Help me decide: Classics vs. Rounders (1 Viewer)

Colquhoun

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I've had this 500 Classics set since 2005 (breakdown a bit strange, i know...) and am seriously considering getting rid of them and getting a CPC Rounders tournament set.
I already have a cash HSI set, and DDLM ceramic cash and tournament sets. This Classics set is kind of in-between.

IMG_2089.jpg

I'm starting to lean towards the Rounders set with proper breakdown but would love all your opinions on what you would do, and if there's anything I should be considering before I jump. I realize ultimately it's my decision, etc...but would love more input from fellow chippers.

Ok, I've had this 500 Classics set since 2005 (breakdown a bit strange, i know...) and am seriously considering getting rid of them and getting a CPC Rounders tournament set.
I already have a cash HSI set, and DDLM ceramic cash and tournament sets. This Classics set is kind of in-between.

View attachment 709584

I'm starting to lean towards the Rounders set with proper breakdown but would love all your opinions on what you would do, and if there's anything I should be considering before I jump. I realize ultimately it's my decision, etc...but would love more input from fellow chippers.
If I had that set, I would sell it and take the money and design & buy a CPC Custom Set. CPC Rounders is for sure better than what you have, but I think you could come up with something better.

The CPC Rounders is way better than the Paulsons. I've owned the Paulson Classics and Pharaoh's, with the latter being twice, and I've sold them all. I don't miss them or regret it.

My CPC Rounders were one of my first sets and I'd NEVER consider selling them. You will find non-chippers even think the bear is cool. No need for customs if you want to save $$$. I think the stock design is great value for the money. I paid $1.75/chip. Not sure what the cost is now, but customs will easily double this price and then some.

I went for CSQ mold and I LOVE my set man. Durable and great feel. I've felted them at least 10 times and they still feel as new.

For me, it's not even a question. The Paulson Chips mold is lame-o. (IMHO) just being honest. I've had thousands in my hands. Sold easily and happily...

YMMV...of course...niche hobby and all

FWIW custom CPC sets do not need to be outrageously priced. Most common Paulson styles spots are L1-L5 anyway. You don't need to go crazy with L11 chips to build a nice set. I just ordered a 1000 chip cash set with dayglow base premium on every chip except the few $100s and shaped inlays on $1-$100 denoms including the most expensive shaped inlays on the greatest quantity chip ($5s) and my average price per chip across the 1000 chips was "just" $3.20. Had I not done shaped inlays the price per chip would have been close to $2.50 chip and no one would say the chips look simple or basic.

The CPC Rounders is way better than the Paulsons. I've owned the Paulson Classics and Pharaoh's, with the latter being twice, and I've sold them all. I don't miss them or regret it.

My CPC Rounders were one of my first sets and I'd NEVER consider selling them. You will find non-chippers even think the bear is cool. No need for customs if you want to save $$$. I think the stock design is great value for the money. I paid $1.75/chip. Not sure what the cost is now, but customs will easily double this price and then some.

I went for CSQ mold and I LOVE my set man. Durable and great feel. I've felted them at least 10 times and they still feel as new.

For me, it's not even a question. The Paulson Chips mold is lame-o. (IMHO) just being honest. I've had thousands in my hands. Sold easily and happily...

YMMV...of course...niche hobby and all
Couldn't have said it better myself. Ultimately, keep what makes you most happy, but I've gotten more compliments on my Rounders than on my CDI Paulsons or other "nice" sets that I have. Plus, having a custom 1k workhorse chip that's a showstopper really helps too ;)

View media item 23276

View media item 23270

....... I just can't stand the advertising mold on them. I just hate that mold.
I wasn't going to be the 1st one to mention that mold, but now that others have I will. I sold my original Pharaoh’s GB set because of that mold so I guess you know where I stand on it....

Can't stand it. Ok, now I've officially said it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Ultimately, keep what makes you most happy, but I've gotten more compliments on my Rounders than on my CDI Paulsons or other "nice" sets that I have. Plus, having a custom 1k workhorse chip that's a showstopper really helps too ;)

View media item 23276

View media item 23270

Definitely regret missing out on these $1K Joe! Beautiful man!

Interestingly, the mold never really bothered me very much...I know I'm in a minority here. I actually have been bothered more by the red inlay with black type on the $1 and $1,000 and the typeface used on the denoms.
Thanks for the input guys!

My tastes are different than most, but I don't like the Circle-Square mold that the stock Rounders chips come in.

I've thought about a Rounders set for a while, and my current thinking is - instead of a Rounders replica or tribute, I'd rather have a Rounders-inspired set, one that takes its design cues from KGB and makes an obvious allusion to it, but has its own personality and distinction. As an example, I was inspired by the Hensel Cardroom set by CT member Damon. This set has the feel of a Rounders set, even though it has a different mold, different spots, and a completely different inlay.

I think the key to doing something like this is:
  • It uses the KGB font ("Copperplate") in red
  • It's mostly black on white
  • It has a large figure in black
  • The text is minimal
  • The inlay design overall is minimalistic
  • The spots are simple
  • At least some of the spots use the colors from the movie, especially a black hundo with green spots since that's the chip that got the most screen time.
Here's a Rounders-esque design I threw together when inspiration struck. It's just a first draft, of course, and is terrible. But the point is that you could make your own custom design which pays tribute to Rounders but has your own personality and preferences incorporated. You'd get something way better than either your current Paulsons or any stock Rounders set, and it wouldn't cost much more than the stock Rounders set. CPC lets you get custom clays; might as well make good use of it.

1027bc08-747a-462c-9a89-2f7614ec4133.png

My tastes are different than most, but I don't like the Circle-Square mold that the stock Rounders chips come in.

I've thought about a Rounders set for a while, and my current thinking is - instead of a Rounders replica or tribute, I'd rather have a Rounders-inspired set, one that takes its design cues from KGB and makes an obvious allusion to it, but has its own personality and distinction. As an example, I was inspired by the Hensel Cardroom set by CT member Damon. This set has the feel of a Rounders set, even though it has a different mold, different spots, and a completely different inlay.

I think the key to doing something like this is:
  • It uses the KGB font ("Copperplate") in red
  • It's mostly black on white
  • It has a large figure in black
  • The text is minimal
  • The inlay design overall is minimalistic
  • The spots are simple
  • At least some of the spots use the colors from the movie, especially a black hundo with green spots since that's the chip that got the most screen time.
Here's a Rounders-esque design I threw together when inspiration struck. It's just a first draft, of course, and is terrible. But the point is that you could make your own custom design which pays tribute to Rounders but has your own personality and preferences incorporated. You'd get something way better than either your current Paulsons or any stock Rounders set, and it wouldn't cost much more than the stock Rounders set. CPC lets you get custom clays; might as well make good use of it.

View attachment 709661
I appreciate the idea!
I wish I had a real inspiration for a custom set. I feel like I don’t have any theme that would be personal and stand the test of time. Same reason why I could never decide on a tattoo!

I do love the Rounders movie, though...so the bear is ok with me.

I love my "lame-o" chips as they have been called and agreed with in this thread!
20210110_134837.jpg

Love the Rounders as well! Especially the CSQ mold version.... my favorite CPC mold, they don't wear and fantastic feel. Very happy to say I get to play them regularly in our local League on @krafticus HOF SpeakEC chips.

Not a huge fan of the classics inlay but the chips them selves I find to be the perfect weight and density for a poker chip. A bit more dense than RHC and THC IMO, not a huge fan of the "Paulson" stamped into the face either but they did a great job producing a durable bright and inviting set of chips for the home game scene. I don't think they are "lame-o" at all and we get a lot of compliments when we have played them in the past both from chippers and poker players.

Seems kind of in bad taste to tell someone asking a question that their chips are Lame-O but hey I guess everyone has their opinions and some can't just state them without thoughts of offending others.

As far as the choice at hand here... personally if you have had the same set if chips for 17 years @Colquhoun it may be time to switch things up and get something new and give another chipper that may have the dreams of owning Classics a chance to enjoy them. Again just my opinion, but the fact that you are debating this seems like your mind is already heading that direction.

Best of luck with your decision Sir!

Fellow Chipper Ben

Last edited:
Never been much of a fan of the Paulsons classics (each to their own though). Really dig the CSQ mold so my vote would be the Rounders

I own both, the Classics were my first Paulson chips I bought back in 2005 and they have served my home game well for 16 years. They have held up very well and are in great condition. I can’t sell them just because of the personal history they have in our games.

I just picked up a Rounders CSQ set during Covid and will put them in play for the first time in a few weeks. Rounders is one of my favorite movies and most in our group are huge fans also so they will be greatly appreciated.

I think you can’t go wrong either way, it all depends on your connection to the chips. Some people can let sets go and live getting something new. Or just bite the bullet, keeps the Classics and still order the Rounders. Very fair price at less than $2/chip.

I love my "lame-o" chips as they have been called and agreed with in this thread!
View attachment 709664
Love the Rounders as well! Especially the CSQ mold version.... my favorite CPC mold, they don't wear and fantastic feel. Very happy to say I get to play them regularly in our local League on @krafticus HOF SpeakEC chips.

Not a huge fan of the classics inlay but the chips them selves I find to be the perfect weight and density for a poker chip. A bit more dense than RHC and THC IMO, not a huge fan of the "Paulson" stamped into the face either but they did a great job producing a durable bright and inviting set of chips for the home game scene. I don't think they are "lame-o" at all and we get a lot of compliments when we have played them in the past both from chippers and poker players.

Seems kind f in bad taste to tell someone asking a question that their chips are Lame-O but hey I guess everyone has their opinions and some can't just state them without thoughts of offending others.

As far as the choice at hand here... personally if you have had the same set if chips for 17 years @Colquhoun it may be time to switch things up and get something new and give another chipper that may have the dreams of owning Classics a chance to enjoy them. Again just my opinion, but the fact that you are debating this seems like your mind is already heading that direction.

Best of luck with your decision Sir!

Fellow Chipper Ben
Ben, when I make it down to VA, we’re gonna play a heads up match with all of the $25-$1000...right?!?!? MASSIVE STAXX o_O

I own both, the Classics were my first Paulson chips I bought back in 2005 and they have served my home game well for 16 years. They have held up very well and are in great condition. I can’t sell them just because of the personal history they have in our games.

I just picked up a Rounders CSQ set during Covid and will put them in play for the first time in a few weeks. Rounders is one of my favorite movies and most in our group are huge fans also so they will be greatly appreciated.

I think you can’t go wrong either way, it all depends on your connection to the chips. Some people can let sets go and live getting something new. Or just bite the bullet, keeps the Classics and still order the Rounders. Very fair price at less than $2/chip.
Yeah, they were my first real chips too...but I never really played them, because I don’t host many home games. I always had them as an “in case” scenario.
I guess it’s time they saw a new home and got some use.

Hey folks! New member here, and I’m learning more about chips every time I read these posts.
I can understand the negativity on the Paulson branding mold - never been too fond of it. I like the Rounders mold design better, but in terms of inlay aesthetics I find Paulsons are better. If it wouldn’t break the bank (which I’m sure it would), I’d recommend custom chips which incorporate the aspects you like most from the varying sets - chip colors, spot colors, mold design, and inlay design. That would make for an amazingly unique Rounders-themed custom set.

I presume a standard size/thickness/weight would be preferable... maybe larger diameter chips for the higher demons?

Last edited:
Hey folks! New member here, and I’m learning more about chips every time I read these posts.
I can understand the negativity on the Paulson branding mold - never been too fond of it. I like the Rounders mold design better, but in terms of inlay aesthetics I find Paulsons are better. If it wouldn’t break the bank (which I’m sure it would), I’d recommend custom chips which incorporate the aspects you like most from the varying sets - chip colors, spot colors, mold design, and inlay design. That would make for an amazingly unique Rounders-themed custom set.

I presume a standard size/thickness/weight would be preferable... maybe larger diameter chips for the higher demons?
Agreed, the Rounders inlay is pretty plain. If it hadn’t been in the movie, my opinion of it would probably be “meh”.
BUT, since it IS a faithful replica of the prop chips, I like it as-is. Would LOVE it on the Roman mold, but the CSQ is definitely a great substitute.

maybe you can buy/borrow a sample set? when i follow threads like this i realize it's very personal and for me i have to actually have chips in hand for a while before I realize, mostly, what bothers me about a chip and why i don't want it anymore. it's cheaper than buying the entire set to find that out right?

maybe you can buy/borrow a sample set? when i follow threads like this i realize it's very personal and for me i have to actually have chips in hand for a while before I realize, mostly, what bothers me about a chip and why i don't want it anymore. it's cheaper than buying the entire set to find that out right?
I’ve handled a number of different CPC chips in different molds, so I know what I’m getting.
However, I agree that it’s imperative to get samples if you’ve never touched them.

Hello, I am brand new to the forum here and saw this tread while I was searching for info on Paulson Classics. I thought I would give a naive new person’s perspective: Your Classics are phenomenal! I would be very proud to own a set like yours and completely overwhelmed to have a set like @Ben8257.

This thread reminded me of a similar situation when I moved into my new home. The neighborhood is covered by a home owners association that owns a couple of acres surrounding our homes; the land is used for trails and open space. Within the first few months of moving the HOA had a meeting to discuss selling some of the land.

During the meeting the board president put me on the spot and asked what I thought. The gist of what I said was: “We have a gem here and it would be a sin to sell, once the land is sold it’s gone forever.” We voted and it was nearly unanimous not to sell.

Obviously a different situation for your Classics but for me the same conclusion: You have a gem…

Update:
Sold off my Classics and got the CPC Rounders set, with a proper @BGinGA T25 breakdown.
They feel amazing, love the CSQ mold!
4D4E60E5-2544-416B-8287-971E40144CE2.jpeg

4DCBBAB4-32C9-45F3-BA8E-79BC18A278D7.jpeg

Also in the midst of setting my chips up for storage in Warneke boxes, and was always frustrated with not being able to tell at a glance what was in each one. Solved!
02943FF8-40A0-45B6-8FD4-F5E98E74AEF5.jpeg

Thanks everyone for your input. Cheers!

Just played our first event with the Rounders and everyone loved them. But I did have one guy say “what’s with the Bear”….. my buddy almost slapped him when the same guy said he didn’t think Rounders was a very good movie…. lol
8E3D46D7-060F-45F0-B41E-0494938B70FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Love those chips.

It’s been a while since I’ve watched rounders. Is a bear on the chips for any reason? Or it just happened to be a bear and could just have easily been something else?

Love those chips.

It’s been a while since I’ve watched rounders. Is a bear on the chips for any reason? Or it just happened to be a bear and could just have easily been something else?
The bear is a Russian symbol, and these were the ones in Teddy KGB’s club.

Really like the rounders set, would much prefer a Roman mold, but considering other molds. Just can’t bare to part with anything yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom