them. I should put up pics of all my samples and chip sets some time.

View attachment 725472View attachment 725476
Those are jdunford's custom Donkey KGB chips. Great design, and one of the first to use both a 2000 denomination and to indicate all values in cents. Can be used for either cash (microstakes 1c/2c up to $2/$5) or tournament (T1-, T5-, or T25-base).

Those are jdunford's custom Donkey KGB chips. Great design, and one of the first to use both a 2000 denomination and to indicate all values in cents. Can be used for either cash (microstakes 1c/2c up to $2/$5) or tournament (T1-, T5-, or T25-base).
I knew someone on here would know the backstory on them.

Loving these rounders sets. I just put together a small 100 chip heads up/travel set and got them in play Sunday and they’re fantastic. I have just enough to support a 3 handed game between my wife, son and myself on vacation and will be taking these on our first trip since 2019 next month. I went with a Pelican 1200 case and it was perfect for the set, 2 decks of Kem’s, a button and a few extra 500’s for 3 handed and color ups.

View attachment 725683

View attachment 725685

View attachment 725686
This is sick, I really like what you’ve done here, I want to do a similar starter set haha

My tastes are different than most, but I don't like the Circle-Square mold that the stock Rounders chips come in.

I've thought about a Rounders set for a while, and my current thinking is - instead of a Rounders replica or tribute, I'd rather have a Rounders-inspired set, one that takes its design cues from KGB and makes an obvious allusion to it, but has its own personality and distinction. As an example, I was inspired by the Hensel Cardroom set by CT member Damon. This set has the feel of a Rounders set, even though it has a different mold, different spots, and a completely different inlay.

I think the key to doing something like this is:
  • It uses the KGB font ("Copperplate") in red
  • It's mostly black on white
  • It has a large figure in black
  • The text is minimal
  • The inlay design overall is minimalistic
  • The spots are simple
  • At least some of the spots use the colors from the movie, especially a black hundo with green spots since that's the chip that got the most screen time.
Here's a Rounders-esque design I threw together when inspiration struck. It's just a first draft, of course, and is terrible. But the point is that you could make your own custom design which pays tribute to Rounders but has your own personality and preferences incorporated. You'd get something way better than either your current Paulsons or any stock Rounders set, and it wouldn't cost much more than the stock Rounders set. CPC lets you get custom clays; might as well make good use of it.

View attachment 709661

I dug this thread up, as I am also contemplating getting a custom CPC set. I am currently working on the design and my idea was to combine two of my favorite sets, the Rounders design and Le Paulson Noirs. I'll share the progress soon, when I have a decent inlay design.

Update:
Sold off my Classics and got the CPC Rounders set, with a proper @BGinGA T25 breakdown.
They feel amazing, love the CSQ mold!
View attachment 724228
View attachment 724229
Also in the midst of setting my chips up for storage in Warneke boxes, and was always frustrated with not being able to tell at a glance what was in each one. Solved!
View attachment 724230
Thanks everyone for your input. Cheers!
What would be a breakdown for this stack would you reckon?

What would be a breakdown for this stack would you reckon?
The set I have is big enough for a two-table (20 player) T25-based tournament.
Here are the amounts:
T 25 - 160
T 100 - 160
T 500 - 80
T 1k - 140
T 5k - 60

10K starting stacks:
1 table tournament, 12/12/5/6
2 table tournament, 8/8/4/7

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom